PDA

View Full Version : Let me give you boys a little tip!

MBTcustom
09-09-2012, 11:40 AM
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l481/goodsteel/IMG_3547.jpg
Ahem, yeah, that didn't work out so well!
I was in a hurry to get the lube in the pan so that they would be ready when I got back from church this morning.
I aint in a hurry no more.

Digger
09-09-2012, 12:51 PM
OOP's !!!!! ...[smilie=b:

RobS
09-09-2012, 12:58 PM
That's got to suck!!! When I first started making my own homemade lube I used a glass beaker so I could measure while mixing and upon trying to melt down Ivory soap stands in my lube mixture the beaker blew up on the stove. Flames darn near as high as the ceiling and about 45 minutes until the wifey was to come home, I had one heck of a mess along with glass shards to add to the cleaning frenzy.

Hamish
09-09-2012, 01:30 PM
TAH-DUH!! And now for my next trick,,,,,,

(MMmmm, You only one ever do that, Kemosabe)

greywuuf
09-09-2012, 01:31 PM
I bet you only do it once :rolleyes:

homeland defense begins at home.

WILCO
09-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Don't sweat it Dude. Live and learn.

Char-Gar
09-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Well, there was the time about 1966 when I decided to use a cheap thin aluminum sause pan to melt lead for casting on the wife's gas stove. Won't do that again either.

I had melted lead run throughout the burner of the stove. I let it cool and used tin snips to cut it out. No damaged done, but had a highly irritated wife.

Hamish
09-09-2012, 02:40 PM
"but had a highly irritated wife."

I suspect this is an understatement of the situation. DAMHIKT.

MBTcustom
09-09-2012, 03:05 PM
See, I had melted the lube in the microwave and I was just trying to keep it warm until I was done lining up the boolits in the rubber pan. I got about halfway done and noticed my tub was leaning a little and looking quite transparent on the bottom. I figured I could lift it real gentile like and get it off the burner before it spilled. Sounds reasonable right?
Well, I lifted it up and the rest is history.
The first thing that went through my mind was a quick replay of the events leading up to this climactic point of the day. Realizing how expertly I had dangled myself by rotting dentile floss over the yawning abyss of catastrophy, and then got hiccoughs, my next thought was that the only possible silver lining to this 6 foot pile of poo is if you guys could get a good laugh out of it. So, quick as a flash, I grabbed the 'ol camera and took a picture.
I swear, I took the picture about 15 seconds after the big "Oh #$%^".
I did get it up though, remelted it and all is well.
If any of you are as sharp as I am and find yourselves wondering how to get this sticky stuff off your work bench, let me enlighten you.
Take your propane torch and melt the residue on the bench, before it solidifies, wipe it up with paper towels.
If you have had a day like mine leading up to this point, you might want to keep a fire watch for 30 minutes to make sure you didn't set fire to the work bench with your torch. (I keep a fire extinguisher handy in the shop for just that sort of inconvenient combustion.)

geargnasher
09-09-2012, 11:19 PM
I don't see the problem. I've waterproofed several of my workbenches. Nothing like that beeswax and natural oil to add sheen and protection to wood. :wink:

Gear

runfiverun
09-10-2012, 12:43 AM
i'm pretty sure the flux goes in top of the pot not on the bottom.

bet you didn't know that if you mixed concentrated bleach and concentrated vinegar you can make a 5 gallon bucket into a 7.5 gallon bucket... did ya?
don't do that either,the blue foam is pretty cool though.

waksupi
09-10-2012, 01:14 AM
Lordy, Lamar, we have some young brain dead types hanging out here. Don't be giving them any ideas!

wgr
09-10-2012, 01:27 AM
i think the yellow stuff should be in the blue pan. been there too sorry

0verkill
09-10-2012, 06:12 AM
Could have just rolled the bullets around in the lube to sop it up, killed 2 birds with one stone :)

Runfiverun's comment also reminded me not to try to put gasoline in a styrofoam cup.

MBTcustom
09-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Runfiverun's comment also reminded me not to try to put gasoline in a styrofoam cup.
Indeed. However several hundred styrofoam cups being poured into a couple gallons of gasoline.......:twisted:

0verkill
09-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Had a friend burn a peace sign in his yard to try that out cause he didn't believe me. Said he just couldn't put it out.

mdi
09-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Once (and only once) I tried using a teflon cupcake mold as an ingot mold. I got 2.5 pounds of molten lead on my bench...

"Got the Cheeze-whiz boy?"

WILCO
09-10-2012, 12:42 PM

I've put gas in a plastic milk jug. Same results.....

wallenba
09-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Tim, is the handle on your pot metal? Nice solution to the 'floating' metering rod.

Maybe one of those coffee cup warmers would be better.

H.Callahan
09-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Tim, is the handle on your pot metal? Nice solution to the 'floating' metering rod.
I just got a new one that has a metal handle. Lee must be shipping those now.

MBTcustom
09-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah, that's OME as it was shipped from Lee. I was ready to make a new, heavier handle, but so far no problems.

geargnasher
09-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Indeed. However several hundred styrofoam cups being poured into a couple gallons of gasoline.......:twisted:

Geez, next thing you know you'll have to have an FFL to buy styro cups....:popcorn:

Gear

Alan in Vermont
09-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Tim, ths old fart is disappointed with you. I would have bet money that you were smart enough to NOT put a plastic measuring cup on a hot plate.

MBTcustom
09-10-2012, 10:06 PM
I'll bet that the great Chicago fire was started by a really smart guy who was in a hurry! I didn't think that coffee pot base got that hot! Oh well, at least I'm man enough to have a laugh at my own expense.

grrifles
09-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Another good way to remove wax is paper towels and a iron. Lay folded up paper towel down the put iron on it. As th wax melts in soaks in to paper towel.

Chris

Tom Ruley
09-11-2012, 09:32 AM
That is an old coffee maker you are using for a hot plate, Any special modifications other than removing the top and back?

D Crockett
09-11-2012, 09:33 AM
when me and my wife got married she told me I could use her cooking stuff for cooking food only if I wanted to play with wax and other stuff I had to get my own cooking stuff. in my work shop I have a microwave all the pots pans glass ware knives forks spoons and any other thing I will need to use to make my lube with. have I made a mess in the shop doing less than smart things you bet I have . did I learn you bet I have . will I do stupid thing like I have before .I pray I do not but only time will tell.well the moral of this hole learning experenceis get you own stuff to use and leave the wifes sruff alone and you will have much more peace in the faimaly than if you don't D Crockett

dave roelle
09-11-2012, 10:14 AM
I use a small "rice cooker"-----------works like a charm-------------doesn't burn the lube and turns itself off------------temp is about 190/200 f

Dave

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Way Cool Tim

That is really classic :bigsmyl2: Reminds me of when -------------- Seemed like a good idea at the time!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Recluse
09-11-2012, 09:25 PM
I don't see the problem. I've waterproofed several of my workbenches. Nothing like that beeswax and natural oil to add sheen and protection to wood. :wink:

Gear

Agree with my fellow Texican here. . .

I've long contended that when it comes to lube, if you DON'T make a gawdawful mess, then the lube ain't worth using and the boolits won't shoot straight, will lead your barrel and probably always fly off to the left.

:coffee: