PDA

View Full Version : 8th round Garand problem.....

Harry O
09-12-2012, 02:28 PM
I know that this is for jacketed bullets, but bear with me. I asked at the CMP forum and did not get an answer. I spent Monday sighting in a new (to me) -- old (to the Army) -- M1 Garand I got from the CMP. It looks like 7 of the 8 shots are more accurate than the other CMP Garands I have. However, the 8th shot is way off the rest of the group.

I can keep 7 of the shots in the 10 ring from 200 yards with a sandbag rest. However, the 8th shot (the one that ejects the clip) is way low and to the right. Specifically, it is 8" to 11" from the Center and between 20 degrees to 40 degrees to the right of Center (that is roughly half the number of inches it is low). There does not seem to be anything else wrong with the gun. It does what it is supposed to do, including ejecting the clip at the proper time.

I have seen that my other Garands sometimes shoot a little bit out of the group with the first shot (usually a little high and to the left) and sometimes a little bit out of the group with the last shot (usually a little low and to the right), but none of them are anywhere near as far out as this one is.

Is there some part that I need to replace that is causing this problem?

Gtek
09-12-2012, 04:50 PM
To be honest, that seems very strange to me. First attempt would be to load a clip of dummies with the same projectiles you are using and hand cycle through. Maybe last round is diving or climbing and being banged up on way into pipe. There were jamming issues with first run early rec's, but that was worked out a long time ago early in manuf' proccess. Gtek

OBXPilgrim
09-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Can you move the rear of the bolt up and down (or the whole bolt) when it's empty, but a bit more difficult with at least one round under the bolt?

Sounds to me like it may be a worn bolt. If it will move easier without a round under the bolt (like only the 8th round), that may be where your flyer is coming from.

smokemjoe
09-13-2012, 09:34 AM
I have had over 50 M1s and never had a problem like that, Let me know, Joe

Harry O
09-13-2012, 07:32 PM
I checked this evening. I have some dummies that I hand cycled through the Garand a few times. No apparent problems.

Also, the bolt seems tight (tested by pressing down on the top of it). Doesn't appear to be loose from side to side, either.

Any other tests I can run? I am thinking of getting a new spring set for the Garand and change all of them as a WAG.

TNsailorman
09-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Interesting problem. I have heard stories about the 8th round "failure to feed" but not your problem. Allthough I have owned and shot Garands since 66', I have never had a jam or failure to feed, or for that matter, "flyers". I am not an expert by any means and I am very much interested in what you might find out about your issue. Keep us posted, please. Sorry I don't have any help for you but without firsthand experience, I don't want to muddy the water or have you chasing ghosts. The old Marine that I use to rely on for information on M1 issues is no longer with us. James