PDA

View Full Version : Need a butt pad for a Rossi '92

BoolitSchuuter
09-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Finally got the Rossi I wanted. 24" octagon in 44 Mag. I am happy with it, but 44 magnum kicks more than I thought it would with factory ammo. Anyone have a recommendation for a slip on or lace on pad for this rifle? :coffeecom

jlchucker
09-11-2012, 09:33 AM
What a coincidence. I have the same problem, and just a couple of weeks ago I went to my local gunshop and got a Limbsaver slip-on pad. I tried the smallest one in the store, and it seemed to fit so I bought it. For range shooting, it works OK, and dampens that kick that comes from that curved buttplate. However, It is still small enough to slip off. I live in the north, where hunting requires more clothing that just shirtsleeves, so for the one shot or two that I'll take I'll just put up with the curved buttplate kick. I'll be watching how other guys answer your query though. I think if you are going to put on a pad and leave it on, a lace-on is going to be the way to go. Long before I got my Rossi my favorite plinking rifle was a Winchester Trapper in 44 mag. That was a flat-butt Model 94, and felt recoil off a bench was no problem at all. The same loads out of my much heavier 24 inch Rossi with that curved buttplate though, really woke me up. Good luck.

connecticut-yankee
09-11-2012, 09:40 AM
What's the gun doing up your butt????? Sorry, had to do that!!!!!!

Silvercreek Farmer
09-11-2012, 10:42 AM
HDS took the steel butt plate off and filled the curve with wood filler for later application of a standard butt pad. I like the idea because adds a little length. See below:

Here's my .44 mag rossi, shoots like a dream it does:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8286/7663239232_b1415c6bb1_b.jpg

Silvercreek Farmer
09-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Nice leather pad

http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/accessories/rifle-butt-cover-52

Iron Mike Golf
09-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Anybody ever try a flat butted pad and then fill the butt stock hollow with foam? I am thinking of trying that. Doesn't alter the stock, gives a flat butt, and cheaper than a new stock.

What pad would fit?

northmn
09-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Through the years I have found that permanent fixes usually end up messing things up. I would first try making a fill in for the curve out of hard foam or some other material and use the slip on recoil pad mentioned. Then if the gun of your dreams starts to become a nightmare or if you see something you prefer, you can sell it unaltered. Lesson learned.

DP

Dr. A
09-11-2012, 03:25 PM
I used the Kirkpatrick from above. It fits like a glove... I also added sorbothane gel pad from a Dr. Shoal's foot pad. Two layers helped nicely.! http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/products/MassagingGelExtraSupportInsoles.jspa Cut it up for a perfect contour...

helice
09-11-2012, 06:50 PM
I may be wrong but I believe that "Springfield" here makes a pad like that for the cowboy action crowd. He cuts some nice leather.

Springfield
09-11-2012, 08:13 PM
I can make a leather buttstock cover for that Rossi, either plain or with some padding in it. You can keep the curve or I can make one with the center filled in and square up the end a bit.

BoolitSchuuter
09-12-2012, 07:03 AM
I can make a leather buttstock cover for that Rossi, either plain or with some padding in it. You can keep the curve or I can make one with the center filled in and square up the end a bit.

I do believe you have solved my problem!! sending PM.:bigsmyl2:

357shooter
09-12-2012, 07:15 AM
That's beautiful work!

corvette8n
09-12-2012, 01:27 PM
I bought a leather lace on from Cabelas store in Conn.

saz
09-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Also watch where you place that curved buttplate on your shoulder. They are desigend to be out farther on your arm in the natrural pocket above your armpit, not tucked in like a shotgun. Give it a try.

BoolitSchuuter
09-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Also watch where you place that curved buttplate on your shoulder. They are desigend to be out farther on your arm in the natrural pocket above your armpit, not tucked in like a shotgun. Give it a try.

Yeah, I know. Wanna see the contusion? :bigsmyl2:

45-70 Chevroner
09-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Springfield!!!!! Nice looking accessory. I will be thinking about that one.

Lonegun1894
09-13-2012, 06:12 PM
I may be a dinosaur, but after shooting muzzleloaders for years, I actually LIKE the curved buttplate on my rifles. It did take a little getting used to at first, but I prefer it to straight buttplate on anything that actually kicks a little or a lot. And as strange as this sounds, I have one on a shotgun too, and it works great. However, having seen how many people wanted to try my guns over the years, and then wouldn't listen and placed the buttplate in the shoulder instead of the arm--with the expected results, I am starting to think I may just be one of a few that feel this way about stock design.

Since you want a pad, the leather lace on ones above look good--much better than any slip on I have ever seen--and I wouldn't mind having one either someday, just without the padding.

Lewisgm412
07-24-2014, 12:52 PM
I didn't really like the idea of the leather lace on recoil pads, although they looked first rate. I bought the small Pachmayr slip-on recoil pad and started sanding it down to size for the Rossi 92. I then cut MOST of the skirt off the pad, leaving about 1/2 inch on each side. I removed the steel buttpad and used contact cement to glue the shortened "skirts" to the underside of the steel pad. I used clamps to hold the skirts in place until the contact cement set up. I then punched a hole from the backside of the steel pad through the Pachmayr so I could mark the screw location. Then I put the steel buttpad with the Pachmayr attached back on the rifle. Since the skirts are trapped under the steel buttpad, I think it will hold it in place nicely. See attached picture. It won't win any beauty contests, but maybe now i can use it more often. In .44 Mag, it should make a really nice hog gun!

Newtire
03-31-2017, 10:05 AM
Anybody ever try a flat butted pad and then fill the butt stock hollow with foam? I am thinking of trying that. Doesn't alter the stock, gives a flat butt, and cheaper than a new stock.

What pad would fit?One time I put a piece of a flip-flop on the back of a rifle I had & that did the trick. Just use a little contact cement & then a sharp knife to cut thru when you want to take it off.