PDA

View Full Version : Small 32 rifles

Molly
05-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi fellows,

I'd be interested in a Sav 219 in 32-20 if anyone wants to part with one. I'd also be interested in most any bolt rifle for 32-20, but no levers please.

Hmmm. Would also be interested in ANY rifle for .32 Long, RF or CF, as long as it has a decent bore.

If anyone has something they'd like for me to look at, they can PM, or e-mail me at kennethmollohan@yahoo.com.

Thanks

9.3X62AL
05-21-2007, 11:52 PM
I'd be interested in a Sav 219 in 32-20 if anyone wants to part with one.

And I'll pick up the cast-off 22 Hornets that Molly sets aside. :-)

Bret4207
05-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Find Rem #4 rolling block 32 RF and change the pin to CF. Savage 23's are still around for a bolt gun. Love mine to death.

Molly
05-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Find Rem #4 rolling block 32 RF and change the pin to CF. Savage 23's are still around for a bolt gun. Love mine to death.

I've got a #4, in .32 RF. My experience with it is why I want a [reloadable] CF. I made a CF breech for it, but I don't want to rechamber it to .32 S&W Long. The .32 Colt will work, but it's particularly accurate, and not too well designed for reloading. The Sav 23's are pretty scarce here'bouts, ad I don't think I've ever even seen one in 32-20.

John Taylor
05-22-2007, 09:23 AM
I have re barreled a few 4-10 shotguns to 32 S&W, should work with the 32-20 just as well. The #4 Remington is a little small for a 32-20, pushing the edge of the strength of the action. A #2 Remington would be great for this cartridge. Just about any of the larger bolt actions ( bigger than a 22 LR or Mag ) can be set up to shoot 32-20, I make barrels in 22 Hornet for the model 70 Winchester. The bolt face would need to be built up and it may be a nightmare to get to feed from the mag.

Molly
05-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi Mr. Taylor,
> I have re barreled a few 4-10 shotguns to 32 S&W, should work with the 32-20 just as well.

Now we're talking!

> The #4 Remington is a little small for a 32-20, pushing the edge of the strength of the action.

Oh, I agree. I wouldn't want to ruin mine anyhow: It's a really sweet little squirrel rifle, and I probably have enough original Win 32RF ammo to last me the rest of my life. The newer Navy arms stuff won't shoot any better than minute of washtub in it, but the Win stuff does fine.

> A #2 Remington would be great for this cartridge.

Hmmm. You know, I have one of those Uberti RB pistols (.22 RF Mag) that would do fine here too. Could you give me a ball-park estimate on the cost of altering it to a .32 S&W Long or .32 Mag rifle? About all that would be usable would be the action and maybe the forend. The breech would have to be converted to CF, and the tangs bent for a buttstock. Would also like a rough estimate of the other option, something along the line of a Handi-rifle in .32 S&W / Mag. Give me a PM so we don't tie up the thread too much, OK?

Thanks a lot.

Bret4207
05-22-2007, 12:57 PM
I've got a #4, in .32 RF. My experience with it is why I want a [reloadable] CF. I made a CF breech for it, but I don't want to rechamber it to .32 S&W Long. The .32 Colt will work, but it's particularly accurate, and not too well designed for reloading. The Sav 23's are pretty scarce here'bouts, ad I don't think I've ever even seen one in 32-20.

You can do as I have to do and get a Green Mtn barrel, have it fitted to the #4 and things should work fine.

Hackleback
05-22-2007, 02:11 PM
I think Sarco had some Swedish bolt singleshots in 32-20 some time back. Might check them out.

Molly
05-23-2007, 07:55 PM
You can do as I have to do and get a Green Mtn barrel, have it fitted to the #4 and things should work fine.

Not a bad thought, but I think I have a Martini Cadet coming in .32 Long ...

Boz330
05-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Not a bad thought, but I think I have a Martini Cadet coming in .32 Long ...

Viola!!! what more could you ask for than a Martini in any caliber, but that one could be a lot of fun. I enjoy the he!! out of my 310 Cadet and have a 7X30 Waters coming and have a 357 if I ever get around to completing it.
Ken, where do you shoot in Cincy? I was raised there and shoot a little out at the Miami Rifle & Pistol Club for the BPCRS matches.

Bob

Molly
05-24-2007, 09:57 PM
I think Sarco had some Swedish bolt singleshots in 32-20 some time back. Might check them out.

Thanks for the suggestion. I DID check them out (a few seconds after getting your note), and passed the info to another 32-20 fan. He was already aware of them, and said he'd called Sarco about them. They were kinda pricy for guns that had (apparently) been tossed in a shipping container from the overhead pass, gouging the stocks up badly, even the ones with no extractors. But the real killer was the verbal bore description of "Dark, with some rifling visible" my friend got from Sarco. I'd e-mailed them and asked what kind of premium I'd need to pay to get one selected for a v/good to excellent bore. Sarco hasn't bothered to reply.

