PDA

View Full Version : If No Warranty on Presses which one would you buy?

KohlerK91
09-08-2012, 07:05 PM
If no one offered a warranty on their reloading presses and accessory equipment which one would you buy?

Current or past production models.

KohlerK91
09-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Its always nice to pick up the phone and get a new part mailed for free. Or just ship a press in for minimal $$ to be returned as NEW.

The tables have now turned and there are NO more free parts.(because NOTHING in this world is free) And if you want a rebuild, its ganna be alot MORE than just the cost of shipping it to the manufacture.

Does this have any effect on the decision of which reloading equipment to buy?

reg293
09-08-2012, 07:27 PM
I would go for Lee!

AZ Pete
09-08-2012, 07:30 PM
I would still buy a Forster Co-Ax press and Forster or RCBS dies. For a progressive, I would stick with a Dillon SDB for pistol ctgs. And, I would buy them all used, rather than new, if I could find them.

jimkim
09-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Single Stage_____________Turret____________Progressive
1. Forster Co Ax______1. Lee Classic Turret___1. Dillon RL550
2. Lee Classic Cast
3. Redding Ultramag

Dies
1. Pacific Durachrome(the ones made like the Reddings)
2. Redding
3. Lee

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-08-2012, 07:33 PM
single stage ?
if yes, then the Lee classic cast.

Other than single stage ?
I really like the Lee classic Turret too, but if I could afford it, I'd probably go full auto and buy a dillon.
Jon

1hole
09-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I've been reloading for almost five decades now, know a lot of others who reload. I'ver never heard of anyone needing warranty work due to a manufactoring defect. Therefore, if you aren't one of those who absolutely no mechanical skill at all there is no reason to think you might need warranty work but I don't know of any that don't have a year or two coverage anyway; anyone with an honest defect should be able to find it in that time.

I'm mostly a low volume rifle shooter looking for accuracy so my preference is a single stage. What I use is good but irrelivant to your question but what I would replace it with if I had to is Lee's Classic Cast. If I wanted a bit faster operation I'd get Lee's Classic Turret. And that's because of their features, not cost.

scb
09-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Its always nice to pick up the phone and get a new part mailed for free. Or just ship a press in for minimal $$ to be returned as NEW.

The tables have now turned and there are NO more free parts.(because NOTHING in this world is free) And if you want a rebuild, its ganna be alot MORE than just the cost of shipping it to the manufacture.

Does this have any effect on the decision of which reloading equipment to buy?

I've gotten free parts from RCBS when ever I've needed them no questions asked. Hasn't been very often tho.

Lets see ya break this one.
http://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/55-ultramag-reloading-press
This is what I bought after I sold an A4 I had and didn't care for. Only thing is I'm sure I paid considerably less than $200.00 when I bought mine.

abunaitoo
09-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Go to the gunshows and look for a used cast iron press.
Those never go bad.
If you want new, Lee Classic Cast single is as good as anything else out there.
Classic Cast Turrent would be better in the long run.

angus6
09-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Thats simple, Star presses and 1050's ,, we don't need no stinking warranty

They look great on my bench

jmort
09-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Lee Precision Classic Cast and Classic Turret - highest rated turret press and single stage press on Midway USA regardless of price.

Kevin Rohrer
09-09-2012, 12:06 AM
Just about anything that doesn't have "Lee" on it is just fine by me. Almost all my presses were bought used and many are as old or older than me. They will outlast me and their next two owners.

BillP
09-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Just about anything that doesn't have "Lee" on it is just fine by me. Almost all my presses were bought used and many are as old or older than me. They will outlast me and their next two owners.

+1 Yep...what he said

GLL
09-09-2012, 12:13 PM
For single stage .38 Special and .44 Special I have three Hollywood Senior presses sitting side by side along with a Lachmiller priming press. ! Super Smooth turretless operation! :)
Everything is conveniently up front and out in the open on the old Hollywoods !

Jerry

Kevin Rohrer
09-09-2012, 12:17 PM
GLL: I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

:Luvcastboolits:

dragon813gt
09-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Same as now; Lee. I can afford to buy them a few times(compared to other brands) if something is wrong. But I've never had anything wrong so I don't see the need to spend more money.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

PS Paul
09-09-2012, 12:32 PM
I have a LEE classic cast for 25 years of HEAVY use up tp .458 win mag. One of their turret presses also, and they have never failed me. Bought the classic single stage long ago because of initial startup cost. Turret press because I like it irrespective of cost.

