PDA

View Full Version : Measuring tiny charges

Kermit1945
09-13-2012, 05:07 PM
The Goex chart ( http://www.goexpowder.com/load-chart.html ) lists 4 grains of FFFg as the load for the little .32 S&W cartridge.

How do you/would you safely, accurately, consistently measure this little BP? I really want to try black in this round.

As a reality check, my priming charges on some of my flinters are almost that size!

Don McDowell
09-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Scale

1874Sharps
09-13-2012, 06:49 PM
I would find or make a scoop that dispenses the charge you seek (as measured by a scale). For the 32 S&W you are loading, you actually do not need to precisely measure the BP load. Simply find a scoop that fills the case slightly higher than the base of the boolit when seated. You do not have to worry about excessive loads or high pressures with this BP load. You simply have to fill the case up so that the boolit slightly compresses the powder on loading. You will likely find you get better accuracy by not sizing the brass. You do not need neck tension like you do with a smokeless load, a good roll crimp will do. You also will need a boolit that has a generous grease groove and a quality BP lube such as SPG. Shooting and loading BP cartridge is addictive!

Kermit1945
09-13-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm sort of thinking of using some small cartridge brass--there sure is a lot free for the bending over at my club range!--and making a dipper and soldering on a handle. I thought a .25 rimless case to let me twist a wire loop around it in the groove and solder or JB Weld it in place. Could even get carried away with turning a little horn or rosewood handle for the cute factor. Seems it should be a simple matter to adjust the capacity.

Am I on anything like a right track?

I just want to fill the case enough to compress the powder some?

I'm starting to load BP. Lots of smokeless experience and muzzleloading, but just starting out with this stuff.

Oh. Just thought. Will my ol' Belding & Mull measure do the job? Hadn't thought of that! Where did I put my dunce hat?

1874Sharps
09-13-2012, 07:34 PM
I make scoops the same way as they are needed. I take a spent case and trim it as needed and put a wire handle on it and mark the load on it. Then you have it for that load forever. The key to loading BP cartridge is not having an air gap between the base of the boolit and the top of the powder. (I know there are some out there that will debate the necessity for this, but we can all agree that this way is totally safe.) I am not familiar with the B&M measure, but it ought to work. Lyman makes a #55 model just for BP with an Al hopper, but for years they advertised their standard #55 as suitable for BP and it will certainly work.

Don McDowell
09-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Yes your belding and mull will work just fine for blackpowder.
You could actually just make a scoop from one of your empty cases.

bigted
09-13-2012, 10:14 PM
my lee scoops do everything i ever ask of them

Baja_Traveler
09-13-2012, 11:41 PM
A .22 long rifle case holds 4.5 grains of 3F Swiss. You could use that as a measure, but I've been loading them for over a year now using my RCBS Uniflow to drop the charge through a .223 case with the base cut off. (the wives tale that static will set the black powder off has been proven as bunk in multiple Tests (http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html))

http://www.pbase.com/baja_traveler/image/138993218.jpg

Tatume
09-14-2012, 06:58 AM
Scale

+1

Take care, Tom

freedom475
09-14-2012, 08:25 AM
One thing to keep in mind...If your little 32 s&w is a break open (Schofield) design, you will break the extractor if you try to open it after shooting BlackPowder through it.

There is just a tiny little notch that catches the extractor star and forces your shells out.

I found that out the hard way and now use Trail Boss powder in mine (after waiting 3 years to find the parts to get it repaired)

Texantothecore
09-28-2012, 10:10 AM
A .22 long rifle case holds 4.5 grains of 3F Swiss. You could use that as a measure, but I've been loading them for over a year now using my RCBS Uniflow to drop the charge through a .223 case with the base cut off. (the wives tale that static will set the black powder off has been proven as bunk in multiple Tests (http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html))

I read the test and it is very thorough as well as his explanation of why the BP would not light using static electricity.

Surculus
12-11-2012, 02:15 PM

Can I just say that is a wonderful pic? Those boolits look just peachy, love the way they catch & reflect that diffuse light source. What mold did you use? I've wanted to experiment w/ some heavier than 40g 22lr loads, since you basically can't get the old Lapua 48gr load any longer [at least, not at a price you'd *shoot* the stuff... Collectors only need apply! :shock:]

[PS: Yes, I'm aware of the Aguila SSS 60gr load, but that's technically a 22short w/ a bullet crammed on top that's so big you need a 22lr chamber to shoot it... Not quite what I want. :neutral:]

BeemerMark
12-11-2012, 05:49 PM
A .22 long rifle case holds 4.5 grains of 3F Swiss. You could use that as a measure, but I've been loading them for over a year now using my RCBS Uniflow to drop the charge through a .223 case with the base cut off. (the wives tale that static will set the black powder off has been proven as bunk in multiple
Thanks for the info!
Also, I never understand the reason for measuring BP by volumetric loads. A powder dispenser measures volume, and you equate that volume to a weight. Why can't you do that for BP?

I have couple of BP revolvers and shoot them semi-regularity, but always follow the instructions. I don't load cartridges but I have never understood all the cautions about loading by volume. Seems to me if you get the right volume to fill a case, weight and then set the powder dispenser, you should be good to go.

Michael J. Spangler
12-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Sorry to hijack but can you explain why black powder does better without resizing the brass? And why you don't need neck tension? Thank you!

Lead pot
12-11-2012, 07:18 PM
I use a scale and powder trickler for my .22 rim fire loads.

w30wcf
12-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Kermit,
As Don indicated, your B&M would work just fine as mine has. Fortunately, for higher volume .22 LR b.p. loading, I found an old Herters powder measure that has a much smaller than normal (.25" diameter) hole in the drum. I have found it to be really, really, really, accurate :) in dispensing 4.5 grs of Swiss into .22 L.R. cases.

w30wcf

w30wcf
12-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Can I just say that is a wonderful pic? Those boolits look just peachy, love the way they catch & reflect that diffuse light source. What mold did you use? I've wanted to experiment w/ some heavier than 40g 22lr loads, since you basically can't get the old Lapua 48gr load any longer [at least, not at a price you'd *shoot* the stuff... Collectors only need apply! :shock:]

Yes indeed, Baja Traveler's pic is a great photo showing the bullets from the Mos mold. They weigh about 43 grs. The heaviest bullet I have tried in b.p. .22's weighed 46 grs. (NEI 225-45). They shot aok but had to be single loaded in the Marlin.

I do still have about 1/2 box of those 48 gr Laupa's. Awhile back, I pulled a bullet and, as expected, it had a much longer heel...

w30wcf