PDA

View Full Version : H&K P7 M8 review

mtnman31
09-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I'd like to give a review of an H&K P7M8 pistol that I recently traded for. This is somewhat significant for me personally because it is the first time that I have EVER parted with a gun. My philosophy has always been; buy once, keep forever. For those not familiar with it, the P7 is a gas-operated 9mm squeeze cocker with a single stack mag. The pistol is no longer in production but is commonly found on auction sites and ocassionally some are imported (often former police weapons).

Link to an informational website about the PSP/P7 family of pistols.
http://hkp7.com/p7m8.htm

Wow, what a gun. First, it is way over engineered. There are many other designs that are simpler, less complicated, and easier/cheaper to manufacture but, the function is flawless and the pistol is very accurate. Its barrel sits low and I feel this contributes to the low recoil - recoil is less perceptable than with other similar sized pistols. Follow up shots are quick. Sights on my model are aftermarket, fixed, Tritium night sights. The trigger pull is short and smooth. This is one of the best factory trigers I have ever used. Once the grip is squeezed, the trigger pull is short and breaks clean. There is little take up on the trigger which is taking a little getting used to. Trigger reset is positive, both tactile and audible. I guess that technically speaking, the weapon is a single action only. The trigger feels the same for each shot although I did not weigh the pull weight. Personally, the fantastic trigger and superior reliability of the pistol are where it outclasses most other pistols.

The gun has no safety lever to engage or disengage. Once the mag is inserted and the slide racked, loading a round into the chamber, the gun is in a safe carry mode. To fire, you grasp the grip and squeeze, which enables the weapon to be fired by pulling the trigger. The "squeeze" doesn't interefere with aiming the pistol or working the trigger. It is positive but not so heavy a squeeze that it interferes with the principles of accurate shooting. A nice feature of the squeeze cocker is that when I change magazines, I don't have to thumb a slide release or slingshot the slide. Simply squeezing the grip sends the slide home and allows me to stay on target.

A few drawbacks to the pistol and its design: The Gas operation means that after sustained firing it can get hot. There is a heat shield in the trigger guard to help insulate the hand from the heat build up. Another drawback is cost. The pistol is expensive and so are just about any accessories you will need. Factory mags run around $55 when they are in stock. All my reading and research says that the few aftermarket mags that are available are junk and to not waste the money. Holsters are available in a variety of designs. The pistol is sized such that it won't disappear into a back pocket but should be easily concealed with the right clothing choices. I don't anticipate many failures or breakages with the gun, but if it did break, parts replacement might be a challenge since the weapon is no longer manufactured. Let's just hope I don't break anything on it.

Disassembly of the pistol is not intuitive but once learned is easily accomplished. My pistol is coated with Robar's NP3 plating and literally wipes clean. The barrel is polygonally rifled and doesn't collect much fowling. A scraper and brush are required to ocassionally clean the under-barrel gas block. Again, to buy an HK branded cleaning kit will set you back a few bucks but there are suitable alternatives that any resourcefull shooter should be able to find and use.

I will say that since this gun is gas operated, I will not be putting much lead through the barrel. It will mostly be jacked or plated rounds. The gas port is not easily accessable and if it gets leaded up would be a pain to clean.

If anyone is interested, I can post a photo when I get home. I realize that this pistol isn't the most common one out there and that there may not be many folks interested in them, but I had a few extra minutes to kill and figured I'd share my experience with you all.

Von Dingo
09-13-2012, 07:35 PM
They are nice, enjoy. Is it a heel mag release, or U.S. style?

mtnman31
09-14-2012, 12:28 AM
US style mag release, ambidextrous and similar to the release they have on current HK pistols.

Tim357
09-14-2012, 12:36 AM
I envy you the pistol. I should have grabbed one whilst I was stationed in Germany back in the early 80s...

tejano
09-14-2012, 10:45 AM
After reading up the P7M8, I found one and kept it for several years. It was a good shooter and I tried to love it but never really warmed up to it. In central Texas, it and the gun would get darn hot after less than 30 rounds. At the time I probably had more than 200 handguns stashed in safes so eventually it got shot less and less. Finally, it became trade bait for something else. I try not to buy the same model gun again, but with the passage of more time I might make an exception for another P7.

MT Gianni
09-14-2012, 11:59 AM
I shot one in the early 80's and enjoyed it. A friend was eying one @ a LEO show in Boise when Massad Ayoob mentioned that if injured you may not be able to squeeze it hard enough to cock it. He thought it a very minute risk to take. They have always been pricy but worth it to those that own them.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-14-2012, 12:57 PM
The P7 is great gun, one drawback is that it has no slide lockback lever that can be realistically activated during operation. This makes stage 3 malfunction clearance drills more than challenging to say the least.

We found that for some reason women that were having difficulty with other designs had a significant improvement in their scores when they switched to the P7. I knew a male officer that had a special authorization from his one gun fits all Dept to carry a P7. Then I knew another deputy that bought the P7 because he figured if that was his gun he’d be married that unique design and he wouldn’t spend a bunch of money buying other guns. He bought every different holster under the sun for that P7.