PDA

View Full Version : graduation anyone?

trickyasafox
05-20-2007, 11:34 PM
so this was a big weekend for graduations. I finished undergrad and had the ceremony yesterday (saturday)

to celebrate, my rents were nice enough to offer to buy me a handgun. I am calling my local gun dealer tomorrow to get me track me down a used security six :drinks: :drinks:

so i just wanted to say congrats to anyone else out there who finished up, and to a lesser extent, just share the fact that i graduated and feel pretty nifty about it.

obssd1958
05-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Congratulations!!!!!

And good choice on the security six. I hope you get one as good as the one I have. It is the best shooter in my collection!

Good luck!:drinks:

Don

dk17hmr
05-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Congrats I am getting my associates degree in a few weeks. I should stay at it and get my Bachelor's but I need to get out of here. To much sitting around not enough doing something for me with college.

felix
05-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Doug, you are about to embark on one big boo-boo by quitting. Get a co-op job, one that pays. That is called "internship" nowadays. Emphasize hands on, something like inventory checkout. Boring yes, but you will be on your feet. Or, something like that which will pay money. Most internships today do not pay enough to continue school in a semester or two later. ... felix

dk17hmr
05-21-2007, 08:35 PM
My degree is Architecture and Construction technology. I applied to the local Carpentry Union for an apprentiship, if I get in great if not I am headed to San Deigo for 13 weeks.

Right now I work at a local cabinet shop as much as I can which is about 34 hours a week. My boss seems to want me to stay for the summer possible longer, but I would have to move down here for the summer, I also get paid in cash which is nice but sooner or later I need to start payin taxes.

DLCTEX
05-21-2007, 09:25 PM
trickyasafox: congrats on both the graduation and the security six, both are great. Dale

carpetman
05-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Would that 13 weeks in San Diego be some kind of boot camp?

trickyasafox
05-21-2007, 11:17 PM
dk17hmr-

I know what you mean by having to get out of there. some people just can't stand paper shuffling, and need to have something to show for their work. Your one of those people who needs to see accomplishment, and there is NOTHING wrong with that. I wish i had some skills that would allow me to work with my hands and really create things, be it carpentry, electrician, plumber, any of the craft trades. I just don't have that kind of apptitude, so i stay in school hoping to find a different path.

Thin Man
05-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Doug,
One of my friends worked a co-op job through college for a Civil Engineer(surveyor). He worked one semester, schooled the next, continued this rotation until he got his degree. After college he opened his own surveying shop. Both the business and he personally prospered. He has just retired from the largest and most respected Civil Engineering office in the county (his!). Along with retirement, he is extremely well off, has NO worries about being able to buy groceries. By all means continue your education. The above is just one more option you could consider. Best of luck to you!