PDA

View Full Version : Any "problems" with original Lee Auto Prime?

km101
09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
I have used an original style Lee Auto Prime for over 30 years and untold 1,000's of rounds. I recently called Lee to purchase a replacement for a part that I had lost. The woman that I talked to said that they no longer stocked repair parts for that model, as they had not made it in several years. I asked why they discontinued it, as I thought it was a good workable hand priming tool. She said that the new models "have improved ergomonics, and eliminated probvlems with certain brands of primers."

I have not had any problems with any brand of primers in my units, and I have used about every brand there is. Has anyone else had any primer detonation or similar problems with the Auto Prime? I did not know this was ever a problem.

Finster101
09-09-2012, 05:23 PM
The biggest problem with the Auto Prime was that it worked too well. They had to redesign it to make more money.

Kraschenbirn
09-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Got the same tale from Lee when I wore out my last round Auto-Prime...no parts available and a spiel about how much the new model has been 'improved'. Bought an 'Auto-Prime XR and found it far inferior to the original...gotta hold it at just the right angle to get the primers to feed down that stupid 'single-file' guide slot, still doesn't accept a full pack of 100 WW LRPs without some jiggling, and how 'bout them 'upside down primers'? E-mailed Lee about the problems and was greeted with an offer to SELL me an 'upgrade kit' that was supposed to correct the problem with primers flipped by that silly two-stage feed but did nothing to fix anything else.

Gritted my teeth and used it for a couple months...until I got lucky and found two 'old-style' - one used and one new - at a gunshow. Dunno what I'll do when I wear these out but until then that 'improved' Auto-Prime XR is gonna do nuthin' but gather dust on my 'spares' shelf.

Bill

Freightman
09-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Sounds like the Government if it works fix it.

km101
09-09-2012, 06:47 PM
I wasn't really liiking to start an "old versus new" thread, but I guess it's gonna happen. :)

What I was reall looking for is anyone with Jam problems or primer detonation problems. Lee sounded like this was the primary reason for the new designs, and I had never heard of it being a problem. I figured if it really was a problem, someone here would know about it!

And I fully agree, I will pick up several spares of the original style, and hope that I wear out before they do!

jmort
09-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Have two "old" ones, and they seem to keep going, over ten years, if you just keep grease on the wear points.l

Finster101
09-09-2012, 08:30 PM
What I was reall looking for is anyone with Jam problems or primer detonation problems. Lee sounded like this was the primary reason for the new designs, and I had never heard of it being a problem. I figured if it really was a problem, someone here would know about it!

That is the whole point. I never had a problem. So far nobody that has put up a post has mentioned a problem......which leads me back to my post #2

09-09-2012, 08:44 PM
What I was reall looking for is anyone with Jam problems or primer detonation problems.

In that case, mine have always been problem-free. I deleted my previous post.

keyhole
09-09-2012, 09:42 PM
I have an "original" style bought probably in the late 70's, best as I can remember. The body pot metal casting split where it retains the shellholder about 10 years ago. I was able to order 2 replacement bodies from Lee , so hopefully am OK for the future.
Probably about 10 years ago I was using some CCI primers which were about 15-20 years old. I had a couple detonate when seating. That is a good way to get your ears ringing. I stopped using this old lot. No problems since with detonating when seating. I have used Federal, Win, CCI (newer lots), Rem, Tula, and Wolf with no issues. Never had any jamming with any brand. It is a wonderful tool, in my opinion.

engineer401
09-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Never a problem with the old style auto prime. I used it for about 15 years. I stopped using it when I went to a Dillon 550. Otherwise it would still be on my bench.

Kraschenbirn
09-09-2012, 10:32 PM

Over 30-some years, I (literally) wore out two of the original Auto-Primes with only one unexpected LOUD NOISE in all that time and it occured when I tried to seat one of those 'soft' Federal 210s into a milsurp '06 case that hadn't been 'decrimped'. One 'oops' in, maybe, 50-60,000 rounds...and it was due to my own inattention.

Bill

zuke
09-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Never had a primer go off, and I grease the contact point's for longevity.

Moonie
09-10-2012, 02:47 PM
I've had all 3 of the type do not take the screw in shell holders, I like them all, not had any problems with any of them. I do like the latest one the best as the handle is on the other side and my thumb doesn't get sore.

