PDA

View Full Version : A bad week and pain.

44man
09-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I had to cut grass in the dog pen with my old mower. I took it out of the back barn after the wife cut some grass to find it would not steer. The right front wheel went all over. I found the wheel was against the king pin housing. I took it apart to find the king pin was bent. I straightened it and all looked good until I lowered it, it bent again. I took it apart to find the pin had been cracked in half for a long time. I welded it but had to from the wrong side so I found a washer to go on the weld. It is working. I got out the bigger mower for the yard and was going under a branch but had my head ducked only to hit the next one. Knocked my muffs off and mashed my hat into my glasses.
I went up the fence to get a red hot poker in my neck. The old bird house was full of hornets. I sprayed them. I still have a knot.
Then my friend Pete came to shoot archery. I opened the target and we shot a while. I went to pull arrows and was hit twice by yellow jackets and Pete was stung in his belly. I got it in my ear and edge of my hand. My ear was swollen thick all night. I sprayed all kinds of wasp spray in the hole they were going in and out of and set off a bomb in the target.
I went out this morning and some are still coming out of the hole!!!![smilie=f:

WILCO
09-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Thought I had it rough......

felix
09-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Yellow jackets are killed by putting a clear salad bowl over the hole. They die because of exhaustion from trying to get out of the only hole they have. 24-48 hours later the hole will be completely dead and the bowl can be retrieved. ... felix

felix
09-10-2012, 10:44 AM
#9 high velocity shot (on cylinder choke) should be perfect for Hornets. However, most stinging "bee" and "fly" types can be killed easily by liquid hand soap mixed 25-33 percent in water via a pump sprayer. Immediately when they are active, like when flying. Reason: their oxygen supply route is plugged up and they suffocate right now!!! Absolutely no need for special killer chemicals. In fact, they normally don't do nearly as well as soap. ... felix

Silvercreek Farmer
09-10-2012, 10:50 AM
My son was stung on Sat., we didn't see what it was but my wife did extract a stinger. The little beasts always seem to become extra grouchy in late summer. Benadryl seems to help as long as you don't have anything you need to get done!

44man
09-10-2012, 11:31 AM
My son was stung on Sat., we didn't see what it was but my wife did extract a stinger. The little beasts always seem to become extra grouchy in late summer. Benadryl seems to help as long as you don't have anything you need to get done!
Stingers are usually honey bees. I do not think wasps or hornets lose theirs so they can sting more then once.
Nothing helps me. I can put all that junk on my skin to no avail. I can drink all of it too.
Yellow jackets and some wasps never bothered me before. A pinch and it was gone. But a hornet is different. Now am not sure these were true yellow jackets, they seemed smaller. They are no larger then a house fly.

blackthorn
09-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Some days it would be better eo just stay in bed! LOL! Sorry to hear you had a bad day.

wgr
09-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Some days it would be better eo just stay in bed! LOL! Sorry to hear you had a bad day.

But he did get the mower fixed

firefly1957
09-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Good luck with your troubles you did not mention what kind of bomb you used tannerite might work! (just kidding) I was walking though some woods some years ago after picking up fishing lures along a lakes shoreline so I was wearing water shoes a tee shirt and a swim suit . All of a sudden both legs were on fire I thought I walked into nettles until I pushed the weeds back and both legs were covered with yellow jackets! I hit high gear and ran though some more weeds while knocking them off but ended up with many stings 200-300 at the minimum with a 1 1/2 mile walk back to the car! A cold bath at home helped some and my legs never swelled I did take some of the "OLD" Bendryll (the stuff they use for meth now) and was fine in three days. I used a head screen Hat gloves heavy clothes when I returned the hole to the undergound nest was over 2 inches across with heavy traffic in and out I poured over a quart of Gasoline in the hole with 2 ounces of no longer available dianozen (sp) concentrate insecticide it did kill the entire nest . ( no I did not light the gas the fumes displace the air and kill without the heat the insecticide was in case any eggs survived). If it was easier to get to HOT SOAPY WATER would have worked also.

