PDA

View Full Version : In praise of 223 Cartridge headspace gages

GT27
09-10-2012, 01:11 PM
I kept having problems with my reloads every now and then getting stuck in the chamber and not letting the bolt lock.I did a little research on here as well as other forums about the known causes.Initial die set up,Oal,case bulge...ect,ect. To some this may be old news but I wanted to post my findings for the newb's and the ones that have been reloading for this caliber.From my understanding this cartridge headspaces on the bottle-neck.I set up my die,sized a cartridge,checked it with the CHG and it showed fine,so I took for granted all was well.I size before trimming,because I feel it gives you more accurate dimensions on your finished product,although some may argue the point! Anyway after loading off to the range I go to test this new CHG and low and behold I still have some stuck cartridges! I come back home scratch my head,and then go through a process of elimination... I check every cartridge with the CHG after sizing and randomly find failures that are not in spec with the gage.I "86" those,and now only use the ones that pass! I have followed this procedure for the last 10 range outtings and have yet to have any stick,or any failures of any kind,over 6,000 rounds!!! A lot of folks will say these gages are good to set your die only,but I don't think that they realize their true importance and function,they positively let you determine that your cartridges are in spec,the decapping die wont do that,and the CHG is the absolute positive way to know,best thing since sliced bread!For those that want to know without guessing, and creating problems,for the $20.00 that they cost their a great investment IMHO for this caliber,I cant speak for the other calibers,haven't had any problems!!GT27

BruceB
09-10-2012, 04:18 PM
For many years now, when I write about loading ammunition for ANY autoloading firearm (rifle or handgun), I religiously recommend checking EVERY SINGLE ROUND in a cartridge headspace gauge.

Compared to the possible problems that may arise, it takes minimal time and effort. It also gives considerable peace of mind. I hope others heed the advice.

sundog
09-10-2012, 05:38 PM
BruceB +1. I shoot a 5.56 AR for NRA High Power and EVERY hand loaded round goes through a Dillon (brand is irrelevant as long as it is a quality tool) cartridge guage. Yes, it takes time.