PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in a lyman

wonderwolf
05-21-2007, 12:59 PM
I have only been casting for about 3 years now. And I got a spankin new mold from my dad not to long ago as a nice little surprise. (Some spoiled college kids get new cars, computers....I get boolit molds :-D )

It was a new 4 cavity 225gr RN mold for my 45acp guns (1911 and 625)

I cleaned it up and went to work. Before casting I simply took a pencil and gave it a good coating on the inside to release the bullets but I noticed that one cavity was not wanting to let them go. And the spur plate was not cutting them as easily as it should be... So I made some observations and went to work SLOWLY with a fine Dremel tool. I opened up the holes in the top plate just a little more and nocked the burs off of the bottom. I was also having truble with the mold halves going together all the way ( A problem I have never had with any of my other 4 cav lyman molds) I noticed that there was a slight bur in one of the guide pin holes...that got cleaned up as well.

Since then I have not had any problems with this particular mold. I have cast about 2,000 CB's out of it for testing. Have shot about half of them and I'm very happy with the results. I have about 5 or so other 4 cav Lyman molds mostly 44 magnum keith style and 38 wad cutters. They are all great but the 38 molds are very loose.:Fire:

monadnock#5
05-22-2007, 05:12 PM
I have a Lyman 429421 .44cal, 245 grn. nominal, two cavity mold that I was using over the weekend. I also had a problem with one cavity that was very reluctant to release. So I did a .357 maximum on it. I played the flame of a mapp gas torch over the cavities. I didn't see any red hot particles shoot off, but both boolits dropped out much easier thereafter.

Ken