PDA

View Full Version : Marlin-Rem reports

monge
09-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Eneyone buy or shoot a rem made guide gun , thinking about one saw one in the local gun shop gun looked good wood to metal finish a little loose?:not listening:

FergusonTO35
09-07-2012, 10:22 PM
All the Remmy made Marlins I've seen around here have really chunky stocks and forends, same with the H&R shotguns. Otherwise they look about the same as the old ones. The owner of the busiest shop in town says he has received no complaints about the ones he has sold.

rintinglen
09-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Curiously enough, I fired one yesterday.

A fellow I met was interested in my M-71 Winchester, so we swapped guns for a few shots.

My basic impression was that it was a little on the rough side, with a somewhat heavy trigger, but it it shot ok. I got four shots into 2 inches at 50 yards with factory remington ammo. I don't know how well it would shoot cast, but I suspect it would be ok. It seemed like a serviceable gun.

I'd consider buying one, but my neck and shoulder are sore right now and I just don't see the need. Darned few buffalo roaming around my house these days.

mehavey
09-08-2012, 09:41 AM
45-70 RemLin Guide Gun:
Very smooth action that has never jammed -- even on some really long handloads.
Very Accurate
http://i50.tinypic.com/29olnrc.jpg
LOUSEY trigger -- until replaced w/ Happy Trigger/lighter spring. Now crisp 3½ lbs

Gtek
09-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Plenty of good used ones (early) out there from like new to pooch, they need a good home.
Why subject yourself to the risk? Gtek

pistolman44
09-08-2012, 10:33 AM
I just bought a new GBL model, it has the laminated stock and large lever loop. Very smooth lever action and shoots good with my cast boolits. Don't know why I bought it but after seeing it in the gun shop had to have it.

btroj
09-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Beleive what you see and feel, not what you read online.

too much rumor and inuendo regarding Marlin rifles these days.

9.3X62AL
09-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Good point, B Troj.

This thread helped prompt me to visit the local toy store yesterday. It was JUMPING, and store staff was busy. I idled around for a while, snagged a few small things, and eventually the crowd thinned out. I brought my treasures to the register, and asked how the new-series Marlin leverguns were selling.

"Within hours of being displayed. They're all gone"

Indeed, no Marlin leverguns were visible. The clerk said that since Marlins started arriving again, roughly 45-50 had been sold, no complaints had been registered, and that 3 had been returned to the distributor as being unsound in some way. No issues were had from the wholesalers, they just credited the return and kept on marching.

Those sorts of statements, taken in context with the posts in this thread, tell me that things are going to settle out and be all right.

6pt-sika
09-08-2012, 04:20 PM
I've owned a proverbial PILE of Marlin's made up until about 2006 . Which makes them all Pre Remington .

At the moment the two dozen plus I own are all Pre 1976 with one exception that was made in 2001 .

I have handled a couple of the Remington made 336's in the last 3-4 months .

"If" I were not used to my older "worn in" shall we say rifles I would take no exception to the new ones .

Several of the Marlin Cowboys I bought new over the years were a shade rough until I shot them a couple hundred times .

My opinion on the subject is this , IF you see one and like it after you picked it up and worked the action a few times , liked the wood to metal as well as the finish then by all means get it !

As for myself I must be feeling my age as I've found I prefer buying guns that were made a bit before I was born up until about the time I got outta high school . Hence my propensity for Pre 1976 rifles . But this isn;t just Marlin's I kinda feel the same about Remington bolt actions .

FergusonTO35
09-08-2012, 11:40 PM
The biggest thing I don't like is that now Marlin is just a name and a product line, the company and factory doesn't exist anymore. I fear that Cerberus or whoever owns them in the future will not act in their best interest.

bearcove
09-08-2012, 11:46 PM
If they are making guns evidently there is a factory.

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-09-2012, 12:53 AM
I have yet to see any of the taken over and moved down south companies build a product that compares favorably with the old company's offerings.
If you compare the two, you will never buy new...!

