PDA

View Full Version : Clean steel molds, brass wool OK?

kcinnick
09-09-2012, 08:07 PM
I picked up some used Magma steel molds, and I want to clean them up, is it OK to scrub the face and bullet cavity with brass wool? I would imagine it would be alright, but I need something more than a cloth to clean them up. Plan is denatured alcohol, brass wool, then some magma lube coating on them.

Thanks

Mal Paso
09-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Yes. Brass cartridges can be used for scrapers. Brazing rod can be sharpened for picks.

Balkandom
09-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Just a thought, how would brake cleaner work?

Wayne Smith
09-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Let us know what needs to be cleaned out. There may be better ways.

Texasflyboy
09-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Here is my opinion.

How to properly clean a bullet mould (http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/cleaning.htm)

John Boy
09-10-2012, 10:13 AM
is it OK to scrub the face and bullet cavity with brass wool?
What I use to clean rusted steel molds:
* Brass wool
* Q Tips
* 50:50 mix of acetone & ATF
* Eezox
* Sharp pointed dental pick or a razor blade to clean & open vent lines
Disassemble the mold - coat with 50:50 mix and let sit for about an hour. Flat surfaces, rub with wool. Cavities, rub with Q Tips. Dental pick or razor blade for vent lines

Rub all the mold parts with Eezox - wipe clean - put in box

Wally
09-10-2012, 10:20 AM
I put away a Lyman 405 RNF .45 Cal that I had oiled. The blasted thing had a light rust on it when I opened the box some years later---but no pits...thank God. I made a plug out of 0000 steel wool and spun it with a drill on the closed mold cavity---it cleaned up beautifully...and casts just fine. 0000 steel wool will not enlarge a mold. Every winter I open every mold to ckeck and re-oil.

Mal Paso
09-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Just a thought, how would brake cleaner work?

Some brake cleaner can be deadly if heated and inhaled. Chemtool is a better zero residue cleaner.

Heated molds clean easier. Synthetic 2-cycle Oil or Beeswax helps lift the lead. Kroil might be good on a cold mold.