I think I'll keep looking.

Molly
05-24-2007, 10:10 PM
> Viola!!! what more could you ask for than a Martini in any caliber, but that one could be a lot of fun.

My sentiments perzaactly!

> I enjoy the he!! out of my 310 Cadet and have a 7X30 Waters coming and have a 357 if I ever get around to completing it.

Another Cadet fan! Man, if I'd just had the sence to stock up on them when they were $15 each, in mint condition! I have 3 1/2 Cadets: One a match .22, one (and a half) being a switch barrel 32-20 & 25-20, and one that I'm putting a 7.62x39 barrel on when I get around to it. Had one in .357 once, and one of the stupidest things I ever did was to let someone talk me out of it.

But all hope is not lost! I have a friend - an excellent machinist, with a well stocked shop of his own - who is threatening to put the Cadet back into production. But he's been making that threat for a few years, so who knows?

> Ken, where do you shoot in Cincy? I was raised there and shoot a little out at the Miami Rifle & Pistol Club for the BPCRS matches.

I'm a member of the MRPC myself, and do about all my shooting there. I plan on a trip this sunday after church. I've got a couple of friends that I've recently taught to reload, and they're anxious to see how well they have done. Gonna be around? I'd be delighted to sip a coke or just bust primers with you.

Boz330
05-25-2007, 08:37 AM
I won't be there this weekend, there is an IPSC Match at my farm. I mostly come up for the Black Powder Cartridge matches. It is a 350 mile round trip and I can't do that every weekend. During the summer I usually fly up. Only takes an hour that way and isn't to much more in gas money.
Do you happen to know Dick Hoff? Dick and I grew up together and do a lot of hunting and shooting together. I usually get him to pick me up when I fly up. Just wish I was as good of a shot as he is. He kicks my butt pretty regularly.
I look forward to meeting you sometime up there.

Bob

Molly
05-25-2007, 06:37 PM
> I won't be there this weekend, ... I mostly come up for the Black Powder Cartridge matches.

Well, you have my e-mail, so gimme a holler when the next one comes up. I'll make a point of being there.

> Do you happen to know Dick Hoff?

No, afraid not. But I'll look forward to meeting you.

Regards,
Molly

Bret4207
05-26-2007, 07:32 AM
> Vi
But all hope is not lost! I have a friend - an excellent machinist, with a well stocked shop of his own - who is threatening to put the Cadet back into production. But he's been making that threat for a few years, so who knows?

>.

With the high quality casting techniques and computer mills we have these days I would think actions like the Martini and Savage 99 could be produced at reasonable cost. I mean, jeeze, they're making Spencers and all sorts of other off the wall action, why not a small frame Martini?

05-26-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm interested in the idea of using a single shot 410 as starting point to make a .32 S&W rifle. Seems like a wonderful way to build your way into the world of underpowered, small caliber "Rook Rifle's". I've always wanted one for the use of minimal components, short range tinkering. If Mr Taylor could provide a little information, or at least point me in the right direction, I won't have to reinvent the wheel, if you know what I mean.

Dragoon
05-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Here is an article by Ed Harris. http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/ed.html

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the Mr. Taylor who posted above built the rifle in the article.

05-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Dragoon,
Exactly what the Dr. ordered! Thank you for the heads up about the article. I have a bag of .32 S&W's (not even the Longs, just the plain, shorter S&W's), and have always wanted to put together a very short range victuals getter. Turkey, squirrel, rabbit, etc. should succumb with very minimal meat loss from this type of rig. I have a touch of hearing loss from my misspent youth, and now regular reports are painful. Earplugs and this set up should be a joy. Thanks to all for this posting.

John Taylor
05-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Here is an article by Ed Harris. http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/ed.html

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the Mr. Taylor who posted above built the rifle in the article.

I confess, I have built a few rifles for Ed. One of them was a 45 ACP on a break open 410, also a few other calibers including the 32.

uscra112
06-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Oh, yes, the little .32 S&W. Wonderful cartridge in a boys' rifle. Very quiet, no recoil either. My next one will be on the Stevens 101 action, which was the centerfire (.44 shot) version of the Marksman. A very well made little thing - works a lot like a Maynard. They do show up from time to time at gun shows, although the last one I got ran me well over $300. Very easy to rebarrel - it's just a slip shank like a Favorite.

Mickey Rat
07-04-2007, 11:28 PM
I have the entire Savage 23 set: 22LR (3), 32-20, 25-20 & 22 Hornet. I also have a Savage model 40 Super Sporter in 30-06, the big brother to the set. One of the 22LR has a factory threaded barrel for the Maxim silencer. Every one of them are tack drivers. My first one was the 32-20. After reading up on it, I found out about the other chamberings and the hunt was on. Expect to pay 250.00-300.00 for Hornet, 50.00 less for others.