Char-Gar
09-09-2012, 02:17 PM
In 54 years of reloading I have never damaged, broken or wore out a press, so I pay no attention to warantees. In fact, the issue never occured to me until I read the subject matter of this thread.

If warantees are important than buy a Lee press as they are the ones that seem to break the most. RCBS has the best warantee in the business, but I have never hear of anyone needing customer service on a RCBS press.

rasto
09-09-2012, 02:38 PM
As I mentioned in other post this is the result of my swaging purpose.
I do not known if the send less quality pieces to Europe or what was the problem.
My Lee cast after swaging 10 000+ (6 stroke per bullet) .223s within 4 months.
I can feel allowance in the ram.
http://img.janforman.com/th/CIMG1775resize9yxl.JPG (http://img.janforman.com/CIMG1775resize9yxl.JPG)

The press was lubed before every session.

I am going to return it because of warranty.

dragon813gt
09-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Are the Lee cast presses sold as swaging presses? If yes, then I see a problem. If no, then a tool is being used for something other than what it's designed for and I'd expect failure. I don't expect Benhmade to replace the blade on my mini griptilian because I was using it to pry bullets out of a post. I knew going into it I'd most likely snap the point off, which I did.

LUBEDUDE
09-09-2012, 05:38 PM

No fair, he copied my answer!

Kraschenbirn
09-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Single-stage? Forster Co-Ax or (old style) Rockchucker. I used a Bonanza/Forster '68' for ALL my single-stage work (including case forming) for almost 40 years before the ram developed a stress crack in the shellholder slot. Replaced it with an older Rockchucker - built like an anvil - and expect that it will probably be sold on my estate sale.

Progressive? Dillon 550B. I've had one of my Dillons (a DL450) since the early '80s without a single 'major' failure. Yeah, I've worn out a few small bits, here and there, which were replaced 'no questions asked' but the all the major components are 'original equipment' after four or five hundred-thousand rounds. I must admit, though, that since I got my DL550B, the ol' 450 stays set up for .44s because of the ease of caliber change on the new(er) press.

Bill

km101
09-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Single stage..............RCBS Rock Chucker (old style if you can find it.)

Progressive..............Hornady LNL, or Dillon 650 id you hust have too much money!

This is what works for me. Someone else may have different needs/preferences. That's why there are so many different manufacturers out there. One size does NOT fit all!

jimkim
09-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Mental note to self: do not lube press with sand.

1hole
09-09-2012, 07:09 PM
No 'reloading' press is made for swaging bullets, that requires more pressure than reloading presses are built for but I understand that a lot of very knowledgable people are using Lee's Classic Cast to do it.

Char-Gar
09-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Here is a circa 1935 Pacific C press that cost me $15.00 plus $2.00 for the steel to make a new handle. The press is all original and as tight and smooth as when new about 80 years ago. It has at least another 80 to go and no need for a warantee.

joec
09-09-2012, 11:19 PM
It would be the Lee Classic Turret or Lee Classic cast bar none. Oh and I own them now as well as two other Lee presses, the Reloader and hand press. Based on value/quality they function great for a ridiculously low price compared to other makers.

canyon-ghost
09-09-2012, 11:33 PM
I use a couple of RockChuckers, after learning to reload with a Lyman Turret press. My reason is that the mechanical advantage makes it easy. I love those big, strong RCBS presses.

Sold the Dillon too.

pergoman
09-09-2012, 11:47 PM
It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Lots of good single stage presses are available if you have the time and/or don't shoot that many rounds. Take your pick of whatever brand you like. I have rockchuckers and spartans.
If, on the other hand, you shoot several hunderd rounds or more per week you need a progressive. Maybe more than one. Yes, I like my Dillons and have loaded thousands of rounds on each of them. I am able to invest in a high quality, high production volume press because I can't afford the time necessary to load on a single stage press for many of the calibers I shoot. A Dillon 650 with casefeed costs about 2 months worth of car payments (for most cars) and it will last more than a lifetime. How long are you planning to stay involved in this game?

quasi
09-10-2012, 12:41 AM
I had a 550 Dillon for a few years, and broke and wore out quite a few parts. If it didn't have the 100% warranty, I would have been soured on it. Come to think of it, the last couple of times I had parts shipped they charged me shipping. (Canada)

rasto
09-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Dragon have you ever swaged a .223 bullet?
It is less stressful than full sizing .308 brass!
The quality of material caused the problem.
I know I use it a lot in a short period of time but that is the reason why I bought it!
No excuse.

