PDA

View Full Version : Mag lite repair

SciFiJim
09-10-2012, 11:30 PM
I have a 6 "D" cell mag lite that has been laying in the closet for years. When I took the end cap off, I found that the bottom battery had leaked and corroded in place. When shaking, I can hear the other batteries rattle, so they have not corroded. Once I get the corroded battery out, is it possible to stop the corrosion and save the flashlight?
If so, how?

waksupi
09-10-2012, 11:38 PM
I had a mild case of that a couple weeks ago. Pull off both ends of the light, and get the batteries out. I then used a shotgun cleaning rod with a bristle brush, along with a paste made of baking soda. Took some scrubbing, but got it cleaned out. I let it dry out, and gave it a light coat of oil inside. Works good as new.

boltons75
09-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Sounds like worse case you may need to replace the spring if its really bad, but the baking soda paste should clean out the inside of the body just fine. You can probably get parts from mag if you call them. Good luck, I loved my mags.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

imashooter2
09-10-2012, 11:55 PM
My 4 D cell light did the same many years ago. I used "0" steel wool wrapped around a notched 1/2 dowel chucked in a hand drill to scrub out the corrosion. Make sure the surfaces for the ground path between cap and body have zero corrosion left. 25 or so years down the line it still works fine, but has been replaced in service by an LED model which is superior in every respect.

SciFiJim
09-11-2012, 12:40 AM
has been replaced in service by an LED model which is superior in every respect.

Thinking about converting it to led. Drop in conversions are available. That's what made me pull it out of the closet.

boltons75
09-11-2012, 12:45 AM
I replaced mine with the led conversion. I was able to find it on the clearance rack set sears.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

shotman
09-11-2012, 08:50 AM
save the battery. and send it and light back to company. they will give you check to buy new light . Ever Ready bought 4 for me and the amount of the checks I could have got 8

nanuk
09-11-2012, 11:11 AM
I USED to have a 4D Mag, but my kid had some friends over one night around the firepit......

well... you can imagine the rest...

Moonie
09-11-2012, 03:11 PM
I had 2 4D Mags but they have disappeared over the last 5 years. Wife got a blue one over the weekend. I did have a 6D many years ago, my friends called it my bat lol.

Silvercreek Farmer
09-12-2012, 09:38 AM
I've got a 6D that I wanted to convert to LED. After looking at reviews and prices of the conversions, I came to the conclusion it was better just to buy a new Maglight with the LED already in place.

mold maker
09-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Over the last 20 years, I have bought half a doz Mags. As sure as the need arises I discover them missing. Seems as though my SIL and Son have several each, but their batteries are always dead.
Hmmmmm, I wonder??????

zuke
09-13-2012, 08:51 AM
If you take off the rubber switch cover there's a little allen head set screw that lock's it in place.
Back off that screw and I believe the gut's of the light can be slid out the front of the tube.