PDA

View Full Version : Trim die

lastborn
09-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Do any of you use the Redding trim die in 45/70? I have never used a trim die and am curious as to exactly how they work. Are they a fixed length die, in other words, do you just run the brass as far as it will go and file flush? Do you adjust the die and/or the ram to the length you want to trim? If not adjustable then what length does your brass end up?
Thanks

Pavogrande
09-12-2012, 04:25 PM
I think there are two main styles of file trim dies --
One is a threaded die to use in your press like a normal sizing die -- you just run the case all the way in and trim. Of course, being a manufactured item there are tolerances so you need to measure your case after and possibly adjust the setting.
The die is case length less shellholder deck heigth. Which is about .125" if I recall correctly.

The other type is non-threaded and you just insert the case and file it off - or set on a flat surface to make sure the case is seated in the die - the non-threaded are case length dimension.

I have rcbs and pacific threaded file trim dies and herters, forster, dillon non-threaded. all seem to work about the same.

Then there is the lee set up. --

Char-Gar
09-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Do any of you use the Redding trim die in 45/70? I have never used a trim die and am curious as to exactly how they work. Are they a fixed length die, in other words, do you just run the brass as far as it will go and file flush? Do you adjust the die and/or the ram to the length you want to trim? If not adjustable then what length does your brass end up?
Thanks

Both Redding and RCBS make file trim dies that screw into the press. In use these dies are screwed in just like a sizing die until they take the slack out of the linkage. You then take a couple cut file and remove any excess sticking above the top of the die. The dies are hardned and the file won't hurt them. The cases are then deburred and that is it.

The Redding die, just trims and the RCBS dies full length sizes as well.

1hole
09-12-2012, 07:56 PM
"...do you just run the brass as far as it will go and file flush?"

Yes. I don't care that it's not adjustable.

r1kk1
09-12-2012, 08:33 PM
The CH4D version does not size either. I use these dies when I do cartridge conversions like 375 SuperMag, 30 & 357 Herrett's as well squirrel family cartridges. I use a Dremel, then a file. Works well.

Take care

r1kk1

lastborn
09-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Can someone with the redding 45/70 please tell me what the trim length is. I can't find it on their site or at midway or graffs.

Char-Gar
09-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Sure..The Redding trim length is the correct length.

File trim die makers don't publish the material you want. I have such dies in every caliber I reload, and the length is always correct.

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 04:58 PM
ditto: As long as they are under mx length and all the same we're ok.