PDA

View Full Version : How to shape rubber grips?

FergusonTO35
09-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Anyone know of a way to shape and trim rubber grips without making them look too awful? I see there are lots of Pachmayr grips for cheap on Fleabay and other places. I would like to experiment making them into different shapes and sizes.

Bill*
09-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Dont know if it'll work on grip rubber, but I needed a bench block for a project and made one out of a hockey puck. Couldn't cut or drill it decently till I froze it. Then it machined like wood. It would probably sand OK then too. But the freeze only lasts so long then it has to go back in. Just a thought.

fecmech
09-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Belt or disc sander, that's how recoil pads are fitted to stocks.

45-70.gov
09-11-2012, 04:41 PM
last time i did it
hogue on a superblack hawk.....wayyyy to big

used a sazall blade.......after the sand paper
looked horrible but really felt good and thats what i am concerned with

then i just went to the packmyer on all black hawks
hogues on all smiths

Goatwhiskers
09-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Freeze it. Might take more than one trip to the freezer, but even the soft spongy type recoil pads can be worked this way. GW

rockshooter
09-11-2012, 11:49 PM
dremel tool with sanding drum- use high speed and it will give a very smooth finish- but work slowly and dont heat up the rubber too much

FergusonTO35
09-12-2012, 11:37 AM
There are always a plethora of old Pachmayr Presentation grips on Fleabay for a variety of guns. As much as I like this grip its way too big for anything less than an N-frame or Redhawk. Ever see one on a snubnose? Looks utterly rediculous. Now, if its feasible to trim it down to where its just a little larger than factory panels that would be super. These sound like very good suggestions, I'll give 'em a try.

MtGun44
09-18-2012, 12:03 AM
+1 on dremel sanding drum. Leaves a reasonably nice surface, but not shiny.

The freezing sounds interesting.

Bill

KCSO
09-18-2012, 09:26 AM
I have reshaped rubber griips with a belt sander. Just be aware that most of them have a steel insert and if you cut into the insert you will have problems with the steel poking you. An 80 grit belt will work better than a fine one as the finer the belt the more melting of the rubber. Finish with a plam sander and say 120 or 150 grit.