PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Trimmer

wtfooptimax200
09-10-2012, 04:55 PM
I have decided that it's time for a Wilson Trimmer. It seems to be the cat's meow for rifle brass. Do you think the micrometer version is worth the extra cash? It seems unnecessary, but I'm curious about what everyone else thinks.

r1kk1
09-10-2012, 05:00 PM
I use the feature and it's repeatable. I bought mine from Sinclair with the base, etc. the Wilson and the CH4D trimmer is basically the same thing.

Take care

r1kk1

shooter93
09-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Easy to adjust and as said repeatable so I think it's worth it and certainly worth it for serious match ammo.

Char-Gar
09-11-2012, 11:25 AM
I have been using a Wilson (the same one) for over 50 years and see no purpose to the micrometer thingie. I keep a master cartridge case for each caliber in a box and use those to adjust the trimmer. I put the case in the holder, back out the screw, place case and holder in the trimmer and advance the screw until the case mouth contacts the cutter blade. Lock screw and proceed to trim. That is all there is to it.

The way I do things is abolutely repeatable and takes less time than fiddling with a micrometer thingie.

A Wilson trimmer will last a lifetime. If makers don't keep adding gee-gaws and gadgets to them in order to sell stuff, they will soon go out of business. Always remember that new and improved probably means very little, but a way of creating sales. I for one, refuse to be meat for some marketing exec.

wtfooptimax200
09-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks Char-Gar that was the kind of advice that I was looking for, my initial reaction was that the micrometer added nothing over the standard version and you have confirmed that.

wtfooptimax200
09-11-2012, 10:06 PM
How does the Wilson trimmer handle rifle cartridges without a shoulder (e.g. 45-70)?

454PB
09-11-2012, 10:23 PM
The Wilson will handle cases with no shoulder just fine, they make case holders for about any cartridge desired. Most of them fit a "family" of cartridges (the same holder for cases of similar taper and diameter).

Hip's Ax
09-12-2012, 08:54 AM
I have a Wilson and I love it. Its my go to trimmer when I need the lengths all identical for my mid range and long range target rifles. I have seen that they are now available in stainless, I would suggest getting this version as I have a hard time keeping my older one from rusting, and my loading bench is in the living room.

r1kk1
09-12-2012, 08:56 AM
I have one in 45-70 and it works great. If you have a wildcat, they will make you a case body to fit. I have quite a few different bodies and some I can use on the same cartridge family, I.e., 219 zipper, 30-30, 32 win spl, 375 win, etc.

Take care

r1kk1

oneokie
09-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Some things to take into consideration, for straight wall cases, Wilson makes 2 different case holders, 1 is for new cases, the other is for fired cases. My experience is that the holder for new cases is the one to have.

And for holders that Wilson does not have in production, you would need to send 3 sized cases to them for them to make a holder. Or, look at the CH4D site, they stock some holders for cases that Wilson does not. They will work with either trimmer.

I like the Wilson trimmers so much that I have 3, and look for others when at gunshows.