PDA

View Full Version : Top punch

trying2learn
09-12-2012, 09:29 AM
I was looking around and saw "top punches" associated with some breads of molds. What are they used for? Or did I misunderstand what they are for? I dome see any holes other then the spot for the lead to be poured in at in the mold cavities. Could you wonderful people enlighten a green behind the ears newbie please. Thank you guys. I am so ready for my casting equipment order to show up.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

largom
09-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Top punches are used with a lubricating/sizing press. They are made to fit the profile of the boolit nose so that the nose is not damaged when the boolit is pushed in the lub/sizer. I hope you have ordered or acquired The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook as it will give you the info. to get started casting.

Larry

trying2learn
09-12-2012, 09:54 AM
I have one. Yes I am in the process of reading it. I was just wondering what that was as I saw it when I was looking at molds. It was down at the bottom there it says things like , people also bought this or we recommend this for the product you are looking at.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

MT Chambers
09-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Those punches are used with the Lyman and RCBS lube/sizers, and are usually cut with the same cherry as the mold.

theperfessor
09-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Lyman and RCBS punches have a 17/64" (.265") diameter straight shank and are interchangeable between the two brands. Saeco uses a different type of top punch that screws into the press. Some vendors supply the top punch with their molds, usually in the Lyman/RCBS style. There are cross reference tables available to match Lee molds to Lyman punches.

See my sig line for more info.