PDA

View Full Version : Latest HP Alloy Blend, might be a winner...

41mag
09-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Well for a month or so I have been looking over a LOT of data on blending the right alloy for HP's, that will not only allow them to expand, but will also hold them together. There are plenty of different blends most of which simply use pure lead and a good percentage of tin, like 30-1, 25-1, and 20-1. Not to mention the Keith favorite 16-1.

My biggest issue is that I do not have a copious amount of pure, maybe a hundred pounds at most. I do however have plenty of the large Iso Cores which should last me for years. That said I have been using the calculator to try and figure out what would be the best route for me to go about getting the 1/3/96 alloy softened up to a 1.5/1.5/97 without completely exhausting my pure supply. Not to mention using up expensive tin as well.

My latest blend was poured up two weeks ago, and the hardness was checked this past Tuesday on the two week mark. It fell right in at a 10BHN on my Cabine Tree tester. The boolits I had planned on casting are the MP .452 640 using both the small and large pins. Also there is the MP version 45 270 SAA, the H&G 503, and 41 HG 258. Since these are all the Cramer type molds, I had planned on blending an alloy that would hold together first, and then sort out which pin would or might be the best. My loads for each shoot VERY well with the straight Iso Core alloy, and I was unsure about softening them up and having the groups open up. But I figured that I would start with the proven load first then adjust from there depending on how things went.

So this morning I set up my bucket full of dirt at 50yds. The wind was gusting a little but not enough to bother my shooting. I loaded up the 270 SAA first knowing that was the last ones I had used and the 7.5" Redhawk was sighted in for them. The loads used were stoked with 16grs of AA-9, in Starline cases and lit with Wolf LP primers and lubed with the Recluse method. The velocity from my revolver is just over 1100fps with this load and VERY accurate out to 75yds even. I sent five of them down range, then inspected the barrel for any signs of leading. None what so ever was noted, which made me pretty happy.

I then switched over to the .452 640 with the small HP. For these I had used a load I have been using with the Lee 452 255 RF which I found on the Linebaugh article using 13grs of HS-6. With the Iso Core alloy these actually drop at 260grs and with the 640 the small HP's drop at about 275grs and the large HP's around 265grs. My actual intent was to use the large HP's for my 45acp, but I haven't' gotten around to playing with it just yet.

So after running 5 rounds of each down range I headed down with my sifter to see how they had done. Granted the sandy loam I use in my buckets is no way close to critter matter, but it does give repeatable results which is about all I can hope for right now. I removed the screw on top and started to slowly shave off the layers of dirt until I reached the first indication of a boolit. With what little dampness there is in this dirt, usually there is a dry spot just before you reach the boolits. Very carefully I sifted the previous dirt I had removed looking intently for any sign of fractured or broken pieces of the expanded HP. None were found. So I continued to easily remove the dirt and found my first perfectly mushroomed HP. As I removed it I measured the depth at which it had stopped and found that to be 6". Just another inch or two over from that one was another and then another, all looking like I had put them through a press of sorts, to get them to look almost identical. Here are a coupe which represent for the most part every one I recovered to some extent.

These were from 25yds,
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/2895504c6af9e55ac.jpg

and these from 50yds,
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/2895504c6af9abfc0.jpg

After recovering the 5 640's I gently dug a bit deeper until the tell tale sign of another boolit appeared. Again I gently removed the dirt until the boolit fell from the sand. Again I held in my hand another perfectly formed mushroom. I dug a bit deeper and found the other 4 resting at a depth of 8".

To be honest I had figured they would have been a bit deeper than they were but I am not overly concerned as the dirt does do a good job of stopping things.

So after replacing and packing the sand back into the bucket I pulled it in closer to the 25yd mark. I wanted to see if they would hold up to a bit higher impact speed. Again I started with the 45 270 SAA as I knew it would be deeper and hopefully not booger up the others. I fired 5 for group this time. After those were done with I put up another target and loaded up 5 more of the 640's. Again I fired for group and after I was done headed out to sift them out. The accuracy was pretty darned close to what I have been getting with the other loads as well.

Once again I was VERY pleased to find not only were there 10 perfect mushrooms, but thee were no signs of any fracturing or cracking anywhere I could find on the recovered boolits.

So hopefully I will be able to find a hog in the near future to test them out on. I am not overly worried about the penetration as I know that they will neither expand nor stop as short when they hit flesh as they did in the soft sand. My purpose was to put together an alloy using the large Iso core which would readily expand and not fracture the noses off as it did so. This I have accomplished. At least with the 45 Colt. The others remain to be tested. I do have pictures, but it will be sometime tomorrow or Monday before I can get them up.

