PDA

View Full Version : Zinc WW for zinc parkerizing

wrinkles
09-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Would zinc wheel weights be a good source of zinc for make a zinc park solution? Any done this? Figured it would be a good use for them.

sqlbullet
09-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Given how cheap you can buy park solution I think you might be better off to sell the zinc for scrap and use the money to buy park solution.

edler7
09-12-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't see why not. Clean off any paint/grease/dirt first. One weight should last a long time.

I've heard of guys using a new penny as a zinc source. They drill a hole through it to let the solution get to the zinc.

wrinkles
09-12-2012, 03:16 PM
I don't see why not. Clean off any paint/grease/dirt first. One weight should last a long time.

I've heard of guys using a new penny as a zinc source. They drill a hole through it to let the solution get to the zinc.

Great, found a use for my collection of Zn wheel weights.

Why not buy the park solution? Doing as much as possible all on you own is half the fun. ;)

sqlbullet
09-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Doing as much as possible all on you own is half the fun. ;)

To each his own :drinks:

I recently re-parked and then cerakoted a Witness, so I like to do it myself, but I have limits.

Like the old saying goes about making a cake from scratch: "First, create a universe filled with planets.....":)

wrinkles
09-25-2012, 12:24 AM
OK used Ospho, zinc flakes and distilled water then half a steel wool came out great. Too bad I painted it over. :)
Used a drill press to drill holes in the zinc WW and desolved the shavings.

Mohillbilly
09-25-2012, 01:55 AM
Go to auto parts and get metal prep , check bottle . It should say Phosphoric acid , dissolve the zinc into it , and dilute to a working solution , heat use a stainless , or , glass pot , put in clean (deoiled ) steel wool to passivate it , and park your piece , throw solution out when cooled .