PDA

View Full Version : Tang Peep Sight

newton
09-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Well this is a question spawned off another topic of mine, but I wanted to catch a lot of opinions on this so I figured a new thread was in order.

Do tang mounted peep sights loose their zero at all when you take off the barrel and re-attach it? I know that the barrel locks up in the same spot for the most part, but has anyone ever noticed this happening to them?

I am trying to think about it reasonably, and I guess its just my inexperience with peeps that is limiting my knowledge. So, I figure that if enough people that have them on their rifles can comment, it will help my mind.

Thanks in advance.

Stonecrusher
09-11-2012, 08:03 PM
My T/C Hawken never moved on me. I love the T/C tang sight but unscrewed the aperature for hunting as I couldn't see throught it in lower light situations. In fact, I put a LER scope on the barrel so I could see. It also allows me to put the breech end in a bucket of warm water for cleaning.

newton
09-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Tempting. Really tempting. With the gun I have I could see it being a tack driver. A scope would be pretty cool.

idahoron
09-11-2012, 10:33 PM
The Lyman 57 SML sights stay sighted in. I have set up a BUNCH of these rifles now and every one goes back to zero every time. I have never had the slightest problem with the Lyman sights. I keep the slider in my shirt pocket all the time until I am hunting. Then I put it on and set it. If I am in the truck or on the ATV I keep it in the pocket until I get off. Then I set it for 100 yards and head out. If I am in a blind on a water hole I take a range finder and get the distance. Then I set the sight for that distance. I wait for the animals to move into the shooting lane and let them have it.
For spot and stalk I get as close as I can get the range and set the sight. Once I pull the set trigger that animal is in trouble. After The animal is killed I take the sight back off and put it in the shirt pocket to keep it safe. I baby my guns and sights. Ron

10 ga
09-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Dittos " " for what Idahoron said! I have the lyman 57SML on 3 different sidehammer guns. My Cabelas 50 with 1-60 twist, Cabelas 58 with 1-48 twist and Lyman 50 cal Deerstalker with 1-48 twist. They are all good shooters. As I got older (62 now) I had to use the peep sights and put one of the "fire" type on the front sight. Works wonderful. Have never had POI change whenever I take them down to clean and that is every trip to the range or hunting. Only thing I do different from Ron is use threadlock to set everything in place when I get them sighted in, and then just leave them there. Haven't had anything move. Only thing I noticed is the price of those 57SML sights now. I think they were in the $55-$60 range when I got them and that was about 15 years ago. Best, 10 ga

x lead

mortre
09-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Not a tang sight, but I have a receiver sight on my M77 Ruger (NECG). If it wonders a little when I remove it and put it back on, it's note enough for me to notice.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

newton
09-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Well I scored today. Went by this out of the way place and found an old TC tang peep. It's the short compact style. The ones that are sold out everywhere you look. Found two of them so I figured I would get both and help someone out who is looking for one and sell one on here.

Can't wait to try it!

newton
09-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Well I test fitted it today. Glad I did. I think the instructions they send are geared toward people who shoot round balls and close shots with conicals. I read others having issues with the sight being maxed out height wise when mounted all the way back. It's true. It would work back there but the sight would be almost at the very top thread. One guy even had it fall out while hunting. That would be a bad day.

So I'm going to mount it about 1/2" forward of the rear screw. One thing I thought of is leaving my rear sight on till this one is mounted. Should make it easier to sight in. Then I can take the stock sight off.

I hope the other one I put up for sale doesn't take too long to sell. Kinda put up cash I wanted to use for getting started on that other project with my inline. Oh well, it's the way it goes. That place had a lot of old things you can't hardly find anymore. They had scope bases for TC muzzleloaders that were really long which I assumed is so you can mount them to the rear sight tapped holes. One for a CVA too.

I'm tempted to get one just in case one day I come across another renegade or hawkin. I'd leave one set up with the peep and one with a scope. If only I had all the money in the world!