PDA

View Full Version : Is this goal doable?

Blackwater
05-22-2007, 12:09 AM
I've got a #4 Mk I in .303 that I will be getting restocked and sporterizing into a pretty nice stalking type rifle of sorts, and I've been toying with ideas. It'll be nearly dedicated to cast bullets, I think.

What are the chances of recreating the old original 215 gr. bullet load using a gas checked lead bullet - velocity 2000-2100 fps.? I'm looking hard at the 311284 mould for this. I keep thinking, what with all the great refs for hollowpointing, that I could make a fixture on the lathe that'd allow me to use center drills (for the flare above the stubby point), drills and assorted burrs to custom shape a hollow point in it, and then test that big ol' long bullet out for expansion, maybe out to 300 yds., though my eyes won't let me shoot irons that far at anything but gongs and stuff nowadays.

I know some here have done something like this, or darn close, and what's life without a challenge? I'm thinking I will likely have to firelap the bore, and even then that top velocity may be a bit high. That long bullet ought to retain its velocity well on out there, and IF I can get it to expand, it'd be a darn fine killer, I think, on deer and such. Though I INTEND to use irons only, my eyes and my demands for shootable accuracy will likely make me use a scope, at least some of the time on it. I'm such a vascillator sometimes about this!

Is this asking too much, or is it possible? Just trying to get a bit of a feel for what MIGHT be possible, and any recommendations that might enhance my chances of success would be appreciated. Proper bullet fit to throat and bore are a given, of course. I may even be willing to rebarrel this old gun. The stock's going to be really neat. A buddy has the pattern, and we'll be sending it and some wood off soon to have them roughed out on a pantograph. I'm really looking forward to this rifle's completion, and of course, HAVE to have some "big plans" for it while I wait. Thanks for any tips and experience with this.

JeffinNZ
05-22-2007, 02:54 AM
YES.

I shoot a 220gr CBE 314 220 GC in oven heat treated wheel weights (BHN 33) over 41gr of H4350 for 2000fps in my SMLE (fully wooded, fully worked) and it produces 2 MOA. Bullets are sized .314 for the .312 groove and .314 throat and seated just off the leade.

Lyman's 314299 would be a good bet also.

Quite doable.

Bret4207
05-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Nothing in the world to stop you. It's been done before and you have a bunch of good moulds and custom mold makers to help you. Try the Forster hollow pointer jig in their case trimmer for the hollow point.

NVcurmudgeon
05-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Blackwater, Before you buy a 311284 it might be a good idea to slug your rifle. My 314299 casts .314" and is very accurate in my .3138" Fazakerly No. 4. Don't know if 311284 will be fat enough. Also, check out the CBE boolit Jeff posted about, it sure looks like a good one.

dromia
05-22-2007, 02:23 PM
As has been said nothing stopping you developing the load its been done successfully before.

However I would pause before chopping a No4, there are lots of good commercial sporter conversions on these actions done when these rifles were more plentiful, here's a picture of my main stalking rifle which is a Parker Hale conversion.

The beauty of these are they were fitted with new barrels made to a better spec than the military.

I refinished mine with an oil finish the original being varnish and fitted it with an old 4x Ajax scope which gives me at least and extra 15 minutes at dawn and dusk, these rifles are real cheap going for £80-£100 over here as the .303" isn't a sexy hunting cartridge any more in the UK. Any one shooting deer in the UK at more than 150 yrds is just idle in my book.

So please give the chopping of a No 4 a second thought, I recognise that its your rifle and you can do with it what you will and respect and defend that right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/Brora%20Jan%202005/RoeandRifle.jpg

Blackwater
05-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Point well taken, Dromia, but this one was already bubba'd before I got it. Only paid $69 for it, so I've got some leeway moneywise, and I'll just be trying to complete what was already started long ago, and make it worth something in the end. I was never much of a fan of these old rifles until I tried one, and discovered the cock on closing feature IS kinda' neat, IF I can get used to the different feel of it. My buddy who's made up the pattern stock for it is a real pro, literally, and one of the finest stock makers I've ever known. His rifles FEEL "right" when you pick them up, even better than the G&H's and Biesens and Goens rifles that I've handled. Very slender schnabblized forend, and very gracefully and ergonomically curved grip, well placed comb and cheekpiece, etc. I'm just trying to make something worth while out of it, and it's turned into a passion for me. He's sending the pattern stock, bondo and all, with some blanks to a friend (and formerly fellow student of Ackley's school) of his he's used for a long time for such things, and will have the contours of the pattern stock duplicated in some decent wood. That rifle of yours is really nice. Thanks for the pic.

And thanks to all for the encouragement. I think this may take a while, but what's time when you're engaged in a labor of love, right? Encouragement coming from you boys is REAL encouragement, too!