PDA

View Full Version : 45acp High Point Carbine reloading problem

Kcoyboy
09-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Hello everyone ! Thought I would run by a reloading problem I have! Wouldnt have bought a High Point but pretty good vibes on this gun ! Chamber issue tight sized brass sticks in the chamber even with diff sizing dies inc rcbs and saeco!! The factory ammo I have runs thru it ( havent fired) want to use my cast 210s and 255 gr as they shoot great in my Norinco . get stuck in the chamber of the High Point have to use a cleaning rod to beat them out ( dangerous with loaded founds.. The calipers say less than .470 on the factory rounds and up to 473 in places on the cases pushed thru my sizer die. In 30 years never had a problem like this!!! Any help would be appreciated.

wv109323
09-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Will a resized case get stuck in the chamber. Just resize a case a put it in the chamber. Does it get stuck and need to be beat out. Are the loaded rounds too long? Is the bullet getting stuck in the rifling?
Take a brush and scrub the chamber two or three times to make sure it is clean.
What Bullet and what size are you loading? Weights of 210 and 255 are not the most popular .45 ACP bullets.

Kcoyboy
09-06-2012, 11:31 PM
the resized cases get stuck in the chamber have to use a cleaning rod to help extract! the 2 factory loads extract easily with no help. their exterior dimentions run less than 470 all the way down the case to the extraction groove! the sized cases run up to 473 wide! total size reloads are within specs of length no rifling grooves on the lead bullets! My 45 Norinco has shot both the 210 and 255 gr bullets fine for years! bought a fancy saeco resize die with 2 carbide inserts doesnt size as small as the rcbs they are goin back, the saeco rep said .467 exterior demeintions! have cleaned the chamber with a bronze brush ! this has me baffled im going to strip it down and try to remove the bolt!

Silverboolit
09-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Kcoyboy..I have a 4595 ts and had the same problem..stuck cases..Turns out that the chamber had something, maybe paint , in it. I took a brass brush and my drill and polished the heck out of the chamber..no problems now. I do have to watch my reloads in the magazine as the 230 gr. Rn will drag on the front of the squared off magazine. Thisw carbine will shoot 25 rounds into a 3/4" target at 29 yards if I do my part.
Also, mine has a 9 groove barrel and a little trickey to slug. Good luck and if you need to, return it to MOM and she will take care of you..

Kcoyboy
09-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Thanks silverboolit will try

Kcoyboy
09-07-2012, 01:17 AM
THANKS AGAIN SILVERBOOLIT WAS MAKIN SURE I POSTED TYPED A LONG MESSAGE WOULDNT POST dO YOU KNOW A GOOD SITE FOR DISASSEMBLY OF THIS GUN MANUF INS BAD. FINALLY GOT SOME LOADED DUMMIES TO GO BUT NOT THE RESISED CASES A FIRST IN30 YRS. THIS HIGH POINT COULD DO A BETTER JOB ON THEIR GUNS KIND OF REMINDS ME OF THE SKSS THAT WERE MADE IN TENTS! WHAT ABOUT THAT PLASTIC EXTRACTOR EVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THAT? iS THE GUN EASY TO DISASSEMBLE REMOVE THE BOLT ECT? HOPE THE GUN SHOOTS MY 255 CAST SEMI WAD CUTTERS THEY HAVE A BIG WHOLLIP IN MY NORINCO! 100 FPS FASTER IN A 16 IN BARRELL ABOUT 1000FPS COULD PUT A HURT ON A YOTE THANKS AGAIN APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP!

dualsport
09-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Lee makes a 'Carbide Factory Crimp Die' for .45acp. It sizes the whole case after crimping the boolit. Just barely, not all rounds will have to be sized, but some that are a touch too fat to chamber easy will be sized down by a carbide ring inside the die. They say "for when it has to work" or something like that. I use it on my .45 loads that 'have to work'. Easy to use and works great. Cheap too. EDIT; The die I was thinking of is called a 'Bulge Buster'.

