PDA

View Full Version : Well the Lee Taper Crimp Die did it.

jh45gun
09-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks to all that suggested it. I got the right one back today from Lee after they put the wrong die in the box. I took the two dummy bullets that would not fit in the gun all the way before crimped them according to the directions and they cycled fine. I ordered today Lee's TL452-230-TC mold so I could have the same bullet weight as factory FMJ or hollow point bulllets instead of the 200 grain I was trying to use before. They probably would work now but I wanted the bullet weight to be the same as the standard 230 grain factory fodder. The two dummy bullets I used the bullet I bought for my 45 colt the 252 grain SWC and they like I said cycled fine. I do not want to use that bullet because it is 20 + grains heavier.

crabo
09-11-2012, 12:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the poi is different for booth projectiles, since resistance is less with cast boolits than jacketed, even though they weigh the same. (or maybe not)

jh45gun
09-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Well could be but I would still suspect it would be closer than bullets lighter or heavier.

bigboredad
09-13-2012, 08:33 PM
just a fyi everyone that I have talked to had the same experience with that Lee tumble lube tc. It usually weighs 240+ and needs to be seated very deep. It shoots good enough but I like the lee 230 rn tumble lube bullet much better

jh45gun
09-14-2012, 01:03 AM
Some one else on an other thread said theirs weighted right in at 229 to 230. Not going to panic too much any mold can throw different weights depending on alloys. I use straight WW air cooled. Any one else have any experience with these bullets?

I do not want RN bullets only for the simple reason if I shoot any game with this I want a flat point.

bigboredad
09-14-2012, 04:09 PM
if they do weigh a bit heavy you could always file the top of the mold to get rid of the bevel base and that will bring your weight down. Better yet if you have a friend that is a machinist he could do it super quick. The bullet style is good and most who use really like it for some reason I never did but it should perform well for your intended purpose

jh45gun
09-16-2012, 01:43 AM
I would not trust filing it in case I did not get it straight. If they are heavy I got a friend that has a mill. Not gonna worry until I get the mold and cast some.