Le Loup Solitaire
09-10-2012, 08:50 PM
An alternate and very effective terminator for ground nested pests is Carbon Tet. If it is poured into the nest or on top of an ant hill it will commit mass murder. Best done at night and quickly. Its nasty stuff for humans as well so handle with caution and don't breathe it. Soap spray and hydrocarbon based lubricants like WD-40 are very effective because they immediately pug up the insects "spiracles" or breathing ports and they suffocate instantly. LLS

Blacksmith
09-10-2012, 11:06 PM
I am currently battling a yellow jacket nest by the Barn. The wife stired them up while weed wacking. With a long handle rake I cleared the weeds away enough to see the hole, and stired them up good. Next day hung a yellow jacket trap nearby to reduce the numbers. A few days later made my first attack with foaming type wasp spray, I couldn't get a good angle to shoot direct into the hole. Another 24 hours and second attack with a better angle. I will check it again tomarrow and if no activity I'll open it up with a shovel. Now if I could just find a spray for the groundhog that reopened an old hole on the other side of the barn, no I can't shoot him without breaking the law and lease. I will trap him but the last one there was a pain because of access issues.

Wayne Smith
09-11-2012, 08:00 AM
Ignore the yellow jackets until night. They all return to the nest then. You can then use Felix's clear bowl technique, they only have one entrance and as long as they can see sky they won't dig another. Cover the hole with a dark bowl and they will immediately dig their way out.

Trap the groundhog.

Wayne

44man
09-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Ignore the yellow jackets until night. They all return to the nest then. You can then use Felix's clear bowl technique, they only have one entrance and as long as they can see sky they won't dig another. Cover the hole with a dark bowl and they will immediately dig their way out.

Trap the groundhog.

Wayne
That will work great.
Would do me no good because the back of the target box is full of holes from arrows, old T111 junk. Any that miss the bag and hit the old excelsior will hit the wood. That is what stirred them up.

Wayne Smith
09-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Yup, I had the same problem with a raised raspberry patch. Right on the edge of the wood. Had to hit them with the spray three times soaking it well after dark when they were all home.

Crash_Corrigan
09-11-2012, 10:51 PM
I was mowing my two acres in Vermont some years ago when I apparently ran the mower over a yellow jacket nest in the ground. They a came out boiling from under the mower. I immediatly let go of the mower and ran for my life towards the house.

My wife was on the porch drinking coffee and she about busted a gut laughing at me.

Then I arrive on the porch with my many new friends and she stopped laughing.

We both retreated into the house and closed the door.

I ended up in the hospital emergency room with over 100 stings. I had been stung many times before but this time my body revolted and I needed a shot to keep from shutting down my lungs.

They can kill ya.

mroliver77
09-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Used to stir them up when plowing ground that had lay fallow a couple years. You cannot run when you are on an old Oliver in third gear!
I was riding my old BSA one day and had a hornet bounce off my lip into a nostril! I was stung repeatedly inside my nose! By the time I got pulled over and parked my teeth were numb and my eyes were very blurry. I had to set for half an hour before I could continue. As a rule stings don't affect me much but in the snot locker it was bad!
Jay

WilliamDahl
09-12-2012, 01:25 AM
I was cutting a limb off a small tree that was beside my pool many years ago and didn't realize that there was a yellow jacket nest just about a foot down the limb from where I was holding the tree. All of a sudden I felt fire in my hand and I looked and saw a couple of yellow jackets humping like crazy on my hand, saying "oh baby, is it good for you too?"... Tons of yellow jackets were buzzing around me... I basically ran 1/4 of the way across the pool before it gravity started working and I sunk! I went to the bottom, swam underwater to the other end of the pool and stayed there for as long as I could hold my breath... Everything was clear when I came up... Went in the garage and got some of the foaming spray that is for killing them and doused their nest pretty good.