FergusonTO35
09-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Does the XR take the same shell holders as the previous one? My Auto Prime works well enough although the primers don't turn themselves up like they're supposed to, also the plastic top cover doesn't keep them from stacking.

btroj
09-11-2012, 06:09 PM
My problem is the 2 broken levers I have for mine. I miss it dearly.

The new XR isn't bad, I just miss the old one.

Romeo 33 Delta
09-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Yep ... uses the same shell holders and I actually like the XR better than the round unit I started with. Yes, there's a learning curve, but I can now run 50 cases through in about 7 minutes. More than good enough for me.

meterman
09-12-2012, 10:27 AM
I had one for a long time, but it would jam now and then, especially with GI LC 69 brass. Lots of that junk had off-center crimps, and so the primer would not seat fully. So there I would be, with a half-seated primer and a brass that I could not remove because the primer was sticking out too far. Finally just ordered out a new Hornady hand seater, and with that thing I felt like I was on Candid Camera. Gave both of them away and went back to the priming post. Best thing I ever did.

209jones
09-23-2012, 09:48 AM
If you are in the position of having no linkages available to you for the old hand prime take a look at the 21st century tool. You reuse the trays and springs, and have a new tool that works really nicely, and will last. I had pcs of 3 Lee tools laying around, decided to try this, and it is a great unit.

http://www.21stcenturyshooting.com/Priming_Tool.php

geargnasher
09-23-2012, 03:06 PM
No problems here, been using one for 20 years with all sorts of primers. Lube it, clean your primer pockets, and don't be ham-handed.

I think Lee's lawyers redesigned the unit because too many apes have injured themselves.

Gear

Pitchnit
09-23-2012, 08:04 PM
You can use the old primer trays on the new XR by using the old style connecting rod with the XR body and lever. It canges the lever position slightly. Try it you might like it. Regards-Pitchnit

GBertolet
09-24-2012, 07:41 AM
Mine kept splitting the casting around the shellholder. Lee replaced the body several times. The new ones are beefier in that area.

MtGun44
09-24-2012, 05:07 PM
same failure, the rim of the part of the main body that holds the shellholder would
crack after about a bazillion rounds.

Also the small primers are just about square and can flip over fairly easy.

Bill

Mohavedog
10-01-2012, 05:50 PM
same failure, the rim of the part of the main body that holds the shellholder would
crack after about a bazillion rounds.

Also the small primers are just about square and can flip over fairly easy.

Bill

After many thousands of rnds my original Lee developed the problem of the small primers constantly flipping over. I found that the plastic tray cover wasn't being held down tight enough to the tray allowing it to lift up. I either pinch it together with my offhand thumb and forefinger, or use one of those small spring steel food bag clips to hold it down. My other issue with the old round model is that the size of the modern primer containers are too large to dump a whole box into the tray. I can only do a half box at a time. Mohavedog

1hole
10-01-2012, 06:00 PM
"Any "problems" with original Lee Auto Prime?"

Not yet but I've only had my two since 1988. I got two because the 'word' was the handle was easy to break and since they were so inexpensive I just wanted one for a back up. Set one for small and one for large, both are still going strong. But I do lube the wear points annually, if they need it or not. :)

EDG
10-01-2012, 06:07 PM
I have two of the original auto primes. I never had any detonations. They do have a problem with tipped and upside down primers due to the stupid design of the feed slot. I found that you had use care with any military brass that had the crimp removed. It was necessary to wiggle the case around while pressing in the primer to make sure that the primer started straight. If you did not look at what you were doing you could have a primer tip on its side when you tried to prime a case. I guess it worked ok for pistol rounds at high volume. For lower volume loading it was not worth the trouble. One of my original Auto primes I bought as a broken tool. The top had fractured around the lip holding the sheel holders. Lee replaced it with a part that was beefed up.

I quit using it and returned to the original hand priming tool by Lee. This is the type with the screw in shell holder. I have worn one out and was able to trade it for a shell holder that I did not have. I still have 4 or 5 more.
I also have one of the expensive K&M Services priming tools. I don't like it much either. It tends to let the shell holders wedge up out of alignment.