So anyway here is my formula if anyone else with some of the large Iso Cores wants to give it a try,

1.5 / 1.5 / 97

Pure Tin - .0995# or 1.6oz

Pure Lead - 4.9# or 78.4oz

Large Iso Core alloy - 5# or 80oz

bowfin
09-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the work put into this.

It's great for the rest of us when someone shares what they have found, and giving all of us here a head start by not having to reinvent the wheel.

It looks like you have arrived at the place you want to be with that particular gun/load/boolit.

lwknight
09-09-2012, 05:37 PM
So apparently the 1.5% antimony did not hurt a thing.

Mine were about 2.5% tin with no appreciable antimony at 1400 fps into damp sandy loam.
Also weight retention was 99+

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv246/lwknight/Bfr_aft.jpg
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv246/lwknight/top.jpg

bumpo628
09-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Those mushrooms look amazing. Nice work!
How about a before picture for comparison?

41mag
09-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Those mushrooms look amazing. Nice work!
How about a before picture for comparison?

Thanks, but I couldn't have done it without the help of folks like yourself, and a few others here telling me where I might need to go with it. You calculator was instrumental in putting this and a few other recipes together. It is still a work in progress, as this was only one revolver of several I am working with. It is probably the easiest on the boolits as well. I know that the calculators aren't the last word on accuracy as the alloys vary depending on what you start off with and where it came from. My hopes are that by using something with somewhat a standard content, I will be able to reproduce it within a pretty tight range when ever I want or need to.

As for the pictures, yes they will be coming soon. We just got in from the country and I have a bit of stuff to take care of tonight. Here is a teaser, I might have some better ones on my old phone, but I can't get them off until tomorrow.

(Oh and I'm not nearly as good a photographer as some here are)

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Shooting/Cast%20Boolit%20Loading%20and%20Shooting/P1010011.jpg

(L to R, 45 270 SAA, 452 640 SMHP, 452 640 LGHP)
Just for comparrison the one on the right is only slightly smaller than the top from an Ozarka 16oz water bottle.

These were all recovered from 50yds. I only had two of the 640 LGHP's and one of them clipped the top of my bucket and kept on trucking. I had wanted to do one at both 25 and 50, but I took what I could get.

I am thinking after seeing how well this worked for the Colt, that I might need to have a bit more to it for the 41, and 44, and not even sure how the 454 will react. LOL

My next venture will be something in the range of 1.75/1.75/96.5 for the harder hitters. It only takes about an hour to weigh it up, blend it up, and pour it, the time is in the two weeks to cure out. No biggie though I have some left from this batch to keep me busy. Besides this stuff is a hoot.

41mag
09-09-2012, 09:21 PM
So apparently the 1.5% antimony did not hurt a thing.

Mine were about 2.5% tin with no appreciable antimony at 1400 fps into damp sandy loam.
Also weight retention was 99+

Yep you have about the same powdery sugar sand a we do down in the Palestine area. With just enough moisture in it to pack it makes a good stopper for sudo testing, or at least repeatable and cheap.

I added in tin to bring the content up to equal parts tin/antimony. This, from what I have read about, and what has been recommended, is about the best you can do other than add in enough pure to more or less thin it out. Being as I don't have a lot of pure on hand, I am working on adding a bit of tin, and it doesn't take much once you start adding in some pure as well.

Like I mentioned there are great alloys like 30,25,20, and 16 to one which would probably work equally as well, but not having a big supply of either pure lead or tin, I am simply working with what I DO have, and trying to make it last. I just figured that as many of those cores as have been purchased, someone else might look want to try it out as well.

The calculator that Bumpo put together is the cats meow for working it up and getting the weights right, or as right as you can get without a complete analysis of your raw materials. For what I will be using it for it works out great.

bumpo628
09-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Those things stick together like a wad of chewing gum.
Btw, I'm glad I could help in any way.

41mag
09-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Well I managed to get a few more pictures put up this morning,

Alloy Testing (http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Shooting/Cast%20Boolit%20Loading%20and%20Shooting/Alloy%20Testing/?start=all)

Enjoy.

fredj338
09-10-2012, 03:26 PM
They look good, now try them in some wetpack. Not animal tissue either, but good wetpack is very close to what I get from recovered bullets form game.

GL49
09-14-2012, 09:01 PM
I'd like to see what what would happen in the 44 or 454. I've got to dig around in my moulds and see if I have a hollow point mould for my 44 magnum or 454 casull. Loaded up pretty hot and with gas checks, I wonder how it would hold together? I imagine I'll be in the group buy forum next.

lwknight
09-14-2012, 09:07 PM
You do not especially need hollow points in full power 44mag or 454 casull to get good expansion if your boolits are not too hard.

I'm not saying hollow points are not cool but just that if one does not have a HP mold that you can still play.