PDA

View Full Version : 2x Newbie questions

SeabeeMan
09-12-2012, 09:19 PM
I apologize for my ignorance in advance. I'm still VERY new at this but I love my cast boolits so far. I'm looking at getting in on the 311365 group buy so I can have spire point 30cal bullet with the option of HP'ing them. They will get fed to my Marlin XL7 30-06, my dad's 700 30-06, and my brother in law's myriad arsenal of 30cal firearms.

1: What does "Drill for probe" mean on some of the group buy orders?

2: I know RG's are a type of HP pin that slides to make casting quicker/easier. Is it worth waiting for something like this with an RG option, or for a few hundred boolits a few times a year easy enough with the HP setup this will have?

StratsMan
09-12-2012, 11:11 PM
"Drill for probe" means that the buyer wants to insert a thermocouple to measure the temperature of the mold, and the maker will do that for him...

Sorry, can't help on the details of the RG option... I didn't opt for an HP on the 311365; I got the flat meplat option...

Wayne Smith
09-14-2012, 03:56 PM
If you want to cast hollowpoints either the Cramer (Mihec) or the RG are the way to go. You don't have to worry about pin heat, losing the pin, or fumbling or dropping the pin into the melt (done that, got the T shirt!).

runfiverun
09-14-2012, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=rich_kildow;1844159]I apologize for my ignorance in advance. I'm still VERY new at this but I love my cast boolits so far. [QUOTE]

that's why this forum is here.
if ya don't know you ask,you'll get answers and opinions.

Shaky
09-16-2012, 11:10 AM
As I understand it, the rg system will not work in calibers smaller than about .32 or so, and the single pin is the only option for smaller hp's.