PDA

View Full Version : Magma Star Sizer

230EAGLE
05-20-2007, 09:42 PM
NEED HELP?

ANYBODY GOT ONE THAT CAN EXPLAIN HOW TO USE THE DANG THING. CONFUSED UP TO MY EYEBALLS. I'M READY TO SEND IT BACK TO MAGMA.

NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

johnho
05-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Can you explain the problem you're having? If it's lining up the lube grooves that can be a trick. Let us know just what is the problem. When set up they are great, don't send it back.

John

EDK
05-20-2007, 10:55 PM
I didn't get much in the line of instructions with mine 20 years ago.

First thing, go get a cold soda or GUSTO and relax awhile. The STAR is a machine that you play with a lot. Then come back and look it over.

Put a bit of light oil in the holes in the linkages and on the rods that the nose punch, etc slide on. Drop in a lubed bullet in the sizer die every 10 to 15 you size. Make sure the nose punch is set so you pump lube with each stroke. You may have to plug some of the lube holes in the sizer die--this is an experiment so don't drive them in too hard--they are a pain to extract with an awl or ice pick. You may also have to lightly hone the inside of the die if you don't get it all out and start marking bullets. BITTER EXPERIENCE ON THAT ONE!! You also have to play with how hard you pull on the lube feeder handle. If you use hard lube, you will need a heater of some sort. I USE LARS' 50/50 FOR SMOKELESS AND HIS BPCR FOR MY BIG 50 SHILOH SHARPS.

MAGMA did make custom dies and nose punches for your bullet--you send them samples. Give them a call for help--might be tech support on the web site now?

The MAGMA/STAR is a learning experience. You just have to play with it and give it a few sincere curses at first. BUT after you get it set up, you will love it. If you are a heavy duty pistol shooter, you need 4 (or 6 or more) cavity molds, a 20+ pound lead pot, a STAR and a DILLON MACHINE.

:castmine: :Fire:

230EAGLE
05-20-2007, 11:24 PM
LETS SEE WHERE TO START!

HAVE THE MACHINE ABOUT 3 MONTHS. LINE THE BOOLIT WITH HOLES HAVE A HEATED BOX AND IS ON PRESSURE CYLINDER. BOOLIT GOES DOWN AND THIS IS WHEN THE PROBLEMS START. ONE WILL HAVE LOADS OF LUBE ALL AROUND AND THE NEXT ONE WILL HAVE NONE. TURN UP THE PRESSURE BACKED DOWN THE HEAT AND THE SAME THING A MESS. TURN UP THE HEAT ABOUT A 1/4 TURN AND BACKED DOWN ON THE PRESSURE AND AGAIN THE SAME THING. TOO MUCH LUBE OR NOT ENOUGH EACH ONE WILL BE DIFFERENT ON THE SAME SETTINGS.
ALSO THE BACK COMPRESSION WASHER SPRING IS LEAKING OUT LUBE, MAYBE THATS THE PROBLEM. THERE IS ALSO ALOT OF LUBE AROUND THE BASE. HOPES THIS HELPS.
I AM ONLY SENDING IT BACK SO MAGMA CAN POSSIBLE FIX IT.

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE FOR MY SET UP: DILLION 650 WITH AUTO FEEDER, DILLION 900 WITH OUTFEEDER, MAGMA CASTER AND NUMBEROUS OTHER RELOADING EQUIPMENT.

HOPES SOMEONE CAN HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM. I DON'T THINK I AM THE ONLY ONE WITH SOME PROBS WITH THE STAR SIZER FROM MAGMA.
ERIK:castmine: :Fire:

garandsrus
05-20-2007, 11:39 PM
230EAGLE,

I don't get any lube leaking around the base of the machine or by the spring. Where is the base leaking?

I am guessing hat you have the lube too hot.

John

44woody
05-21-2007, 01:14 AM
I had the same problem fought it for about a month then I opened my eyes and look at the spring at the base of the star where the plunger is only to find out mine was broken called magma got another spring fixed the problem some of you might not have the right holes plugged in the die I was doing some 45/70's getting lube a hard wax lube all over the nose of the bullet went to a different set of holes on the die problem fixed I also took off the handle and put a 1/2 in bolt in the top of the pressure rod and a 1/4 in ratchet and socket that is how I add my pressure to the lube it only might take a turn at the most and when there is a gap in the lube ring on the bullet I give it another turn the heat can be a problem to you just have to play with till you get it right hard lubes you don't want it melted just softened up to where it will flow threw the die kind of like soft dough I hope this helps :castmine: 44Woody

johnho
05-21-2007, 09:17 AM
When I got the air cylinder I had major problems. Some bullets were well filled out, others had minimal lube. Cranked up pressure like you did and no changes. Increased temp like you did, no help. Realized somewhere in this mess, after walking away and wanting to throw it all over garage, it shouldn't be this difficult and took the cylinder off. Started looking at how much tolerance was between that nylon plunger and the wall. Seemed too tight.

I sanded the nylon down to make it looser. Had to do it several times. Now it works great but I don't screw the unit down tight so it can move a little. It was just too tight to move freely and keep the pressure constant on the lube. when it did move it was too much pressure and pushed more lube than I wanted.

For some reason, probably due to heating the lube well up the tube it does take awhile for it to run smoothly-maybe a half hour. Once it gets running smooth it is great and is only limited in speed to how fast i can move. the air cylinder makes it much easier.

John

Sundogg1911
05-21-2007, 03:44 PM
I don't get any lube leaking around the bases of either of mine. Sometimes a little near the plunger spring, but not enough to make it tough to just wipe off. It sounds like the sizing die may be out of adjustment. I've run into that with mine. First bullet will have no lube (It missed the groove) second will have the lube from the first one all over the nose. Once I got it adjusted It was ok. I think I just need to mess with heat settings and back off the pressure to correct my problem with the 3 little blobs between the nose and the groove. I know when I was doing the smaller .32's, .380's and 9mm's I was cranking them out as fast as I could pull the handle.