PDA

View Full Version : Giant Puffballs

lovedogs
05-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Springtime is a wonderful time of the year. It's the only time I can find Giant Puffballs growing out in the hills where the dog and I walk. If you're in a part of the country where you have them you may want to watch for them. They're a delicacy! In case you don't know what they are, they look like the head of a giant mushroom, but all round, no frills underneath. I don't trust myself identifying most mushrooms but there's nothing that looks like a puffball so they're safe to harvest. These big, round, white balls range from fist-sized to almost the size of a basketball. If they feel firm they're still good. If they are squishy at all they're past harvesting and are gonna to to seed, which is no good.
Take them home and wash them. Peel the outer layer off. Then you can use them like any other mushroom. I like to just slice them into slices or cubes and fry them in butter or your choice of substitute. Very simple but very good. Throw some of them on a plate alongside of your venison steak and a pile of mashed taters and some veggies and you've got vittles fit for a king... or a hunter. I had some for supper last night.

carpetman
05-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Several couples that socialized together decided once a month one couple would host supper at their house. Everyone tried to outdo the other. One woman was going to have staeaks smothered in mushrooms. Went to store and mushroom prices were out of sight. Hubby told her they grow wild in their field. She said she knew but was afraid they might be poisonous. He said they are probably ok as the varmints eat them. So she gathered a batch and they had an old mean yardog named Spot that she didnt really like. She decided to use Spot as a guinea pig and poured bacon grease on the mushrooms so he would eat them. He seemed ok so she cooked the steaks smothered in mushrooms and hired a woman to help serve the meal. Everyone raved about the meal. Then the serving lady told the hostess that Spot was dead. She panicked. Called the hospital and told them she was afraid she had poisoned her guests. They rushed out an ambulance and crew and pumped everyones stomach. Then the server lady came and told the hostess,the bad thing about Spot was the guy that ran over him didnt even stop.

lovedogs
05-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Leave it to you, Carpetman. Somehow I knew you'd find some humor in all this. I figured it'd be of a different kind though. That is a good joke. What happened to that sick sense of humor you usually exhibit?