PDA

View Full Version : "Michigan pistol"

historicfirearms
09-09-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this question. The michigan legislature has recently passed new laws that will bring their definition of a pistol more in line with federal regulations. It used to be (and still is until the end of this year) that Michigan considered a long gun with a folding stock falling between 26 and 30 inches folded to be a pistol and registered as such with the state. After the first of the year they will be considered as long guns. Michigan still won't be in perfect alignment with the Feds because if a firearm is under 26 inches folded it will still be considered a SBR and illegal. Michigan is also doing away with their stupid pistol purchase permit and registration for pistols.

Good news, right? For the most part I think so. Here is my delima, and I expect one of the real reasons they are changing the law. Currently, if you have a CCW you are allowed to concealed carry one of those "Michigan pistols", a folding stock gun between 26 and 30 inches. Now, nobody is going to stuff an underfolder AK into their waistband and concealed carry. What you can currently do is have your AK folder in your vehicle, loaded and uncased.

I have a MAK 90 that I am going to put a folding stock on. What would you all do, put the folder on now and register as a pistol so you could "concealed carry" or wait until after January 1 and not have to register it with the state?

Trey45
09-09-2012, 09:08 AM
If it's going to be an SBR after Jan. 1, wouldn't you need to pay the $200 tax stamp and have it registered as an SBR?

SharpsShooter
09-09-2012, 09:13 AM
The less the gooberment knows about what you own, the better........

SS

Ramar
09-09-2012, 09:14 AM
+1 with Trey45,
Ramar

historicfirearms
09-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Only rifles under 26 inches folded will still be considered a Michigan SBR. My AK will measure about 26.5 folded. I totally agree with less government intrusion, but I will be losing my right to concealed carry it if I don't register it before the first of the year.

Jailer
09-09-2012, 10:10 AM
historicfirearms, the registration legislation has not passed the senate yet. It's passed the house and has been introduced by Senator Mike Green. It is on the agenda to be voted on when the senate returns from summer break on 9-11.

The pistol legislation has been passed and is effective 1-1-13.

As far as what to do about the MI pistol grandfathering, only you can decide what to do about that. Weigh your options and concerns and make a decision.

Lloyd Smale
09-09-2012, 03:38 PM
until you get caught with it and try to explain you didint know on your way to the big house.
The less the gooberment knows about what you own, the better........

SS

firefly1957
09-09-2012, 04:36 PM
http://mcrgo.org/mcrgo/ is the ones to ask on this. Under federal law you can not make a pistol from a rifle or have a buttstock on any pistol with the exception of a revolver.

historicfirearms
09-10-2012, 07:43 PM
My AK won't be a pistol under federal law, only under the Michigan old law. I think I have made up my mind to just wait till after the first of the year to put the folding stock on it, and not have to worry about registering it with mother MI. Hey firefly, I don't live too far from you. That looks like quite a hand cannon in your avatar.