Kcoyboy
09-07-2012, 08:58 AM
THANKS DUALSPORT! iVE GOT THIS AND TRIED IT ON SOME OF MY RELOADS STILL WOULDNT WORK IN THE HIPOINT! iM GOING TO KEEP IT IT SEEMS LIKE A GOOD TOOL! wHATS THIS THEY SAY FOR? NOTICED IT HAS A SEATIN DIE TOO DOES THAT WORK GOOD? DOESNT SEEM LIKE THE OTHER FACTORY CRIMP DIES I HAVE. STILL CANT SEE THE ADVANTAGE OF MY EXPENSIVE SAECO RESIZE DIE FOR $97 ITS GOIN BACK I THINK ( DUAL CARBIDE INSERTS BUT THE RCBS SIZES TO LOWER DIMENTIONS? WHATS THE ADVANTAGE I WONDER THE SAECO REP SAID IT SIZED LOWER ON THE CASE ? WANT TO GET THIS HIPOINT ROCKIN ANYONE ELSE SHOOT CAST THRU IT OR HAVE ONE? ITS A DIFFERENT ANIMAL FOR SURE LOOKS LIKE A MACHINE GUN. WISH NIT HAD MORE CAIPACITY THAN 9 GUESS THEY DON WANT A SITUATUION LIKE COLORADO. CANT UNDERSTAND THE CHEAP PLASTIC EXTRACTORS BUT WILL SEE. THANKS AGAIN

tomme boy
09-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Take off your CAPS! It is too hard to read!

UNIQUEDOT
09-07-2012, 03:02 PM
There is a hi point forum and those folks might be able to help... Plastic extractor??? really???...

dualsport
09-07-2012, 07:00 PM
I edited my above post. The Lee die for sizing loaded rounds is called a 'bulge buster'.

n.h.schmidt
09-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Hi
Where on the cases is the rubbing? Somewhere near the web?. Maybe where the bullet is? Im guessing the tightness is where the case bulges out from the bullet. I have run into this before in tight chamberd guns. If you shoot unsized bullets ,you need to start sizeing them. If you already are sizeing maybe sizeing them a .001 smaller will do the trick. On one of my 45 pistols bullets sized .452 ( actually measures .453) the cases would stick. Sizeing to .451 worked just fine.
n.h.schmidt

kyle623
09-07-2012, 08:13 PM
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/ here's the hipoint site. my 45 carbine eats everything i put in the pipe. reloads and cast. If you bought yours used, I would do the brass brush and drill thing. i had to do that with a mosin nagant i had, solved the problem on it.

Silverboolit
09-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Just a thought..If you bought it used, the chamber could be full of the lacquer that is on steel cased ammo. The steel cases will not hurt your carbine, but the lacquer can build up and be noticed with reloads. Keep on keeping on!

Silverboolit
09-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Plastic extractor?? I just checked mine and they are steel.

Kcoyboy
09-08-2012, 11:00 PM
OK steel extractor had to put magnet on it!! I guess i sound like I dont know guns but with the extractor pulling out and the way it looks not ejecting shells (finish) it looks like nylon or plastic! Its swell its not Mattell. a relief wondered how it could be. The finish work on the bolt looks like a drunk with a dremel. who caresIi want it too function sks s for the most part look bad! but they sure shoot like the Ak! Ok been casting for years size the 45s to 452 dia never had a problem. Bought the gun new at Dunhams for$ 314 with the folding handle a 25 option! Im goin to strip it down ( is the bolt easy to take out) then Im goin to brush out the chamber with a drill on a bronze brush then maybe some Jb have done that before to some other chambers blow it out with my air hose and proceed on. thanks everyone for all the help! ive got a few dummies to go have to experiment with the taper crimp die mor e after i do the chamber it must have some gunk it it or it was test fired with laquored cased ammo? any more web sites for take down stripping would be appreciated! Again Ive never encountered a gun that wont eject a fully sized round then will function with a bullet seated and crimped ! I load for a large variety of calibers too 32 years!

Kcoyboy
09-08-2012, 11:08 PM
OK steel extractor had to put magnet on it!! I guess i sound like I dont know guns but with the extractor pulling out and the way it looks not ejecting shells (finish) it looks like nylon or plastic! Its swell its not Mattell. a relief wondered how it could be. The finish work on the bolt looks like a drunk with a dremel. who caresIi want it too function sks s for the most part look bad! but they sure shoot like the Ak! Ok been casting for years size the 45s to 452 dia never had a problem. Bought the gun new at Dunhams for$ 314 with the folding handle a 25 option! Im goin to strip it down ( is the bolt easy to take out) then Im goin to brush out the chamber with a drill on a bronze brush then maybe some Jb have done that before to some other chambers blow it out with my air hose and proceed on. thanks everyone for all the help! ive got a few dummies to go have to experiment with the taper crimp die mor e after i do the chamber it must have some gunk it it or it was test fired with laquored cased ammo? any more web sites for take down stripping would be appreciated! Again Ive never encountered a gun that wont eject a fully sized round then will function with a bullet seated and crimped ! I load for a large variety of calibers too 32 years!