PDA

View Full Version : Busy day.

.22-10-45
09-08-2012, 02:30 AM
Hello, everyone. Well, the BACO .433 sizer die arrrived yesterday..I needed this size for a first model Richards conversion to a 1980's era Colt1860 army .44.
The bullet I plan to use is from a Rapine hollow base mould. I pan-lube these & since I like to size nose-first..I surface grind the push-rods face flat. A flat-faced top punch does the pushing. Bullets are now a snug fit in cyl. mouths. As I was getting out the RCBS .44 Colt die set, I paused..and decided to do something I had been putting off long enough.
There have been a few changes to the die-lock rings over the years. The originals had the lead pellet under the set-screw. Then came the split-ring type. Now, as I noted on my latest RCBS dies, brass set-screws. These different die-lock ring types are present on Lyman M dies also.
I never cared for the split ring type..if your all set up in press & tighten..it will pull threads & nearly make it impossible to remove die. So you have to tighten these with die slightly loosened. That brass set-screw can damage threads! I have a 7X57 M die that I had to use a thread file on.
I like the "old fashoned" lead pellet under the set-screw the best. By slightly backing out screw..a light tap with either a plastic or small rawhide mallet loosens them right up.
So using some #4 lead shot, I "converted" all those brass set-screw types. BY the time I finished with die-sets & M dies..I ran out of time for the .44 Colt loading...oh well tomorrow.

digger44
09-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Isn't the 1860 Army 44 actually a .451 ?
I'm pretty sure mine is.

.22-10-45
09-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Hello, digger44..yes I believe it is..original .44 Colt used heeled bullet. My cyl. throats are bored for an inside lubed hollow base bullet...I made a hurried call to Jay Strite (Ravens Roost did conversion)..he assured me that all would be well..I guess I will find out? Only thing I can think, is that the bullet will be guided straight thru throat..and hollow base keeping pressure bottled up..until bullet base clears cylinder mouth..then pressure will expand to forcing cone/bore dia...sounds like alot going on..hope it works!

Mk42gunner
09-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Only thing I can think, is that the bullet will be guided straight thru throat..and hollow base keeping pressure bottled up..until bullet base clears cylinder mouth..then pressure will expand to forcing cone/bore dia...sounds like alot going on..hope it works!

That is my understanding of the theory also; but .018" sounds like a lot of expansion to hope for every shot.

Robert