PDA

View Full Version : S&K scout scope mount on M-N

Junior1942
05-22-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm considering putting an $84.50 w/shipping S&K scout scope mount on my 38 M-N. Already got a 3x pistol scope with perfect eye relief. Comments?

grumpy one
05-22-2007, 05:42 PM
I can only comment on the general idea of scout mounts on bolt action military rifles. I put one on my K98 because I was finding it too difficult to shoot accurately off the bench with the Lyman receiver sight I was using, mainly due to advancing age. Off the bench it works pretty well, but the situation is artificial and I don't think I'd be able to hunt with it. The sight line is determined by the bell diameter and the height of the hand guard, and is way above the sight line with iron sights. Finding the exit pupil takes a while because of the pistol scope's long eye relief, the high mount, and the low comb on the military stock. All of the scout mounts I've seen on military rifles of that vintage seem to have these problems, some of which apply equally to conventional scope mounts on these rifles.

I got into this situation one step at a time: can't shoot from the bench, so use a scope. Don't want to bubba-ize the rifle, so put a scout mount on the original battle sight base with no other changes. If you want to look at it positively, it works: if I do my part I can get MOA results off the bench despite my lack of skill and the age of the rifle. However if you want to look at it negatively, it makes a nice old rifle look ridiculous and it is only suited to set-piece sniper shots, not normal hunting. Fortunately it can be removed if I ever finish load development on the rifle, with no permanent harm done.

siamese4570
05-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Junior: I have one on my M44 with a cheap BSA 2X pistol scope. Works great! Scope did slip once but a drop of silicone inside the ring fixed it. I was a little queazy about spending almost as much on the mount as I did on the rifle.

PS: Like your website, keep up the good work!

Siamese 4570

C1PNR
05-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Darrell over at ParallaxBill's has Scout Mounts for several different milsurp rifles. I have some and they are all very well made.

At least it's one other option for you to look at.:)

http://p102.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm25.showMes sage?topicID=14808.topic

is the link.