PDA

View Full Version : First Long Range ML Match

Boz330
09-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Went to Camp Atterbury and shot my 1st LR match Tues. and Wed. Started at 800 yd and did fairly good I thought. Shot a 75-1X. Then we went back to 900yd and the wheels fell off. The wind was 6 gusting to 18 on a wind gauge and the match director said that the range flags were indicating more like 20+. It was tough and I ended up with a 42. Everybody had a tough time there. Wed we shot the 1000yd and I ended with a 50-1X. Man that bull gets real small at that distance.:shock:
Headed to Friendship today to shoot the Mini Creedmore. That should seem like a cake walk since it is only 500yd and it is easy to see through the sights. For sure I have a lot to learn about wind reading. According to my buddy the wind drift at 800 is 1MOA for each mile per hour cross wind component. The worst part about Camp Atterbury is that there is no back stop so it is difficult to tell where your misses are.:violin:
Everything considered I had a good time and starting to learn. There are a lot of things to keep track of while you are shooting and that ability only comes from doing it.

Bob

newton
09-13-2012, 12:55 PM
What are you shooting? Gun that is.

Boz330
09-13-2012, 08:28 PM
What are you shooting? Gun that is.

Pedersoli Gibbs.

Bob

newton
09-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Pedersoli Gibbs.

Bob

Pretty guns. What caliber and what projectile?

Boz330
09-14-2012, 01:30 PM
45cal. Boolit is a Higginbottom mold run through a pound die which changes the profile and slugs it up to .442. It is then paper patched and sized to .449. Weight is 535gr.
My shooting buddy has a NASA program that designs nose cones for rockets depending on velocity and has been using these designs to design boolit noses. He then has a D-reamer made on a CNC lathe and then hardened and makes the dies. Simple but very effective. Not high production like the Corbin stuff but way more affordable and for a ML I can make enough boolits for a match in less than a half an hour.
I'm waiting on a 40cal reamer so I can start PP my 40-65. You would think I would get better service when I'm his Guinea pig and I don't pay anything for his hours of labor. You would think all of those beers I let him buy for me over the years would be worth something.

Bob