PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 Bolt Handle Questions

wtfooptimax200
09-06-2012, 08:21 PM
My brother decided to cut and thread his Remington 700 bolt handle so that he could install an enlarged, screw-on tactical knob. As a result the transition between the square-ish shaped bolt handle and the round tactical knob is abrupt and has a 'hacked' appearance. My thought is to build up the end of the handle nearest the bolt knob with weld and to shape the weld to a smooth, more professional looking transition. Removal of finish is not an issue because the bolt is going to be covered in cerakote, which brings me to my next question: The person doing the finish will be using a masking tool from remington to cover the face and first inch of the bolt to prevent any of the coating from adhering to that portion. Will it be OK to leave the extractor and ejector in the bolt during the coating process. I am not concerned with coating getting on them due to the masking, but I am worried about the heat distorting any of the parts (it is my understanding that the ovens the coating cures in get very warm!).

Thanks for any advice.

John Taylor
09-06-2012, 08:32 PM
It would take over 500 degrees to damage the spring.

pietro
09-09-2012, 01:59 PM
You need to be aware that the Remington 700 bolt handle is "attached" to the bolt body, and is readily available as a spare part (I've ordered/gotten a few, for placement on sporterized military rifles).

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/bolt.jpg?t=1269865616

IDK exactly HOW the handle's are "attached" ( I strongly suspect solder), but would respectfully suggest extreme care with heat, lest the bolt handle separate from the bolt body (as has reportedtly happened in the field with Remington 700's)

tenx
09-15-2012, 12:29 AM
i have read they were silver brazed on. not sure about welding on the handle and how that would affect the silver solder bonding between the bolt and handle. maybe consult someone really familar with remington bolts and has repaired or replaced them before. wouldn't want that sucker to fall off. i'm sure somebody somewhere has replaced remington bolts before...whatever the cost to repair it should be cheaper than sending back to remington for replacement.

flounderman
09-15-2012, 06:43 AM
If it isn't broken, why mess with it. I have never seen the need for the so called tactical bolt handles.

sagamore-one
09-15-2012, 01:53 PM
I do beleive that Remington brazes their bolt handles. A little too much heat when welding will likely cause a two piece bolt. Mine did.
Current trick is to braze or silver solder in place then tig weld underneath .

B R Shooter
09-15-2012, 06:21 PM
If it isn't broken, why mess with it. I have never seen the need for the so called tactical bolt handles.

I agree completely, but............there are many people out there that are making a fortune putting those stupid things on. Pacific sells a jig to hold the bolt at the right posture, and all those custom turned knobs........

If you're going to weld on the handle, wrap the body and handle with cold wet rags, cause they are silver soldered on.

tomme boy
09-16-2012, 12:28 AM
You are not going to be able to TIG the handle on unless ALL of the silver solder is removed. Just use a high temp epoxy to shape what you want. Sand it smooth and get it coated.

John Taylor
09-16-2012, 11:07 AM
To get the bolt handle off a 700 would take about 1100 degrees at the joint. I just put one back on that had come loose. TIG welding will not effect the joint unless you hold it for a long enough time to turn the whole handle red. a small weld around the knob should have no effect on the silver soldered joint.

wtfooptimax200
09-18-2012, 08:10 PM
I agree completely, but............there are many people out there that are making a fortune putting those stupid things on. Pacific sells a jig to hold the bolt at the right posture, and all those custom turned knobs........

HAHAHAHA, that's my brother for you! I'm just trying to clean it up so that I can bear to look at it.

GabbyM
09-19-2012, 11:20 AM
You are not going to be able to TIG the handle on unless ALL of the silver solder is removed. Just use a high temp epoxy to shape what you want. Sand it smooth and get it coated.

Remington supposedly silver solders M700 bolt handles.

High temp epoxy may work. However I had a used M-700 loss it’s bolt handle.
From the looks of the brown colored crud it appeared to me to be glued on. I assumed the glue they use to attach shotgun vent ribs. Since this was a previously owned rifle I can’t say if Remington shipped it glued or a previous owner did that. Probably a 1970’s manufacture.

tomme boy
09-19-2012, 02:03 PM
The epoxy is for the blending only. Not for the securing of the handle.

MT Chambers
09-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Most rifles produce better accuracy when equipped with a "tactical bolt knob".

nanuk
09-20-2012, 04:49 AM

and scope rings set up so high that the 90mm objective lens is about 2" off the barrel, and you set up with your CHIN on the stock.

cheek pieces on stocks are so old school...

B R Shooter
09-20-2012, 08:35 AM
I hope this is in jest.........

mtnman31
09-20-2012, 02:48 PM

I hear that - I spray painted my rifle a special shade of radar reflective, glare-reducing, sound proof, tactical flat black and it started producing 1/4 min. groups. I figure if I can some how get a pool ball (black 8 ball, of course) attached to the bolt I'll be the envy of many internet ninjas. Tacticoooool

fourarmed
09-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Somewhere around, I have a shift knob in the shape of a skull with ruby eyes that would look really good on a 700 Remington.