PDA

View Full Version : Shipping ammo?

historicfirearms
09-09-2012, 08:59 AM
I have a full ammo can of Lake City 7.62 m80 ammo that I am thinking about selling. Does anyone know if it is legal to ship ammo in an ammo can? I'd like to just be able to tape the can shut ans stick a label on it, but I'm not sure of the packaging requirements.

Trey45
09-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Earlier this year I tried to find a method of shipping ammo I had sold to a member here, no one was willing to ship it unless I was a hazmat shipper or an ammo dealer. I prefer to stay on the legal side of the street so I had to back out of the sales deal. I really hated doing that.

historicfirearms
09-09-2012, 09:24 AM
I have shipped ammo before UPS ground. I just had to write an ORM-D label on the box and self certify on the hazmat training. I'm just not sure of the packaging requirements if it is going in an ammo can.

Blammer
09-09-2012, 09:35 AM
I would NOT use JUST the spam can as the shipping container, just find a cardboard box and tape it well to the ammo can, should work well.

I would use UPS mark it ORM-D, but you'll have to take it to a hub, the little (pack and ships) normally don't accept such things.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-09-2012, 09:48 AM
First let me say...I have received ammo shipments via UPS with all sorts of "unconventional" packaging, including a box the size of a med flat rate box that was 3/4 full of loose mil surp ammo, no other packing material and several bullets became loose and powder was loose in the bottom of the box and leaking out a torn corner.

With all that said, I recall looking into the UPS regs and I am thinking they accept commerial ammo in it's original packaging only. So if you vary from that, and there is a problem, your shippment may not get delivered, although from my experience (that I mentioned) they probably will.
Jon

PS. I have shipped mil surp ammo via UPS in the spam can. And I did find a proper fitting cardboard box to put it in and clearly marked it as required.

oneokie
09-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Will add my little bit of knowledge. When completing the shipping ticket, "small arms ammunition" needs to be added. If shipping in the ammo can, you will be charged an additonal fee for non conforming package. By placing in a cardboard box you avoid that fee.

Wayne Smith
09-09-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm no expert, but if it's Lake City m80 isn't the ammo can the original packaging?