PDA

View Full Version : Lee Hardness Testor -- Ingots?

Jeff82
09-10-2012, 03:24 PM
I was looking at the Lee Hardness Testor and wondering if it can be used for testing the hardness of 1-lb ingots. Seems like if they can be fit into your reloading press, you should be able to measure them. Anybody tried this?

mdi
09-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Yep, as long as they fit. I don't use that small of an ingot mold, so lately I've been using my own "slugs" for testing. I'll pour some alloy into .44 cases. When cool, an impact bullet puller knocks the slug right outta the case. Easy to handle and also works for barrel slugs...

sqlbullet
09-10-2012, 03:56 PM
I have tried it. Couple of small problems I have found.

1. Often the surface of the lead ingot is not as smooth as is ideal. This causes issues reading the diameter of the indent.

2. I had issues getting repeatable numbers from ingots. I attribute this to my technique with such a large sample. YMMV.

In general hardness testing is over-rated. I have found the ultimate test is how is shoots. I measure hardness as I sell lead locally and folks always want to hear numbers.

Jeff82
09-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Helpful answers, both.

I usually use the hammer test to measure hardness -- two light wacks with a hammer. Lately though, this whole issue of hardness has taken on more importance with me. Since I don't have a good source of raw material, I buy lead ingots and alloy that others have smelted. It would be nice to know if the WW I bought has the hardness I'd expect, ditto with pewter, linotype, solder, etc. This doesn't help with alloy proportions. I'd still have to take that on faith.

Right now I use my hammer and guesswork, when I'm blending together a batch of ingots and mixing sources A, B and C. Ditto with testing the finished product.

I always want to quantify things. Don't know why.

John Boy
09-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Seems like if they can be fit into your reloading press, you should be able to measure them. Anybody tried this? Do it all the time. Just got finished additional aging hardness on 4 batches of ingots. Use the Lee 3 Hole Turret press. Just follow the directions on the paper in the box

And as for the hardness values, read this and printout the hardness chart ...

http://www.texas-mac.com/Evaluations_and_Recommendations_for_Lead-Alloy_Hardness_Testers.html

Lunarphase
09-10-2012, 09:32 PM
I've been told be sure you test the area that was in contact with the mold surface and not the top that was open to air.

Mal Paso
09-10-2012, 10:03 PM
I test Ingots with my Lee Tester.

Ingots will usually test a lot softer because they cool a slower than Boolits. I was surprised how much "Air Cooling" hardens a Boolit.

Jeff82
09-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the responses. This is good to know.

jabo52521
09-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Sinse the alloy is already melted cast a bullet and use it to test the hardness

imashooter2
09-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Sinse the alloy is already melted cast a bullet and use it to test the hardness

A crazy plan that just might work...
[smilie=l: