PDA

View Full Version : Need help with possible model 71 damage

ammohead
09-09-2012, 04:17 PM
It hurts me to type this. I double charged my model 71 with 55 gr of xmr 5744 behind a lyman 350457. The velocity was 2761 fps and the action was locked up with small traces of smoke coming out of the breech area. I opened the action using a lead ingot and hammer on the locking lugs and there is no real visible damage. However after firing with low pressure loads the brass is visibly out of round.

How do I determine if the receiver is damaged beyond repair? I have a barrel vise and have barreled mausers before, so removing the barrel from the action should not be beyond my ability to perform. I assume that I would be looking for out of roundness in the receiver portion of the bbl thread.

Any help you could give is appreciated. John Taylor has offered to perform this work for me at a very affordable price. But I am hearing horror stories of shipping disasters and was wondering if I can determine if it is salvagable.

hickstick_10
09-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Send it to John Taylor

I'll Make Mine
09-09-2012, 08:02 PM
If low pressure brass is going out of round, the rifle may require more than a rebarrel (if the receiver is damaged, it's probably beyond salvage, and it may require a Magnaflux or x-ray to be sure). Ship insured, request insurance on the shipment back. No way to force UPS to actually get the signature the shipper requires, unfortunately (if you push 'em enough, they'll admit this is always up to driver discretion), so it may be worth the fee to have it shipped to a local gun shop where there'll be someone present to accept it.

pietro
09-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Why I only use USPS Priority Mail, Insured - It's signed for by every hand that touches the parcel.

scb
09-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Chances are if the chamber is bulged out of round you won't be able to remove the barrel by normal means.

MBTcustom
09-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Send it to John Taylor, and insure the package for enough money to buy yourself a new rifle.
The big problem with shipping guns is that folks take the cheapest rout they can and get what they pay for. Don't skimp on the packaging, and insure the heck out of it and you will be fine. A good portion of my business comes to me in the mail. I always pack well and I always insure and so far I have not had a problem (Fingers and toes crossed).
You need someone qualified to x-ray that action before you fire another shot through it.
Also, you are fortunate to have John Taylor make that offer. The gun is unshootable and unsafe as it is, so what do you have to lose?
Seriously, I'm very sorry to hear about your rifle. That really hurts when you make a mistake like that. I've been there myself.

John Taylor
09-10-2012, 11:28 PM
I quit using USPS for shipping anything of value. They lost a rifle and refused to pay for it even tho I had insurance on it. They delivered the box that had been broken in half and there was only a few parts in the box and taped back together. They told me I had to prove the rifle was in the box. The carrier was ask to wait while the package was checked for contents and she said she didn't have time for that. I'm out about $3500 so I don't use them now. I have had trouble with all shippers but the other two will pay off on claims.

opos
09-11-2012, 07:48 PM
I have another hobby (restoring antique gasoline engines .... the big flywheel types) and recently I sent a set of 4 antique wheels for an engine cart...by USPS....to Iowa....they were packed 2 per box....really well...double packed....fully insured with all the mumbo jumbo from USPS....2 arrived and 2 did not....they found part of the box somewhere and everything else from the box was gone....refused to pay citing that there was no proof that anything was in the box to begin with...I got statements, picturs of the packages (my little insurance that did no good) , etc....a set of 4 never replacable antique wheels with a value of about 800 was reduced to 2 wheels that now have no mates and no payment....I will never again ship via USPS if there is any alternative.

Trailblazer
09-16-2012, 11:48 AM
If you haven't shipped yet, I would remove the butt stock first. It makes a shorter package and will keep the stock from getting broken.

I am sorry to hear about the problems with the USPS. I have been using them for everything I ship.

MT Chambers
09-20-2012, 12:46 AM
When you get it fixed, drop back to 54 grains of powder.

John Taylor
09-20-2012, 05:44 PM
If you haven't shipped yet, I would remove the butt stock first. It makes a shorter package and will keep the stock from getting broken.

I am sorry to hear about the problems with the USPS. I have been using them for everything I ship.

good idea. I don't need the stock for repairs. I was just informed that UPS broke a high dollar stock on a customers rifle. I will be filing a claim as soon as I get it back.