1hole
09-10-2012, 08:39 AM
"I use a couple of RockChuckers, after learning to reload with a Lyman Turret press. My reason is that the mechanical advantage makes it easy. I love those big, strong RCBS presses."

Canyon, I went the same way, Spar-T to RC and then added a couple of Lee's. Thing is, NO ONE still makes the old single toggle link lever system so they ALL have the compound mechanical advantage that makes it easy. My younger friend's Lee's Clsssic Cast is bigger, stronger and more precisely machined than my old RC 2 and his actually catches spent primers rather than tossing them all over the floor; I like that!

Wal'
09-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Dragon have you ever swaged a .223 bullet?
It is less stressful than full sizing .308 brass!
The quality of material caused the problem.
I know I use it a lot in a short period of time but that is the reason why I bought it!
No excuse.

If you're going to try for a warranty claim I would not be mentioning swaging or this post.

As Dragon said, they're sold as a reloading press, not a swage machine.

Char-Gar
09-10-2012, 11:29 AM
It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Lots of good single stage presses are available if you have the time and/or don't shoot that many rounds. Take your pick of whatever brand you like. I have rockchuckers and spartans.
If, on the other hand, you shoot several hunderd rounds or more per week you need a progressive. Maybe more than one. Yes, I like my Dillons and have loaded thousands of rounds on each of them. I am able to invest in a high quality, high production volume press because I can't afford the time necessary to load on a single stage press for many of the calibers I shoot. A Dillon 650 with casefeed costs about 2 months worth of car payments (for most cars) and it will last more than a lifetime. How long are you planning to stay involved in this game?

In the 10 year period from 1958 to 1968 I was deep into Bullseye pistol shooting as well as four postion high power rifle shooting. I loaded 250,000 rounds of 45 ACP and 38 Special ammo, plus enough 30-06 ammo to shoot out 2 Springfield 03 barrels and 1 Garand barrel. I also loaded thousands of rounds for other calibers.

I did it all with a Pacific Super C press and a Lyman Tru-Line Jr. turret Press. The Lyman lasted about two years before the pin holes in the linkage wore oval and the press had to be sidelined. It could only load handgun ammo though.

Therefore, I get a little amused when guys tell me that NEED a Dillion high production machine. It is OK to have them and OK to want them, but need..I don't think so. A person's perspective on what is needful and what is desireable is shaped by the times in when they live.

When you get organized and learn how to do it, a production rate of 200 to 300 rounds an hour of 45 ACP or 38 Special ammo is easy with a single stage press.

They did have progress presses back in those days. They were the Star and the Phelps, but I only knew of a couple of guys out of the scores of shooter I knew that had enough money to buy one. They didn't seem to shoot any better than the rest of us who pumped press handles.

rasto
09-10-2012, 02:20 PM
DO not worry wal probably I am the only one in the state who is swaging :-)
As I said I pull the handle approx 70 000 times and it doesn't withstand and swarf started to came out :-(

jmort
09-10-2012, 04:04 PM
^ You are joking right?

Jack Stanley
09-10-2012, 04:09 PM
If I had to pay for repairs and such I'd buy something like a Bonanza CO-AX , a Dillon 550 and a Pacific 007 press . Since Hornady doesn't make the 007 any more I'd substitute a Rock Chucker or a Redding press and be happy with that .

As a side note I have a LEE hand press and a Lyman "C" that were a good buy and as little as I use them they will last a long time .

So far the only parts I would have had to pay for are the connecting arms on the Bonanza and a powder measure and some other small parts for the Dillon .

Jack

r1kk1
09-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Another champion and their bullet swaging dies or a solid ram Rock Chuck Bullet Swage, you know rock chucker. I still love the old non production presses.

