PDA

View Full Version : opinions on "new to me "mold.

adrians
09-10-2012, 12:14 AM
hi , i have had this mould for a short time and haven't actually shot any yet but was curious as to what y'all think it was designed for ?.

It measures .323 at the base and then gradually narrows to .320, now is this boolit a tumble lube design or do you think pan lubing would be in order ?

I have a few 8mm rifles so sizing down wouldn't be needed but i may need to size down a tad for a couple of "j' bores i have.

It weighs in at 202 naked.

any thoughts ?.

runfiverun
09-10-2012, 12:30 AM
gonna guess with the markings on the mold it's for breach seating in a 32 cal rifle.
maybe a 32-40,32 miller or sumthin like that.
it's probably specced for a 10-12 twist bbl also, with the length marked on the mold.

adrians
09-10-2012, 01:04 AM
Ah, that makes sense , i noticed that it's been indexed.

Now will it do OK shot the "usual" way i wonder [smilie=1: .

thx RFR

runfiverun
09-10-2012, 12:34 PM
it should do okay several loverign "type" boolits are tapered like that.
and even some j word bench rest bullets have a base thats full diameter and are tapered like that.
the base sealing the gasses is the ticket.
sizing for a 318 bore shouldn't be much of a problem [make a dummy cartridge] before i sized them.
filling the throat is the ticket anyway.
i'd lube them before sizing to keep the grooves integrity intact to give any displaced lead a place to go.

adrians
09-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the replys felllas,
i got to looking and the mould has Clerke stamped on it and i thought it might have been the makers mark but it,s the name of the guy who designed it , Bo Clerke ?.
Another shooter (on another cast boolit site :coffee:) gave me some info but not much is written about him,
Are any of you familier with this fella and / or his work.

Just curious :popcorn:

runfiverun
09-11-2012, 10:18 AM
i have a feeeling i know the name but information is escaping me right now.
there is a generation of scheutzen shooters that made some big developments back around ww-11 in boolit designs and in lube mixing. [and thier sport in general]
in fact darr lube and charlie dells lube are similar off shoots to one made up by a guy named sharpe. [not phil]
i recall elmer kieth mentioning several of them one time.