PDA

View Full Version : First Cast Boolit Kill

JaxCatm
09-08-2012, 02:49 AM
Over the last 6 months I've switched to cast bullets for all my shooting and today I could not be happier. I took my first game animal with a cast bullet at about sixty yards. It was a big male coyote and the load was a 180 Cast Performance WFNGC driven by 12.5 grns of 2400 out of a Ruger 77/357. He was head on in neck deep grass so I held right under his chin. The bullet hit him in the center of his nose and exited at the base of his skull. Far as I can tell it never really slowed down on the way out leaving a nickle sized exit hole. Needless to say he never moved an inch and he won't be eatting anymore sheep. One of the most pleasing aspects of the hunt was hearing that WFN hit. You just don't get that with super load ear ringing varmit rifles. Happy hunting!

JeffinNZ
09-08-2012, 05:56 AM
Well, there's no turning back for you now. Welcome to the dark side and well done.

Junior1942
09-08-2012, 07:54 AM
+1 on the well done!

Gliden07
09-08-2012, 08:03 AM
That awesome!! Congrats!!

swheeler
09-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Yep your hooked now! good job

PS Paul
09-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Good work! That little .357 Ruger looks more appealing to me than the .44 version. Maybe because I cast and load .357? ha-ha

I think the energy dump is probably much greater in practice with that cast load than the theoretical energy transfer of many varmint rounds. Good for you, dude!

**oneshot**
09-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Congrads!!

helice
09-09-2012, 06:57 PM
It pleases me every time I read of a 'yote going down. Great shooting. I have the LBT 180WFN n both pb and gc. Tis a wonderful boolit.

Murphy
09-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Congratulations!

Much like your first reload, your first cast boolit used to take game is always a great feeling.

My first reload's were a feeling of success and independence from having to buy factory ammunition.

The next step up was casting. There's an 8 point rack hanging in my gun room, he caught a Lyman #429421 thru both lungs. That's been many year's ago, I was in my late 20's and I'm 58 now.

Yep, you're hooked. The next best feeling, is teaching someone else how to do it and seeing their feeling of pride and accomplishment once they've done the same.

Murphy

Got-R-Did
09-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Outstanding! I have a quantity of this same boolit built by a Member here, but have yet to work with it. Of course, now I have the motivation thanks to you. It will be shot from an early T/C Contender in .357 with a 10" octagon bbl.
Again, Well Done, Sir.
Got-R-Did.

newton
09-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Congrats! My first kill was just a month or so ago so I know your excitement. I've also only been messing around with cast since the first of this year. Mine was a trespassing armadillo, but might as well been a 10 point buck.

You just don't get this much satisfaction from store bought projectiles.

Lefty SRH
09-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Over the last 6 months I've switched to cast bullets for all my shooting and today I could not be happier. I took my first game animal with a cast bullet at about sixty yards. It was a big male coyote and the load was a 180 Cast Performance WFNGC driven by 12.5 grns of 2400 out of a Ruger 77/357. He was head on in neck deep grass so I held right under his chin. The bullet hit him in the center of his nose and exited at the base of his skull. Far as I can tell it never really slowed down on the way out leaving a nickle sized exit hole. Needless to say he never moved an inch and he won't be eatting anymore sheep. One of the most pleasing aspects of the hunt was hearing that WFN hit. You just don't get that with super load ear ringing varmit rifles. Happy hunting!

If Ruger would build that rifle and the .44 version in LEFT HANDED I'd buy both! I already cast and load for .357 and .44.

Bluehawk
09-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Nice!!!