PDA

View Full Version : Want info about Cast in the 7MM Mauser

jh45gun
05-22-2007, 08:30 PM
OK I have a 7MM Spanish Mauser that was put together from parts. Bought a barreled action and the barrel was shot so ordered a bolt and a another used barrel several years ago from Springfield Sporters. Got it all put together and got lucky the new/used barrel headspaced perfectly with the bolt I ordered. Made the stock into a manlicher style and cut the barrel into a carbine length and gave it one of those bolt kit jobs that you see advertised for under 20 bucks and then put a high set of rings on it for a scope as the bolt kit still needed a high set of rings to clear. Still got to put a scope on it had a old weaver post set up on it but decided I wanted a scope with crosshairs on it. Anyway I am thinking about just shooting cast in this any one else here shoot cast in a 7MM Mauser? If they do I was wondering about what loads your using and if anyone could sell me down the line about 20 bullets so I can see how this gun shoots cast before I invest in a mould. I am in no rush for the bullets I have to get some brass lined up. The bore is typical of a Spanish bore not mint by any means but the rifleling looks good and it was a dark bore when I got it but I have done some cleaning and used one of the home made electrical bore cleaners on it and it has some shine to it now. A lot better then the barrel that was on the gun origionally. Springfield Sporters sold the barrel as a useable replacement barrel and I have shot it with some milsurp loads and they shot ok and some factory which shot better. I am hopeing this will make a good cast gun.

MtGun44
05-23-2007, 12:33 AM
I have shot the Lee 150 and an LBT 150 gr in my 7x57 Ruger with
some good results with 18 gr 2400. 19 gr produced patterns, not
groups, but YMMV. IMR4227 was tried with poor results. All the Lee
groups were much worse than the LBTs. My bore is in top shape,
not sure what typical less-than-pristine milsurp will do.

I have several Mausers and a Rolling Block in the caliber and the
Rolling Block will run about 1.5-2" at 50 with the same load, altho
it tends to clump 4 into 1" much of the time. May be the jerk behind
the trigger and TINY sights. :roll:

Haven't tried cast in the Mausers, one with a pretty rough bore that
still shoots very well with jacketed 175 RN. Try 47gr IMR4831 behind
a 175 Hornady RN with a moderate Lee Factory Crimp (signifiant
accy gains there) if you want a good jacketed load. This duplicates
the original factory load at about 2400 fps.

I can send some of the Lee and LBTs if you want to try them.

Good luck, would enjoy a report back.

Bill

jh45gun
05-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Hard to say with milsurps some pretty ugly looking bores will still shoot well. This bore does not look that bad so I think it will shoot ok. Sent ya a PM and thanks for the info and 18 grains of 2400 eh. I really like 2400 for my cast shooting.

Hackleback
05-23-2007, 10:30 PM
There are some large ring carbine barrels floating around- brand new in 7x57. It think Sportsmans warehouse has some. I think they are for a Brazilian carbine. I have one that some day will be made up into a scout scoped carbine.

versifier
05-24-2007, 12:44 AM
Lee 130's seated as long as possible and surp 4895 gave some good results, 5shots in 1-1.5" @50yds with my Argie. WC860 gave me the worst group I ever shot in my life, same boolit, 5shots in 38" @ 50yds. Some hit dead on sideways. Go figure.....

Buckshot
05-24-2007, 02:33 AM
There are some large ring carbine barrels floating around- brand new in 7x57. It think Sportsmans warehouse has some. I think they are for a Brazilian carbine. I have one that some day will be made up into a scout scoped carbine.

..............Yup, made by FN for the M1922 Brazilian carbine. In the mid '90's when those first popped up, an outfit in Genesseo, IL was selling Brazilian M1908's for $89 each and those barrels (in the white) were $19 each.

.............Buckshot

Bret4207
05-26-2007, 07:38 AM
I've had pretty good luck in my '93 with the RCBS 28-160FN. Bore is less than stellar, but it does good work with cast- under 3" at 100 on good days- and really good with long jacketed stuff like the 160 Sierra at about 2500 fps. Nice old guns, cheap, available and no one wants them. Used sanely I think they're fine all 'round rifles.

9.3X62AL
05-26-2007, 12:35 PM
I stalled around too long on getting a CZ-550 in 7 x 57, and now they are no longer imported. Of course, with the 6.5 x 55 (Ruger) and a 30-06 in the gun safe, the "need" for a 7 x 57 is hard to justify.....but "need" doesn't have a lot to do with it, I suppose.

No time with the 7 x 57, can't help with data.......but the groups scattering at a certain velocity point may be the fault of quicker twists and/or undersized boolits. Most 7 x 57 barrels use a 4 turns/meter twist rate (1-9.75"), and faster twist rates place greater demands on cast boolit integrity--dimensional and metallurgic--as pressures, velocities, and spin rates increase. A nominal .284" groove diameter may or may not be present in a milsurp barrel--dimensions can be "poetic" at times.

Like the 6.5 x 55, the 7 x 57 is a capable, workman-like caliber that does its job without fanfare and attracts little attention from the mainstream gun press. Good luck with your venture!

jh45gun
05-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Yep I have a 6.5 I made into a scout rifle. I may have ruined any value of it as a milsurp as I cut it down and made a permanent mount for it but I love it and it shoots fantastic. I killed a deer with it last two years ago and it worked great.