PDA

View Full Version : Leementing a mold suggestions?

mistermog
09-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Hi again everyone,

I have a 356-120-TC 6 banger from LEE and it does not like to drop boolits from 2 of its cavities. I had a few boolits that I casted and kept track of which cavities they came from and tried to do the drill a hole into the base and turn with a screw driver etc but... I could not get it drilled to save my life.

Its either wobbly or off center or just plain a mess.

Is there an easier fool proof way to do this or does anyone do this for a few bucks anymore?

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-08-2012, 06:27 PM
drill a hole into the base and turn with a screw driver
Turn with a screwdriver ???

Here's something to try.
Pre-heat the mold.
With the sprue plate "Open",
put a 3/8" nut or similar size over each cavity.
pour molten lead in the cavities, right up to the top of the nut.

Now you can use that for Lee-menting, using a wrench or socketed ratchet.
Jon

GRUMPA
09-08-2012, 06:49 PM
What JonB described was about the safest way to do it. Me, I cast a few and drill a small hole in the center of the boolits and use a short hex-head sheet metal screw, and use my drill that makes short work of it. Must admit after LEEMENTING my LEE moulds they work better than new.

sthwestvictoria
09-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Pouring the lead through the nut method really works well.

Here is one set of pictures:
http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/MoldMods/MoldLapping1.pdf

and here:
http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/MoldMods/default.html

best pictures of the nut method in the file "Leementing the 6 Cavity Molds"

runfiverun
09-08-2012, 08:16 PM
i put the boolit in the mold and just barely start the drill bit in the base.
and use a screw with a star bit type head.
i only partly run the screw in the boolit.
take it out and apply the lapping compound.
then run it with the electric drill slowly at first then hit it with a couple of bursts.
controlling the pressure on the mold with my other hand.

chuebner
09-08-2012, 08:28 PM
I cast as normal, cut off the sprue and close the sprue plate leaving the bullets in the mold. I then use a magic marker to mark the bases of the bullets through the sprue plate. Or you can use a spring-loaded center punch on the center of the bullet base.

charlie

farmer66
09-09-2012, 08:32 AM
I have a method that works well for me. Clamp a soft 2 X 4 to the table of a drill press. Drill a hole about the same size as the bullet, change the bit to a small size, stick the bullet in the hole and drill the bullet. The hole should be very well centered.

Ken

H.Callahan
09-10-2012, 12:54 PM
BTW, if you use the nut over the sprue hole method, it is a wise idea to use brass nuts if you can. I slightly scratched top of a mold once using steel nuts. It was minor and not really an issue, but why take a chance?

Baryngyl
09-10-2012, 11:53 PM
BTW, if you use the nut over the sprue hole method, it is a wise idea to use brass nuts if you can. I slightly scratched top of a mold once using steel nuts. It was minor and not really an issue, but why take a chance?
Could you place a piece of paper or foil between the top and the nut?

Michael Grace

ipijohn
09-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Could you place a piece of paper or foil between the top and the nut?

Michael Grace

How about a piece of parchment paper with a hole in it?

mistermog
09-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Wow, ok I don't have access to a drill press and can't get the drill to drill into the bullet on center or straight. Basically im holding it by hand.

I didn't try the nut way yet because I don't have brass nuts but might try it with some kind of spacer between the nut and the mold soon. I like this idea and feel the nut is much safer than me trying to use drills and screw drivers with an aluminum mold :)