PDA

View Full Version : The Ugly Beast

Good Cheer
09-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Got a rusty, crusty, drilled and tapped .50 Renegade barrel with see through mounts. Now it's freshed out to .54 and perfect fit for the maxihunter. Have repaired an old chipped and cracked stock and bedded the tang. Gonna bed the barrel. And, insert a ring into the rear mount for quick peep.
Anyone tried a scope on a Renegade before? Any considerations you've run into?

Rojelio
09-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Who did you get to do the rebore and how much did it cost? (If you don't mind me asking :?:)

Roger

Good Cheer
09-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Mr. Hoyt did it. $100 including shipping. It's purty!

Good Cheer
09-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Purty on the inside that it.

TCLouis
09-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Did he do deep rifling, or somewhat shallow since it is gonna be a conical gun?
Who is Mr Hoyt and where might he be found if he is a commercial operation.

Might well have a project for him

HARRYMPOPE
09-08-2012, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=Good Cheer;1839107]Got a rusty, crusty, drilled and tapped .50 Renegade barrel with see through mounts. Now it's freshed out to .54 and perfect fit for the maxihunter. Have repaired an old chipped and cracked stock and bedded the tang. Gonna bed the barrel. And, insert a ring into the rear mount for quick peep.
Anyone tried a scope on a Renegade before? Any considerations you've run into?[/QUOT

My fiend has a mount for 1" TC barrels that uses the existing sight holes.it puts the scope a bit high and foreward but is solid

George

johnson1942
09-08-2012, 03:16 PM
thanks goodcheer for shareing what you had done and who did it. i looked up robert hoyt and put all the info on him in my files. now i have another good source for future projects. johnson1942

Good Cheer
09-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Did he do deep rifling, or somewhat shallow since it is gonna be a conical gun?
Who is Mr Hoyt and where might he be found if he is a commercial operation.

Might well have a project for him

0.008" grooves. Should be right for a .54.

Robert A. Hoyt
717-642-6696

Freischutz Shop
700 Fairfield Station Road
Fairfield, PA

HARRYMPOPE
09-08-2012, 06:27 PM
how far out is Hoyt these days?

George

Good Cheer
09-08-2012, 07:01 PM
how far out is Hoyt these days?

George

Far out and groovy (oooh is that a bad pun or what!) far as I'm concerned but what are you talking about.

newton
09-08-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't have a scope on mine, but my stock .54 renegade is really liking the maxihunter right now. I'm waiting on the sun to set a little so it's not blinding me right now. This is where a scope would come in handy. However, I would want one with a good eye relief because this thing is bucking like a mule with a 100 grain charge. A scope too close would for sure leave a mark.

Good Cheer
09-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Good point. If it wasn't already drilled and tapped where it is I sure wouldn't punch holes in it. And where it's got holes is where they is. Reckon I'll try making due and trying to avoid split eyebrow syndrome. But wait, that brings up a quandary...
Any kind of shorty scope is going to have a lens right there where black powder and lube residue come storming out of the nipple. A longer scope is going to be trying to paper punch my gourd. Maybe use a pistol scope?