PDA

View Full Version : cleaning rusty moulds

paul s
09-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Bought 12+ moulds today at an estate sale, they all show some light surface rust, the cavities look ok with no rust. Whats the best way to clean and store these moulds? TIA Paul S

paul h
09-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Knorustol and elbow grease. Not sure if knorustol is still imported, it's like flitz but with some chemicals added that really do a job on rust. I got it from a machine shop supply house several years back and am not sure on the spelling.

A light coating of oil is all that's needed to protect molds when storing them.

paul h
09-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Apparently my spelling sucks

http://www.penntoolco.com/images/catalog/2182.gif

EDK
09-06-2012, 07:09 PM
EVAPORUST at WALMART or friendly local auto parts store. Do some internet price checks so you get it at a reasonable price.

I used it on a bunch of moulds that had been sitting in a wooden box for years. The cavities were pretty good, but the outsides needed attention.

:redneck: :cbpour: :guntootsmiley:

Live2Ride
09-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Try heating white vinegar and placing them in that.

John Boy
09-06-2012, 07:58 PM
... a 50:50 mix of acetone and ATF or Marvel's Mystery Oil. This concoction measured 68 foot pounds using a torque wrench in a test by machinists to open a seized rusted bolt. The lowest foot pounds compared to many commercial products. Shake well before using

felix
09-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Amazing find, JB. Never would have suspected that. Now, just got to remember it: The creepy crawly agenda of acetone! ... felix

azrednek
09-06-2012, 08:12 PM
I've had good luck using liquid dish soap (not the kind for automatic dishwasher) water, and a fingernail brush for light rust. If the rust on the outside of mold is stubborn a cleanser like Comet or Ajax with the brush will get it but do not use it on the cavity. The dish soap and brush without the cleanser has worked for me for light rust inside a cavity. A toothbrush is great for getting inside and cleaning the tiny grooves. If the cavity's rust is heavy and not removed with soap, water and a non-metal brush chances are you will have some pitting to deal with. I cleaned a heavily pitted mold's cavity with an over night soaking of PB Blaster. The pitted mold drops some ugly looking castings but surprisingly they shoot good and do not lead the bore.

For short time storage I use what ever oil is handy usually aerosol Rem-Oil or WD-40. I remove the oil by washing it off with soap, hot water, and brush. For long time storage I use Vaseline. I put the molds packed with Vaseline in a plastic baggie enabling me to handle the molds without getting my hands greasy.

EDIT: Here is a picture of the casting from a severly pitted mold. It shoots best using Lee's Tumble Lube as dropped. The gas check, sizing and hard lube proved to be a waste of time and money. Did absolutley nothing to improve the shot to shot accuracy.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/45266-close.jpg

1874Sharps
09-06-2012, 08:25 PM
To remove rust from small areas like a mold cavity, a special tool that watchmakers use for rust removal is a fiberglass bristle brush pen. It has a little round tuft of fiberglass bristles about 3/16 of an inch in diameter that can be constantly lowered by turning the other end of the pen-like tool as the bristles wear. This tool will not touch metal but cleans away rust very well.

azrednek
09-06-2012, 08:37 PM
... a 50:50 mix of acetone and ATF or Marvel's Mystery Oil. This concoction measured 68 foot pounds using a torque wrench in a test by machinists to open a seized rusted bolt. The lowest foot pounds compared to many commercial products. Shake well before using

Back in the late 60's and early 70's while I was in the auto parts business. Many auto mechanics were using a similar mix using rubbing alcohol and ATF. Depending on whom was telling it. The mix varied from 50/50, 70/30 etc. There were plenty of mechanics that claimed Coca Cola was the best penetrating oil for rusty nuts and bolts. The mechanics would use what ever favorite mix or commercial remedy, use an air nozzle to force it into the threads and then spray it again.

Le Loup Solitaire
09-06-2012, 09:22 PM
I'll second the motion for Evaporust. I didn't know that it was carried by Walmart. I found it at Harbor Freight. It is very efficient and gets rid of the rust without doing anything negative to the object being treated. Simply washes off when finished. On light rust it works fast; on heavy rust it takes longer. Seems like it is just the thing for bullet molds and small gun parts. LLS

Balkandom
09-10-2012, 12:16 AM
How about Naval Jelly?

dromia
09-10-2012, 03:24 AM

I've never been able to get the acetone and ATF to stay mixed long enough to work.

imashooter2
09-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Electrolytic rust removal:

http://schoepp.hylands.net/electrolyticrust.html

A quick and easy set up I have used several times:

http://www.imashooter2.com/pictures/ERR-out.jpg

http://www.imashooter2.com/pictures/ERR-in.jpg

jameslovesjammie
09-14-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm sold on Evaporust. Check out my review:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=124756&highlight=evaporust

Sled
02-05-2018, 06:31 PM
213956These will all prove helpful as I begin a long process of cleaning up 21 vintage moulds I recently acquired.

lightman
02-05-2018, 08:47 PM
I recently use EvapoRust on several die sets. It worked well but it also removes the blueing. I could not find it at any of the Walmarts near me and ordered mine off of Amazon.

Bama
02-06-2018, 01:58 AM
Bought 12+ moulds today at an estate sale, they all show some light surface rust, the cavities look ok with no rust. Whats the best way to clean and store these moulds? TIA Paul S
Look up electrolytic rust removal. It removes red rust and converts it to a light black rust If you want to try PM and I can send you the required eqptment only issue i have found is after cleaning it will re flash rust rapidy unless oiled or waxed I have used system to clean old tools and a micrometer should be perfect on mold blocks. It does not effect any good metral. PM me if you are interested on trying it.

FISH4BUGS
02-06-2018, 09:22 AM
There was just a discussion on that very subject here.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?353422-De-Rusting-the-cavities-of-an-H-amp-G-mould

FISH4BUGS
02-06-2018, 09:23 AM
How about Naval Jelly?

I just used Naval Jelly on my H&G mould. Worked very well.

Sled
02-11-2018, 01:34 PM
I’ll have to try that Vinager method. Live2Ride

William Yanda
02-11-2018, 01:39 PM
my 2 cents-if the cavities are clean, the rust on the outside is cosmetic. Lightly oil and remove loose rust, then oil again to stop further rusting. Anything else is overkill and wasted time and effort.