PDA

View Full Version : receiver sight 92 win

milltownhunter
09-08-2012, 04:22 PM
has anyone mounted a willaims 94 reciver sight on a winchester 92 i call willaims and they do not know if any of there sight will work i also emailed lyman sound ? able

pietro
09-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Yes, and there's a few choices, depending on your druthers.

The sight setup is basically the same as a Model 1894/94, so any of those peep sights will work -

but

Some guns will need to be drilled/tapped for the chosen sight.

A Williams 94/36 FP or 5D can be mounted to the LH rear side of the receiver, just like a Model 94, with a D/T of two 6-48 holes to mount it. The rifle may/may not require a front sight taller than issue to zero (@ 100yds)

A Williams FP or 5D 94AE (for the Angle-Eject Model 94) will mount via two 6-48 holes D/T'd, one in the rear end of each receiver sidewall/rail to accept the base.

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/DSCN0384.jpg

The sight body will hang down the LH side of the receiver, just like the side-mounted FP/5D, but since the sight bar sits lower, the rifle should easily zero with the issue height front sight.

The XS receiver peep sight will also mount in two 6-48 holes D/T'd atop the receiver walls - but will definitely need a MUCH higher front sight to achieve zero, due to it's greater height (line-of-sight).

This is a Williams 5D-94AE on a .357 Rossi Model 92 (Winchester 1892 clone)

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/DSCN0385-1.jpg?t=1311181148

fecmech
09-08-2012, 10:59 PM
I shamelessly copied Pietro's idea on my 92. Shown is an FP sight with target knob for elevation and Merit adjustable aperture. I'm using the original front sight.

Four Fingers of Death
09-10-2012, 08:02 AM
They's kinda chunky ain't they?

HDS
09-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Why are they so chunky? I have a Wililams FP 94/36 I mean to put on my Rossi 92 and it's nowhere that large.

Looks like this:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fi3crx-lEyk/S5ZHgZGROLI/AAAAAAAAAKI/E-AhnXqfdzk/s640/FinishedInstallation.jpg

fecmech
09-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Why are they so chunky?
The sights were designed for the 94 angle eject to use the existing scope mount holes in the receiver, that's why they mount on the top. The flip side is there are no holes in the side of the receiver if you sell the gun and go back to open sights. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Four Fingers of Death
09-13-2012, 01:38 AM
The sights were designed for the 94 angle eject to use the existing scope mount holes in the receiver, that's why they mount on the top. The flip side is there are no holes in the side of the receiver if you sell the gun and go back to open sights. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

That surely explains it, I couldn't figure out why they made it so much bigger,now it is clear, thanks. Chunky wimmen are ok, but chunky sights, less so. Having said that, if it allows you to fit a peep without attacking the action with centre punches and drills, etc, then the chunky sight is acceptable.

We had a guy in his early 60s at the range yesterday with an old 92' in 25/20 with a Lyman tang sight. He had used it as a youth and found it leaning upagainst the corner of his recently departed uncle's farm shed. Poetry in motion!