Take care

r1kk1

KohlerK91
09-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Thats simple, Star presses and 1050's ,, we don't need no stinking warranty

They look great on my bench

I agree with the Star presses because they are all brass and steal. I think the claim was 1,000,000 rounds it care for properly. Absolutely no warranty needed.

And yes I am a RL 1050 fan too. There are some plastic pieces that might need replaced but are pretty cheap. No warranty needed.

Single stage would be a RCBS "2A" rockchucker. No warranty needed.

Turret Press T-7 Redding No warranty needed.

jmorris
09-13-2012, 09:04 AM
The best one. The Dillon 1050 is only one year warranty and I haven't had any press not last that long.

Wayne Smith
09-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Well, let's see. I bought the Hollywood Sr. without a warranty. I bought the Bair Brown Bair without a warranty. I bought the Lyman TrueLine Jr. without a warranty.

Does that answer your question?

saz
09-13-2012, 11:27 AM
When you get organized and learn how to do it, a production rate of 200 to 300 rounds an hour of 45 ACP or 38 Special ammo is easy with a single stage press.

+1 here. I have loaded plenty of rounds on a single stage press. Personally I think everyone should learn to handload on a single stage instead of jumping straight into a progressive. JMHO.....

LUBEDUDE
09-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Well, let's see. I bought the Hollywood Sr. without a warranty. I bought the Bair Brown Bair without a warranty. I bought the Lyman TrueLine Jr. without a warranty.

Does that answer your question?

+ 1

Just think, Old School

1_Ogre
09-18-2012, 04:27 PM
If no one offered a warranty on their reloading presses and accessory equipment which one would you buy?

Current or past production models.
I'd go with a Dillon. They have a no time limit no BS warranty. I have a used one and when something breaks (not that often at all and it's usually my fault) you call Dillon and the new part/parts are on the way that day. Dillon is the way to go

Char-Gar
09-18-2012, 04:56 PM
I think the question was..which press would you buy IF there was no warranty and no new parts on the way?

In light of the question, the warranty and customer service of various makers is not relevant. The guys wants to know which press to buy that won't break and need repairs.

The more moving parts a press has, the more likely it will be to break.
The more pot metal parts a press has, the more likely it will break.
The more alloy parts a press has, the more likely it will break
The more aluminum parts a press has, the more likely it will be to break.

That leaves a press with a cast iron or steel body and all steel parts otherwise. I still vote for the old single stage cast iron press.

Moondawg
09-18-2012, 05:08 PM
For Rifle, my Redding Turret press, and for pistol my Dillon 550. :lovebooli

geargnasher
09-18-2012, 05:54 PM
DO not worry wal probably I am the only one in the state who is swaging :-)
As I said I pull the handle approx 70 000 times and it doesn't withstand and swarf started to came out :-(

That's about how many cycles it took for me to wear out an RCBS Ammomaster doing normal single-stage reloading tasks. Got a new ram and base for free, but I could have purchased four Classic Cast presses for the money, and not have had to deal with the primer residue eating up the ram from the lousy primer dump on the RCBS. Lee really fixed a lot of common press problems when they invented the primer dump tube out the bottom of the ram so the grit doesn't contaminate the ram lubricant and become an abrasive slurry.

Gear

Char-Gar
09-18-2012, 11:31 PM
That's about how many cycles it took for me to wear out an RCBS Ammomaster doing normal single-stage reloading tasks. Got a new ram and base for free, but I could have purchased four Classic Cast presses for the money, and not have had to deal with the primer residue eating up the ram from the lousy primer dump on the RCBS. Lee really fixed a lot of common press problems when they invented the primer dump tube out the bottom of the ram so the grit doesn't contaminate the ram lubricant and become an abrasive slurry.

Gear

Back in the 50's RCBS A series of presses had a hollow ram and the spent primers go into it and from thence to a bucket on the floor. So Lee didn't invent the primers going out of the bottom of the ram.

zuke
09-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Lee Classic Turret for me

sparky45
09-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Lee is pretty much junk, especially the lower end line of Lee presses. I have had very good service with my Dillon 650. No broken parts and no down time. Every caliber I load is preset with it's own individual toolhead so caliber changes are quick and easy. I also have two seperate primer systems. Love my Dillon, but I haven't been able to test out the warranty.

