PDA

View Full Version : Case Activator for Redding Powder Measure?

novalty
09-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Does anyone make a case activator that will work with a Redding Powder measure? I see one from Hornady and RCBS, and RCBS states for the Uniflow. The Hornady CAPD says it will fit other similar measures.

wcp4570
09-12-2012, 12:18 PM
I have the RCBS powder link die on my piggyback with a Uniflo measure. The handle on the powder measure has to be changed with the provided handle that comes with the kit. This setup works flawless. I also have a Redding measure and the handle mount is different but I think the new handle could be easily modified to fit the Redding measure using only hand tools. I have not physically seen the Horady kit but it should be similar to the RCBS. I'm away from home right now but will be back later today and will look again to see if I think there would be any difficulties with modifying the arm.

wcp

novalty
09-12-2012, 12:42 PM
I have the RCBS powder link die on my piggyback with a Uniflo measure. The handle on the powder measure has to be changed with the provided handle that comes with the kit. This setup works flawless. I also have a Redding measure and the handle mount is different but I think the new handle could be easily modified to fit the Redding measure using only hand tools. I have not physically seen the Horady kit but it should be similar to the RCBS. I'm away from home right now but will be back later today and will look again to see if I think there would be any difficulties with modifying the arm.

wcp

WCP, thank you very much. Appreciate your offer to look into this. I will eagerly await your response.

Thanks again!
Novalty

wcp4570
09-12-2012, 10:52 PM
OK, finally got back home and did some honey-do's and now its bed time but here is a quick look at the powder measures. The first picture shows it mounted on the press. Then a close up of the linkage that replaced the handle. Last picture shows the Redding and Uniflo side by side. The Redding handle is 3/8" wide and the linkage that comes with the kit is 1/2" wide. Just a little grinding or filing will do the trick. The only problem I see is the powder measure handle rests at a little different angle. I think you have enough adjustment with the setup that this could be properly adjusted. If I can help answer any more question feel free to shout.

wcp

novalty
09-13-2012, 09:23 AM
WCP, Thank you so much for taking the time to looking into this and take pictures! Looks like if the Redding was used the linkage may have to be adjust to allow the handle to finish the travel down further, so as to avoid any powder fill problems. Or does on the linkage attached to the measure have a sliding nut feature so that you can adjust travel?

wcp4570
09-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Novalty
I have to admit a mistake on my part when I suggested the link kit would work on the Redding powder measure. On the Redding powder measure the funnel at the bottom is a press fit and the Uniflo funnel uses threads to attach the funnel. In this case my Redding measure would not work with the RCBS link kit, I don't know what the Hornady kit uses.

I was looking into your adjustment question when I discovered the difference between the powder measures. There is a part that must screw into the bottom of the powder measure that activates the measure when a case is present. Here is a picture of the Uniflo and the stem that screws into the bottom. Sorry for not looking into this in more detail last night.

wcp

wcp4570
09-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Novalty
I'm still looking at my old Redding powder measure, I've had it since 1973 so the one you have may be different. After taking mine apart I discovered I could make this work if it was the only powder measure I had. See picture of the inside of the neck, it has 2 steps, the smaller measures .506inch. The Part that screws into the bottom of the measure has a thread size of 9/16 by 18pitch National Fine (see the picture of the thread cleaning nut), the drill size to tap a hole for this thread is 33/64 (just 1/64 larger than 1/2 inch) which this hole is just a little smaller so it should work. I don't have a tap this size or I would prove it. It would only have to be tapped about 1/2inch deep for the adapter to be screwed all the way in.

As for the adjustment for the linkage, the up and down adjustment of the measure once it is installed in the press should take care of the travel of the handle. I looked at the Hornady instructions and it seems to a just a little more adjustment than the RCBS one offers.

wcp

novalty
09-13-2012, 05:02 PM
WCP, appreciate the effort. I wouldn't have the equipment or cahoneys to drill and tap a Redding Measure. Right now I am debating the pros and cons with which way I should go with adding a additional press to my bench. Right now I can just about keep up with my small demand for ammo with my RockChucker II. In all honesty I shoot about 1500-2000 rounds of straight-wall pistol and will probably shoot about 500 rounds of rifle ammo ammo during the seasonal period of time that I can in Maine--have a long time in winter to replenish my stock. Been waying out adding one of the 3 presses:

1. Redding T7
2. Hornady LnL AP
3. Dillon RL550B

The amount of ammo I shoot really doesn't necessitate a progressive, but would really help with speeding up production as busy as my life is with 2 young kids. I have a RCBS Uniflow now that I could just add to a T7 and have all the rifle dies I have set up on one tool head and not have to change anything, then use a different measure to do my pistol rounds.