Rich
Sua Sponte

btroj
09-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Well Rich, sometimes it comes down to buying new or not having what you want.

If I decide to get yet another Marlin I will look at a new on. If it looks right, I will buy it.

I have a 1894C made at the old factory. It was a bit rough. Like was stated by someone else these guns need a few hundred rounds thru them to smooth out the action. Not a big deal.

It come shown to personal opinion. If a guy is happy with a new Marlin, great. If not, so be it.

I just get tired of the incessant bashing of Marlin. They were bought out and moved. Businesses have that happen. It is how put economy works. People need to get over it and move on.

monge
09-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Remy making them in ilion Ny this region was hit hard in theses times , Most of the machining is done on cnc machinery the final fit wil improve with time . Im glad to see more jobs coming to upstate Ny . Saw a fellow at the range shooting a new marlin bolt action rifle in fact he had two of them in different cal. They both shout 1/2 groups at 100yards he said they have done better,and that he paid less then $400 for them with tax! Both remy made guns in times were almost everything is made over seas it kind of feels good to hold something U.S.A ! I hope that remy does well with marlin Some day we may need these great arms manufactures to save us from the people we are buying all this junk from!

FergusonTO35
09-09-2012, 03:36 PM
If they are making guns evidently there is a factory.

Yes, but it's not the Marlin factory. I have to wonder if Remington built any new facilities and hired more people to build Marlins. They have a rimfire rifle plant here in Mayfield KY, I wonder if Marlin rimfires are built there?

monge
09-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Living in the northeast I have seen arms factories closing down Remy moved the production to NY Im happy that at least they are still US made not brazil .

btroj
09-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Yes, but it's not the Marlin factory. I have to wonder if Remington built any new facilities and hired more people to build Marlins. They have a rimfire rifle plant here in Mayfield KY, I wonder if Marlin rimfires are built there?

If they are making Marlins doesn't that by default make it a Marlin factory?

So it isn't the "old plant" making them any more. Woo hoo. Like I said, people need to move on.

colt1960
09-09-2012, 04:33 PM
I have a 2012 remlin 1895GBL I bought back in feb. I was going to buy online but decieded not to after reading about all the probems with them. I found mine at a local gun shop. Mine is a very well made rifle with good finish and fit. the action cycles great and the trigger is fair. I love the gun and am a very proud owner. Like in a earlier post I dont have any buffalo around either but I can kill anything thing that walks in north america including a buffalo if it does show up. Rick!

fishnbob
09-09-2012, 05:29 PM
I had to send my 1894C back to Remington due to an offcenter firing pin strike would FTF every once in a while and the sights were off center. They fixed it in a couple of days, sent it back timely and upon firing it, I didn't have to move the sights. I was real satisfied with the service and prompt return. They replaced the barrel and installed a new bolt. Action was smoother and so was the trigger.

bearcove
09-09-2012, 05:37 PM

They could do like most businesses and make them in China or India.

Maybe we should be happy where they relocated to.

Still made in the USA.

bearcove
09-09-2012, 05:39 PM
If they are making Marlins doesn't that by default make it a Marlin factory?

So it isn't the "old plant" making them any more. Woo hoo. Like I said, people need to move on.

Maybe a new plant with modern tools will make them better in the long run.

Hopefully they can be profitable and stay in production too.

monge
09-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Thank God the micro stamping bill did not pass in NY rem would have moved the whole company out of NY ! Im going to save my pennies and buy a new giude gun to support the company and to own a great all around shooter!

HBAR2989
09-09-2012, 08:16 PM
I bought a new Remlin GBL in April. I have 0 complaints, and it shoots great. With a Lee 405 PB and 16gr of unique, it makes one big hole. What's not to like?

FergusonTO35
09-10-2012, 08:41 AM
I'm sorry if I sounded like I was trying to pick a fight or undeservedly give Remington a hard time, that is not my intention. I guess it just worries me when stuff like this happens, after Winchester closed their plant their new guns disappeared from shops around here and never returned. Hopefully I will be proved wrong.