PDA

View Full Version : Quick and Cheap Lube

Rex
09-11-2012, 08:23 AM
I needed some boolit lube in a hurry the other day so I melted a cube of beeswax in a pan and poured in enough automatic transmission fluid to have a sticky goo, pan lubed some 358477 boolits and by golly it worked just fine. That said, I probably never pushed them over 1100 fps but it worked.

helice
09-11-2012, 02:00 PM
The inginuity of this group never ceases to amaze me. Please accept my grins of appreciation. Edd Badgly talked me into making a stick lube out of BW and Saber 2cycle synthetic oil. I threw in about half a chinese votive candle and a wrapper from a laughing cow cheese ball just for grins and to stiffen it up a mite. Sure enough - it works just like Edd claimed. Congratulations!

Rex
09-11-2012, 03:06 PM
We do tend to over-complicate things when we get a chance don't we.

fredj338
09-11-2012, 03:10 PM
The inginuity of this group never ceases to amaze me. Please accept my grins of appreciation. Edd Badgly talked me into making a stick lube out of BW and Saber 2cycle synthetic oil. I threw in about half a chinese votive candle and a wrapper from a laughing cow cheese ball just for grins and to stiffen it up a mite. Sure enough - it works just like Edd claimed. Congratulations!

Blammer gave me a basic recipe of 5-1 BW/2 stroke oil. I added a flakes of carnuba to stiffen it, works fine for all my handgun needs; 800-1300fps.

mdi
09-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Yep, from what I've read on the subject, we can over-do a lube recipe real quick. I have a book on casting and there is a small section on lubes (Cast Bullets for Beginners and Experts, Joe Brennan, Jr.). Some lube listed are just Beeswax with something else to soften, ie; Marvel's Mystery Oil, Chrisco, Olive oil, Vaseline, etc. One of my favorites for my handguns is Beeswax softened with 2 cycle motor oil with a few flakes of Carnuba thrown in. My "Speed Green"...

OOPS! Just saw fredj338's post.

Any Cal.
09-11-2012, 04:26 PM
They are smoky when you push them hard, but I have been using toilet wax rings similarly. A couple of those, some atf, and hard wax to stiffen it up if you want. Pretty cheap way of getting a pan full of lube for handgun rds.

Rex
09-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Dang, I love the simple life!!!!!!

fcvan
09-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Toilet ring and olive oil works pretty good too. Mostly, I use that for primer powered wax boolits. I still have to try creamy peanut butter. Read about that on here, it shows promise. Frank

runfiverun
09-11-2012, 11:24 PM
using the synthetic 2 stroke oil over the atf will reduce the smoke to most nothing.
remember it is designed to burn clean and leave behind little ash.
however depending on the 2 strokes designation the atf may work better in the cold.
some 2 strokes are designed for snowmobiles and are rated to 40 below.
adding the carnuba is good for warmer temperatures, it however is modified by the 2 stroke oil as much or more than it [the carnuba] modify's the lube.

Bigslug
09-19-2012, 10:23 PM

The manly scents of black powder and Hoppe's No. 9 are going to be replaced with lavender, sandalwood, and vanilla if you keep going down that road. . .

runfiverun
09-20-2012, 12:03 AM
the coffee/vanilla ones are nice when fired.
stay away from the melon/ berry scented ones however [my wife called one batch *** crack sweat lube] it worked very well though.