sleeper1428
09-12-2012, 02:08 AM
I had an experience back in the late 1950's that left me with a life long dislike/fear of bees in general and yellow jackets in particular. I was driving a log truck in South Central Oregon at that time and I got to the landing for my third load of the day just around 1:00 PM. The loading crew was sitting around eating lunch and after I'd backed up under the jammer and they'd lifted my trailer off they said that if I wanted to I could hook my own load. Heck, that was an invitation to get the best and biggest logs so I said fine and they said that if I stood up on a big stump that was right in front of the log deck I'd have a better view of the logs and I'd be able to set the front hook on any I wanted. I climbed up on that stump and I'd just hooked the first log when I heard the entire crew laughing at the top of their lungs. At about the same time I felt a burning in calf of my right leg and looking down I nearly passed out when I saw that both my legs were covered with yellow jackets!! That old stump was obviously the site of a BIG yellow jacket nest and they didn't take kindly to someone stomping on their home! I tossed that hook away, jumped off the stump and went tearing around the landing slapping yellow jackets and cussing out those bast...ds at the top of my lungs. Man, I think I got at least 50 or more stings that day and I'm still amazed that I didn't have some sort of reaction to all those bites. Anyway, the landing crew got a big kick out of that and I learned not only a valuable lesson about being careful about who you trust but I also developed, as I said earlier, an instant and life long aversion to bees in general and yellow jackets in particular. So I do understand how you must have felt and I'm glad you were lucky enough to avoid any medical complications from the stings.

sleeper1428

maglvr
09-12-2012, 03:36 AM
Carb cleaner ;)

1_Ogre
09-12-2012, 07:14 AM
You ever think about NOT getting out of bed sometimes? LOL been there also, but it's more funny when it happens to someone else.

firefly1957
09-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Nightime does not always hinder a yellow jacket attack I cleared a nest for a elderly friend and waited until night and 48 degrees I thought for sure they would be dormant but was attacked instantly when I shined the spotlight on them ! Oddly enough I do not think I got stung at all but I was bitten though my cotton gloves and they took some meat from my hand with those bites.

softpoint
09-12-2012, 07:03 PM
What we are familiar with as Yellow Jackets don't live in a nest that has a singular entrance hole, but they have nests like any other paper wasp, usually under the eves of a building ,or on a tree branch. They do look just like the Yellow Jacket on the Remington rimfire ammo box, though. They are smaller than Red Wasps, or Tree Wasps, but what they lack in size, they make up for in ATTITUDE. I was stung once by one just yesterday while putting up a deer feeder. I don't even know where it's nest was, but I was obviously too close.!

WilliamDahl
09-14-2012, 05:58 AM
What we are familiar with as Yellow Jackets don't live in a nest that has a singular entrance hole, but they have nests like any other paper wasp, usually under the eves of a building ,or on a tree branch. They do look just like the Yellow Jacket on the Remington rimfire ammo box, though. They are smaller than Red Wasps, or Tree Wasps, but what they lack in size, they make up for in ATTITUDE. I was stung once by one just yesterday while putting up a deer feeder. I don't even know where it's nest was, but I was obviously too close.!

Yep, Texas yellow jackets definitely have an attitude... And they come back for seconds... I'm more than willing to live and let live with respect to them, but if just ONE of them stings me, IT'S TIME FOR GENOCIDE!

MT Gianni
09-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Western Yellow jackets do not have a stinger to break off on their tail but can bite many times. Mean little beggars also.

Wayne Smith
09-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Nightime does not always hinder a yellow jacket attack I cleared a nest for a elderly friend and waited until night and 48 degrees I thought for sure they would be dormant but was attacked instantly when I shined the spotlight on them ! Oddly enough I do not think I got stung at all but I was bitten though my cotton gloves and they took some meat from my hand with those bites.

Yup, don't shine a light on them and that won't happen. I choose a moonlight night.