1hole
09-19-2012, 09:31 AM
"Back in the 50's RCBS A series of presses had a hollow ram and the spent primers go into it and from thence to a bucket on the floor. So Lee didn't invent the primers going out of the bottom of the ram."

The question isn't 'who developed a good way to handle spent primers'; at this point that's meaningless because it's no help. The question is who has it now and that would be Lee. RCBS abandoned the good system when they abandoned the A series presses.

Lee's Classic Cast and Classic Turrets are the best presses of their types currently available. My main press is a near perfect condition 25 year old RockChucker 2 but I know it's shortcomings and have no blind loyalty to inanimate objects or colors. IF I had to replace my 'big' green press next week it would be a red Classic Cast.

Condemning Lee's small, lower cost presses as 'junk' is silly; a LOT of people use them perfectly well for decades. How likely anything is to wear out or break depends a whole lot on how mechanically adept the user is and how intelligently he choses his tools for the task they will be asked to perform. Loading smallish quanities of handgun ammo does not require the mass of a cast iron press nor a costly progressive. Obviously, trying to load .416 Rem or reform .30-06 to .243 (yeah, I do that) on a small alloy press is also unwise but never blast the tool because the user hasn't a clue what he's doing with it.

Common sense is an uncommon virtue these days.

sparky45
09-19-2012, 10:35 AM
"Back in the 50's RCBS A series of presses had a hollow ram and the spent primers go into it and from thence to a bucket on the floor. So Lee didn't invent the primers going out of the bottom of the ram."

The question isn't 'who developed a good way to handle spent primers'; at this point that's meaningless because it's no help. The question is who has it now and that would be Lee. RCBS abandoned the good system when they abandoned the A series presses.

Lee's Classic Cast and Classic Turrets are the best presses of their types currently available. My main press is a near perfect condition 25 year old RockChucker 2 but I know it's shortcomings and have no blind loyalty to inanimate objects or colors. IF I had to replace my 'big' green press next week it would be a red Classic Cast.

Condemning Lee's small, lower cost presses as 'junk' is silly; a LOT of people use them perfectly well for decades. How likely anything is to wear out or break depends a whole lot on how mechanically adept the user is and how intelligently he choses his tools for the task they will be asked to perform. Loading smallish quanities of handgun ammo does not require the mass of a cast iron press nor a costly progressive. Obviously, trying to load .416 Rem or reform .30-06 to .243 (yeah, I do that) on a small alloy press is also unwise but never blast the tool because the user hasn't a clue what he's doing with it.

Very "pithy" 1hole; however, Lee HASN'T made a press that will prime a round on ANY of there progressive presses. AND, the low end presses are junky low grade cast AL with serious QC problems. The one press Lee makes that I use and like happens to be the breech-lock Challenger. It's a great press for decapping and for working up a load. Otherwise, "silly" or not I stand by my prior statement.

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.”
― Confucius

dragon813gt
09-19-2012, 10:40 AM
One man's junk is another man's prize.

Char-Gar
09-19-2012, 10:53 AM

A couple of items in response;

1. I was just resonding to Gears assertion that Lee "invented" the primer dropping out through the ram. There were other presses that did that, prior to Lee coming on line. I wan't tryhing to be helpful to anyone with current issues. I just trying to give a little clarity to the history of reloading presses.

2. Well, "silly" is in the eyes or ears of the individual, as well as the meaning of "junk". As you read and observe folks on this and other sites talking about their Lee equipment, there is much back and forth about how to fix or otherwise get the equipment to work propertly.

I hold the opinion, reloading equipment should work as it should right out of the box and continue to do so for the lifetime of the owner. That is that is the standard I use. Others may use other standards and that is their right.

To place the label of "silly" on the opinion of another, that is different from yours is well..silly. To impute brand loyality to their motives, is dismissive of the opinion of others that may be grounded in experience and not mere brand loyality.

I just simply relay my experience with reloading tools over the 55 years span of my experience with them. During that time, my experience with Lee stuff had not been positive. The equipment did not meet my standards as above mentioned. I don't feel it is silly for me to express that, nor does it come from any "color bias" about equipment. It is just simply the facts as I know them to be.

This is what we do on this site. We exchange information and experiences about reloading, bullet casting and the equipment used to do these things.

