PDA

View Full Version : Custom Sprue Plate?

DonH
09-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Where or from whom can custom sprue plates be obtained? I have two custom molds (maker no longer active) with which I wanted slightly faster fill so enlarged the pour holes. It is said a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while but this blind GUY did not and got the hole too large on each mold. Said plates would be 3/16 inch thick.

Lefty SRH
09-13-2012, 01:14 PM
I've made several of my own sprue plates.

I'm still new to casting but what happens when the hole is too large? What size is too large?

montana_charlie
09-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Where or from whom can custom sprue plates be obtained?
Copying a simple shape like a sprue plate is not rocket science.
Getting the hole positioned correctly takes careful measuring.

Is there no small machine shop in your town?
No gunsmith?

CM

0verkill
09-13-2012, 01:41 PM
It's subjective. When the sprue is too large it takes too much effort to cut the sprue and open the mould. There may be other problems, but that's all I know.

DonH, since you need a new plate and Lefty SRH has made some you should work something out.

Lefty SRH
09-13-2012, 09:38 PM
It's subjective. When the sprue is too large it takes too much effort to cut the sprue and open the mould. There may be other problems, but that's all I know.

DonH, since you need a new plate and Lefty SRH has made some you should work something out.

I'm a machinist/tool and die maker. The down side to me making a new sprue for you is I can only do the job when my shop has some down time. I never know when I be able to complete any of my own projects.
We can talk about it though, PM me if you are interested. I have some 3/16" thick O-1 flat ground tool steel set aside that I use for my sprue plates.

Lefty SRH

.22-10-45
09-14-2012, 02:31 AM
The other problems of a too large sprue hole in casting with a soft alloy such as for BPCR bullets, is the very real possibility of bending or distorting a bullet.
One of the worst offenders of a too large sprue hole are the old original Ideal 1 piece integeral handled moulds. The .22 and .25 often have the hole nearly as large as base dia.!
There is an old practice illustrated in some of the very early Ideal handbooks to get around this..moving the sprue-plate over..so as to leave a cresent shaped opening near mould edge. I have tried this on both original Ideal/Lyman moulds, and more modern ones..done right..it leaves base nearly as smooth as a nose-pour. as to improved accuracy..jury is still out?

Buckshot
09-14-2012, 03:10 AM
...............You can get ahold of Red River Rick here on the board as I believe he makes custom SP's. He's a Vendor Sponser. Send him a PM.

...............Buckshot

smokemjoe
09-14-2012, 09:19 AM
My friend has shop and made some up like this , 1/4 thick, hole for 30 Cal. .144, the top gate is .550 wide at the top and holds alot of metal for cooling, Makes them for RCBS, all the lyman molds, I made 400 -Lyman 311284s once and checked each bullet , I they were allwith- in 3-4 tens of a gr. and 10 bullets went out to 1 gr. over, Best spruce plate your ever use.
dont tell him were you got his email but here it is, or mention my name, His is cast bullet shooter, Schutuzen and blackpowder , kofronent@iowatelecom.net
HIs name is Bill.

fatnhappy
09-14-2012, 10:43 PM
My friend has shop and made some up like this , 1/4 thick, hole for 30 Cal. .144, the top gate is .550 wide at the top and holds alot of metal for cooling, Makes them for RCBS, all the lyman molds, I made 400 -Lyman 311284s once and checked each bullet , I they were allwith- in 3-4 tens of a gr. and 10 bullets went out to 1 gr. over, Best spruce plate your ever use.
dont tell him were you got his email but here it is, or mention my name, His is cast bullet shooter, Schutuzen and blackpowder , kofronent@iowatelecom.net
HIs name is Bill.

1,000th post SmokemJoe. Congrats

Lefty SRH
09-15-2012, 08:17 AM
.180" seems to work best for me based on the SP's I've made for myself. I've got a new NOE mold and the holes seem rather small, I'll likely open them up and cut a trough down the center.

JIMinPHX
09-15-2012, 10:26 PM
I've had good luck making sprue plates out of plain old 3/16" 1018 cold roll mild steel.

If you let me know what mold you have, I'll see if I have a sprue plate drawing that I can send you.

canyon-ghost
09-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Kal has rebuild kits for Lymans:

http://kal.castpics.net/Molds3.html