PDA

View Full Version : Mauser base mount issues

Pirate69
09-09-2012, 03:15 PM
I picked-up a nice Mauser Model 98 VZ-24 action that has been drilled and tipped. I am told that it was an action that was intended to be a Kimber Rifle and was drilled for Warne base mounts. The front base mount holes are the same as a standard Weaver mount (0.860"). The rear holes are approximately 0.445" while the standard Weaver Mauser mount is .500". Warne has a mount set that has a 0.440" rear mount spacing and the 0.860" front spacing. But it is for a Mauser Small Ring 96 Unaltered Action. Obliviously, mine in a Large Ring Action (unaltered). Will the small ring mounts fit the large ring action? Will Warne base mounts accept Weaver type rings? I am trying to control price at this point. I can modify the Weaver rear base to make it work; but am not sure I will be satisfied with it down the road. Any suggestions or answers to the two questions will be greatly appreciated.

Ben
09-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Makes you wonder if the jig that was used was .005" off for the drilling of the rear base holes ? ?

pietro
09-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Save yourself a lot of agita, and get a gunsmith scope base blank from Brownell's. (About $13, IIRC)

You can then drill it to match the hole spacing of your receiver.

Pirate69
09-09-2012, 09:01 PM
pietro,
That is a great idea that I did not know existed. You da Man!!

Mk42gunner
09-09-2012, 09:29 PM
I don't know about the Warne's; but Leupold makes a one piece STD base for both the 95 and 98 Mausers. Its part number is 49990. It is a three hole base, two in the front ring, one in the rear.

I have used several of these on various Mausers. I think they also used to make two piece bases, but the rear base had a very small spacing; .375" comes to mind (I only used one set of those so don't quote me).

Robert