People can spend their reloading dollar any way their please, matter not to me, as it is not my money. When I spend my money it will not be for Lee equipment. Now is that silly?

sargenv
09-19-2012, 11:19 AM
If you're going to try for a warranty claim I would not be mentioning swaging or this post.

A couple of years back when BT was making the modified CH dies, I had an early version of his die that messed up the lips of the ram of my RCII. I called RCBS for a replacement ram that I offered to pay for. They replaced it for free knowing full well that I was using the press for swaging. At that time I also picked up a swaging ram that Brian machined specifically for my use with his dies..

sparky45
09-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Well stated Char-Gar. My opinion is based on usage, not color. I started with the Lee 1000 which worked most of the time, but was hampered by primer issues. My logical switch was to a Lee Loadmaster which worked some of the time but has multiple issues, the worst was a priming issue. Sold them all for a Dillon 650 and it runs almost all the time with an occassional hiccup with a primer issue(approx 1-2 per session). I have used Lyman T-mag with a good deal of success, but didn't meet my needs for handgun ammo. So, I have a little experience with various loaders and I still will assert that Lee presses are '"junk-esk", if that is even a word. If you don't believe me about primer/priming issues with the Lee progressive presses, go to "loadmastervideos" site and check out what is said about the #1 problem.

1hole
09-19-2012, 12:59 PM
:) Note that I specifically addressed the sneering comments on Lee's "low end alloy presses", not their progressives.

Also understand that a lot of people obtain good service even with Lee's progressives. Given that the machines are the same with only the users being different strongly suggests to me the real problem isn't the machine! Saying "My in personal experience, I had trouble with this and that" is no valid evidence this and that is poorly made when so many others obviously disagree.

You may carry on. :D

Char-Gar
09-19-2012, 01:25 PM
The only experience a person can relate with any authority and accuracy is their personal experience. I would not talk about your experience because I was not there to know all of the conditions and circumstances under which it took place.

Because of this "my" experience is the only experience that is meaningful to me.

Lizard333
09-19-2012, 03:58 PM
No 'reloading' press is made for swaging bullets, that requires more pressure than reloading presses are built for but I understand that a lot of very knowledgable people are using Lee's Classic Cast to do it.

Not true. RCBS stands for "Rock Chuck Bullet Swager"

Didn't know this till a couple of months ago

My vote is for Dillon. Never had major problems. Good stuff.

MT Chambers
09-19-2012, 06:45 PM
I'd go with Forster Co-ax first, then Redding, then RCBS, then anything but Lee.

LatheRunner
09-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Redding boss, Rcbs rockchucker. A good cast iron press will last a life time. I don't use a progressive press but I think the Dillon would be the way to go.

1hole
09-19-2012, 07:23 PM
"Not true. RCBS stands for "Rock Chuck Bullet Swager""

Yeah, that's what RCBS means, or rather that's what it once meant. Well, "Swage" anyway, not swager; it wasn't the press. The label was originally applied to Fred Huntington's (the founder) .22/.24 varmint bullet swaging dies but I'm not sure what you mean with that statement now. I can assure you that what the product it was originally put on was dropped from the line fairly soon after WWII but the brand was established and all it has meant since then is 'RCBS'. They've designed a LOT of presses but nothing I know of they have made since I started in '65 was expected to swage bullets and they weren't advertised as such.

helice
09-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Not everybody that casts his boolits is going to want or need a Redding or a co-ax. I thoroughly enjoy reloading. I started on a Herter's C press, got a Rock Chucker then gave it away. Got a Lee C press and gave it away. Got a Dillon 450 and gave it away. Got a Lee O press and gave it away. Got a basic Lee Turret and (you guessed it) I gave it away. Got an RCBS Junior and a Spartan which I still use with the Dillon 550B. I gave all those presses to men I got started reloading. Sure the RockChucker is great but I loaded a lot more ctgs on the Lees. None of them have ever "broken" or wore out so warrantee doesn't matter much to me.

KohlerK91
09-19-2012, 08:11 PM
I'd go with a Dillon. They have a no time limit no BS warranty. I have a used one and when something breaks (not that often at all and it's usually my fault) you call Dillon and the new part/parts are on the way that day. Dillon is the way to go

No....... the question is, if there was NO warrantyon the press of your choice, what would you buy? Meaning you would have to pay for all those little pieces you use to get for free. And there is no such thng as a free rebuild.

