PDA

View Full Version : Mono VS Lino

Gliden07
09-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Being fairly new to this I keep reading the terms Lino and Mono thrown around. So I Google it and all I can find is the Lino Machine and Mono Machine. The other thing 1 article eluded to was the Mono's Composistion was better than the Lino's because the Lino machine would repeately melt the letters down therfore oxidizing the led more.

Questions I have is:

1) What is the differance between the 2?

2) Is one better than the other?

3) Why would I want either (Other than there Lead)?

And any other wisdom those in the know would bestowe on me!!

Thanks!!

bumpo628
09-07-2012, 12:54 AM
Linotype is 4% tin, 12% antimony, 84% lead
Monotype is 9% tin, 19% antimony, 72% lead

They are both great sources of alloy material. With either one of them, you can mix up just about anything you want by adding some pure lead.

Monotype is hard to come by, but Linotype is sold at Rotometals.com. You can also find either one here in the swappin & sellin forum from time to time.

You can use the alloy calculator in my signature make the recipes a bit easier to figure out.

sargenv
09-07-2012, 01:14 AM
While you can use straight lino to cast boolits if you want (they will be very hard), if you cant Mono straight, the bullets will be too brittle.. a friend mistakenly cast some of his from Mono and had the bullets break in two when they hit the feed ramp of his 1911..

HDS
09-07-2012, 05:35 AM
I got 20lbs of mono at home, use it to make WW analogue alloys. I usually dilute it further by going 50/50 WW/PB then. Need to get a BHN tester to see what the actual outcome is, what change water dropping might do etc.

MBTcustom
09-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Bumpo! that is an improvement over my favorite alloy calculator! It calculates cost! (said with a joyful tear in the eye)
I have tested many many samples of various alloys on that chart and everything except COWW in almost an exact match.
I just set tin to zero and set antimony to 2% for COWW.
Also, linotype has like 5% tungsten in it, but nobody ever mentions it so who cares? The BHN is correct and that's all that really matters.
Thanks for sharing! I'm going to get a lot of use out of this for sure.