PDA

View Full Version : Remington 7.62X39 ammunition questions

Multigunner
09-09-2012, 10:50 AM
I was recently given a Romac AK74 clone.
I'd fired this rifle years ago and found it unusually accurate for the type. Though like many of this make the front sight base is canted to the right so the post must be pushed as far to the left as it will go.

Along with the rifle I received some ammunition, leftovers from boxes of several brands, mostly Wolf.
There were a dozen rounds of Remington commercial 7.62X39 FMJ in the mix.

The reason I'm asking about any experiences with the Remington ammo is that amoung those rounds was one with a loosened neck that allowed the bullet to rotate and move back and forth by a hair, and one with the bullet pushed far back into the case. The one with bullet pushed into the case has me worried.

If this ammo does not have a sturdy enough neck and crimp to withstand the rather violent chambering of this type of autoloader a bullet jammed back into the powder space could cause a case blow out from excessive pressure.

If I use the Remington cases for cast boolit loads I may single load them to be on the safe side, and use only milspec 7.62 when loading from a magazine.

So basically my questions are.

1. Do you consider Remington 7.62X39 suitable for autoloaders?
2. Have you had any problems with bullets being jammed back into the case?
3. Any recommendations on brands of boxer primed 7.62X39 ammo that is also milspec?

Also any recommendations for powder types suited to medium power loads using a 180-185 gr Lyman Cast Boolit?
Also if possible I'd like to build a hunting load using the same Hornady .312 150 grain soft point bullets that I use for my .303.
If IMR 4895 or IMR 4320 can be used with these loads let me know, I have plenty of those powders available.

Bloodman14
09-09-2012, 12:34 PM
I use Remington and Winchester cases with Lee 155 gr. cast in my SKS with no problems at all. I use H322 as well. I don't know about IMR powders (I don't use it), so I can't answer that. Most factory 7.62 Rooskie Shortskie stuff is close to milspec. Loose bullets in the neck would most likely result in a slight decrease in pressure, while bullets pushed back can be pulled up enough to reach the case mouth and re-crimped.

Gtek
09-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Do you know what that had been through? Dropped, pushed, played in magazine and jambed in breech. Brand new out of box-whoa- lets talk about it. I would have to push bore for proper size. US made ammo is usually .308", COM-BLOC / TOWEL HEAD barrels can run .309" to .314" and then some. The COM stuff usually runs .311". Thousands of Rem .223 through black guns, I do not think the Rem x39 would be any different. Gtek