What would you buy then?

Still the Same choice?

I know myself I buy the Craftsman tools because of the Warranty. It's Pretty good. I can pretty much take any of my mechanic handtools in and get a FREE replacemt. Even if they arent broke. (If I wanted to.) If there was no Warranty anymore my choice would different.

I mean does the warranty make the tool better just because they will replace it when it breaks, even if it is 10 times?

I dont think so.

jmorris
09-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Got a Dillon 450 and gave it away. Got a Lee O press and gave it away. Got a basic Lee Turret and (you guessed it) I gave it away. I would have taken them all without a warranty.

No....... the question is, if there was NO warrantyon the press of your choice, what would you buy? Meaning you would have to pay for all those little pieces you use to get for free. And there is no such thng as a free rebuild.

What would you buy then?

Still the Same choice?

I know myself I buy the Craftsman tools because of the Warranty. It's Pretty good. I can pretty much take any of my mechanic handtools in and get a FREE replacemt. Even if they arent broke. (If I wanted to.) If there was no Warranty anymore my choice would different. As a few of us have pointed out the best Dillon loader (1050) really has no warranty (one year, but what Dillon or anyother press can't make it that long), but if you want the most solid progressive it doesn't matter.

I have some cheap China made tools (HF has life time warranty too) that I scatter around handy but the tools in my truck, that are where I am, whenever I need them the most are Snap on.
Kind of like my left handed drill bits, keep them in the truck because you don't always need them but when you do, you REALLY need them.

r1kk1
09-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Back in the 50's RCBS A series of presses had a hollow ram and the spent primers go into it and from thence to a bucket on the floor. So Lee didn't invent the primers going out of the bottom of the ram.

Char,

I know it's been close to 30 years since, but if I remember right, it was a solid ram with a primer disposal drilled through. I know on RCBS site, you can order a solid ram (don't know if its drilled for primer disposal), for bullet swaging duties. It felt like the ram weighed a ton! I know the Champion is solid and drilled through.

I know you have a few presses just wanted to ask. Those A's were a beast!

r1kk1

Char-Gar
09-20-2012, 04:28 PM
The RCBS A2 has a two piece ram. The top/smaller part has a slot for the primer arm like you would expect, but the spent primers fall into the second larger ram and out a hole in the back of this larger ram. Just put a bucket under the press and the spent primers fall into it.

Oil and stuff can clog up the hole in the back of the ram and a little cleaning from time to time is in order.

The RCBS A2 was made from cast steel and was indeed intended for bullet swaging as well as reloading. A number of small production custom bullet shops used these presses to produce their bullets. Ralph Sisk in Iowa Park Texas was one such bullet maker that used these presses.

My press is one of the A2s that came out of Sisk's shop. It was made in the 60's, but seems to be as good as new and none-the-worse for it's prior use. As far as I can tell, it is all original with no replacement parts.

I have a friend who is a gun writer, that asked RCBS a couple of years back if they could produce the A2 again. RCBS said they could, but they would have to sell for $700.00 to make it pay, and there was not enough demand for a single stage press of that price.

A few years before its demise, the A2 was made in cast iron and not steel. IIRC the iron A3 and Rockchucker were made at the same time for a year or two and then the A3 went by by. Anybody looking to buy a A2 should look for one with the bushing in the die hole, those are cast steel. The presses without the bushing are the later cast iron A3 version.

I am sorely tempted to buy ever A2 I run accross, but that would just be hoarding as these things never wear out and I don't see how they could be broken.

EDG
09-20-2012, 04:52 PM
I would just find a like new in about this order
1. RCBS A2
2. Rockchucker
3. Big Max
4. One of the heavy Pacific or Reding presses

quasi
09-20-2012, 11:23 PM
The RCBS A4 or Big Max used a Hollow ram (heavy wall tubing) and Lee copied that system.

r1kk1
09-21-2012, 02:56 AM
Thanks quasi and char. It seems that there isn't anything truly genuine or innovative. Just recycled themes of days gone by. That's ok. I wished pressman and a few of the guys wrote an article on the evolution of the reloading press. I seen a posting a few months back of a lnl style bushing that was dated 1970.

Take care

r1kk1