PDA

View Full Version : Fair price

45fan
09-09-2012, 01:06 PM
I have an opportunity to get my hands on some dental film lead backing. What is a fair price for this type lead?

grubbylabs
09-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Not sure but it sure takes a whole lot to amount to much.

williamwaco
09-09-2012, 08:46 PM
I am not familiar with it but if it is clean and not contaminated with a lot of paper or glue or plastic or other ( non lead ) backing stuff, I would consider anything less than a dollar a pound a good price.

fecmech
09-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Yes, I think they weigh either 7 or 10 grs each. It's nice material to cast with. Someone on the board posted the exact composition but suffice to say there is a little bit of tin and maybe 2% antimony. The ones that I got from my dentist have a bhn of 9. I would rather have clip on WW's so I'd pay the same or less than WW metal.

evan price
09-10-2012, 03:36 AM
I melted a bunch of them and they had antimony in them for sure. 35 pounds from my dentist, he's been saving them for years. The ingots ring like antimonial lead when dropped on a concrete step.

randyrat
09-10-2012, 08:01 AM
I believe some one has a MSDS sheet that will give you the break down here on this site, check the archives

I've used a bunch of these and they make perfect boolits with no additional Tin needed. You can always harden them with some WWs alloy and water drop if needed. There is very little scrap in them so I would be happy to pay $.45-.50 / lb.

The Dentist won't get that price from any scrap dealer

sqlbullet
09-10-2012, 09:52 AM

It is good lead, but this statement is spot on. I got about half a 5 gallon bucket once and i think it made less than 20 lbs of ingots.

grubbylabs
09-10-2012, 10:51 AM
As many of you have posted they melt and cast just fine, but it is kinda underwhelming how little you get from them. I for sure would make sure that if you are paying by the pound that you make sure all the paper and what not is either gone or accounted for.

On the positive side it is cleaner that WWs.